Worried for my Cyriopagopus Pagnus

NewbieTarantulaGuy

Arachnopeon
I'm relatively new to burrowing tarantulas so go easy on me. I was at a pet store months back and found her. She had no hide, water dish (they used sponges), and all the workers were too scared to feed her because of her defensiveness. So I picked her up and did my research. I put a lot of dirt mix in her enclosure and put a cork bark in to encourage where I wanted her to burrow. In no time she's dug in and I haven't seen her since.. I throw crickets in every week for months and at most 2 have never been seen again. She always has her burrow hole closed. When should I start to worry that she is dead? Will I be able to smell decomposition or not since shes under a few inches of dirt? She's a 3-4 inch sling, I got her late November. I had a recent passing of another pet recently and it has me paranoid for my spider. I'm sorry if that isn't enough info but I barley have any myself. Any help at all would be amazing.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
She's a 3-4 inch sling, I got her late November.
Definitely not a sling, you have a sub adult, these get around 5-6" at most.
I throw crickets in every week for months and at most 2 have never been seen again. She always has her burrow hole closed.
Dont leave the crickets in there for more then a day or two if she doesn't show interest...they are well known to chew on a molting and defenseless tarantula. A blocked off burrow means it doesn't want to be disturbed, and may be nearing a molt. Your specimen looks pretty fat from the photo, so I wouldn't worry about it not eating.

Remove the feeders and wait, nothing else you can do. A picture of your entire setup would also be helpful.

NewbieTarantulaGuy

Arachnopeon
I actually set a timer on my phone. I put it on 2-3 hours. If the cricket is still there I put it away. And try 5 days later. Thank you. I will get a set up picture up tonight hopefully!

cold blood

Staff member
I never even offer food to plump ts that have blocked off the burrow....doing so is pointless...it will emerge when its ready to eat....likely after molting.