Would you ever sell your first tarantula?

Chuckmater

Arachnopeon
There are too many memories attached to my first tarantula (P. Metallica) that I couldn't work up the guts to sell it or give it away. When I tell people that some Ts live up to 35 years, they can't fathom it. These wonderful creatures were meant to last long! I think their longevity is what makes me treat them as beloved pets rather than lab specimens.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first t was an A. avicularia and she died after showing signs of DKS because I didn't realize at the time how sensitive they are to cleaning products and such. I was very attached to her even though I only had her a few months and if she survived I'm sure I would still be keeping her.

I really regret trading my female C. versicolor which was the next t I got attached to. What I regret even more is selling all of her slings. The one I kept for myself had a bad molt once she reached about 3" and died.

My friend gave me a 1/2" G. porteri about 6 years ago and she has been the only other one I've kept for sentimental reasons. I'm really glad I've kept her over the years. Watching them grow up is very rewarding.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would never sell my first two Ts, G.porteri named Genevieve and A.avic named Fuzzy. I’ve had them both for 7 years, rescued them from plastic containers at a Chinese bird market, neither of them could turn around in their plastic containers. Have a lot of memories with them. They are my go to Ts for teaching kids about arachnids :happy:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Absolutely not! My A. genic?! Not only because she’s my first T, but I’d be afraid she would come back and eviscerate me in my sleep. I’ve seen her do it to others, she’s tried to do it to me, and it ain’t pretty.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I would rather sell every other invert in my collection and give up all possibilities of owning any other invert. There is no freaking way I’d even consider selling/getting rid of my first tarantula (0.1 Grammostola porteri). I’ve had her for eight-ish years now, I don’t even know what I’m going to do when I lose her. She’s always going to be the queen of my collection.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My first T was an adult female G. rosea named Ituri that my father bought me for my 12th birthday. I tragically lost her when I lost my entire collection due to being snowed in without power for 10 days when I was around 20 years old... In California of all places! No one was prepared for such craziness. If I lived somewhere where snow was normal, I would have absolutely had a backup plan for my Ts ): I kept her fangs... they are in a vial necklace. I never would have sold her.

My second T - Aidan the P. murinus - was, as I call him, "the love of my T life." He matured as a male and I simply couldn't part with him. I still have his body in my folks' chest freezer all these years later... One day, I'll make a taxidermy display with him.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
The very first T's I ever had ended up dying (noob and slings), but afterwards, I ended up getting an unsexed B. hamorii (back then smithi) turned out to be female. Unfortunately, I went through a really bad breakup that left me in a couple thousand dollars worth of debt. I Prized this tarantula and said I would never sell her, even named her Big Red. At that time I had 40 different species of unsexed, MM's, and MF's. Rough times make a person do whatever they have to in order to get their life back, that being said, yes, I did end up having to sell my entire collection of tarantulas, as well as all my scorpions (if I'm not mistaken I had close to 100). The bright side, it got me out of debt and the guy who bought Big Red is actually on my friend's list on FB and sends me pics of her. At least I know she's well taken care of.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Yeah, um, male LP. What will you give me for him?

That's what I thought.

If he doesn't die soon, I'm going to boot him out the front door. I need his habitat!

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Traded my male B. vagans to a breeder, for a female B. albopilosum. There he can have a partner I'm not yet ready to provide.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
That's like asking me to sell my own child! My P. sazimai is precious to me.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
My female G. pulchra? Don't make laugh. Besides being one of my favorites, she's not exactly easy to replace, especially for what I paid for her.

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
I miss my tarantulas. In my first (failed) move across the country, I found all but two of them new homes. Then I moved home and my collection grew briefly (thanks to a lot of nice people here on the site giving me slings and juvies). But roughly 5 years ago, My life became too unstable to be able to own any of them any longer, meaning it was better for them that I find them new homes.

I don't miss my FIRST tarantula, but I miss the first tarantula I raised from a sling (B. pulchra).
I wish i had a g pulchra :( but money stops me and im technically only allowed one :( id litearlly give me right leg for a pulchra tho aha

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first tarantula was a G porteri i bought together wit a A seemanni in the year 2000. A seemanni is sold but G porteri is still with me!

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Definitely not! I'm super sentimental about my first T. Hopefully it turns out to be a girl. If it does end up a male I think I'd prefer to get my own female for breeding attempts rather than send him off. I wouldn't typically go that route but, yeah, my first tarantula is rather special to me.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I still have my 1st T a female P. cancerides amd I have no plans on getting rid of her.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
I def couldn’t sell my first T. Hell, I have challenges when thinking about selling/loaning any of my Ts.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I would never! Kate's the funniest little thing I've ever had the pleasure to keep, I can't ever see me having a valid enough reason to get rid of her.