Would you ever sell your first tarantula?

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
My first is an unsexed juvenile, so I'll sell if it turns out to be male, but not female. I'd want him to have a chance to have kids and not just waste away as a mature male.
Update: it's a definite no now. I don't know the morphotype (she's an Avic). I wouldn't want her to be crossbred with a different one. Sad since I would've tried to breed her myself in a few years otherwise.

Drea

Arachnosquire
I was 8 when I finally got my first T after 4 years of begging my parents. Her name was Roseanna after my best friend and she was G. Rosea. She died when I was 24 years old. I cried like I was that 8 year old little again and was unconsolable for a long time.

My second is a G. porteri is named Aragon and I got her when I was 20. She is an old lady now and I have had her for 15 years. There is no amount of money that could entice me to sell her. It would like a dog lovers selling off their best furry friend. No way.

My collection has grown substantially since then and I am quick to sell or trade a male that I don’t need or can’t find a female for. It feels like such a waste to not give them up for breeding projects if I can’t do it myself.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What was your first T, and do you plan on keeping it till its death (or has your first T already died in your care)?

And secondly, what other Ts in your collection are this special to you? (For me, it's my rescued Euathlus sp. yellow.)
My first tarantula was a mature female Avicularia avicularia, and I kept her for over three years until she died in a bad molt. (She was over 10 years old if the previous owner was right about her age.) We buried her under an azalea plant with flowers the same color as her feet.

I don't plan to get rid of any of my tarantulas that are not mature males, because I like them all and got them with the intention of being their forever home.

However, some that I am especially attached to:

Skyler (mature female Avicularia avicularia)

Bulldozer (juvenile female Grammostola pulchra)

Genicula (juvenile male Acanthoscurria geniculata)

Squirt (mature female Psalmopoeus cambridgei)