Worried about scorplings

urodacusmanicatus

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,
My Australian black rock scorpion (Urodacus manicatus) has just had her babies, they were all lovely and on her back until I decided to move her into an enclosure where I could keep an eye on her better and make sure she was getting enough food as the previous one was large with lots of hides and places for her to burrow and therefore not find the babies when they disperse. Wile moving her some of the little ones fell off her back and now Im absolutely panicking that this will damage the growth process and that they wont find their way to a good place on the mothers back again despite me placing them on her. Has anyone experienced this before? Im praying they are going to be ok. Riddled with guilt right now.

Thank you so much in advanced !

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hello everyone,
My Australian black rock scorpion (Urodacus manicatus) has just had her babies, they were all lovely and on her back until I decided to move her into an enclosure where I could keep an eye on her better and make sure she was getting enough food as the previous one was large with lots of hides and places for her to burrow and therefore not find the babies when they disperse. Wile moving her some of the little ones fell off her back and now Im absolutely panicking that this will damage the growth process and that they wont find their way to a good place on the mothers back again despite me placing them on her. Has anyone experienced this before? Im praying they are going to be ok. Riddled with guilt right now.

Thank you so much in advanced !
The only time you should ever need to move the mother is if she is in a communal setup. Then carefully collect mum and offspring together if some fall off leave them off and place with mum in new enclosure, they will find their way back onto mum.

The ones you have placed on mum's back may get eaten now and possibly some others due to the disturbance. Never do what you think is best for the scorpion, they are very adaptable to most situations,and you could have collected the young one at a time WHEN they have left mum's back and were running around.

urodacusmanicatus

Arachnopeon
The only time you should ever need to move the mother is if she is in a communal setup. Then carefully collect mum and offspring together if some fall off leave them off and place with mum in new enclosure, they will find their way back onto mum.

The ones you have placed on mum's back may get eaten now and possibly some others due to the disturbance. Never do what you think is best for the scorpion, they are very adaptable to most situations,and you could have collected the young one at a time WHEN they have left mum's back and were running around.
Thank you so much !

I feel sick about what I have done, so I appreciate the information. They have all made it back onto mums back at this stage in the new enclosure. I put in with her two small crickets to make sure she has enough food in hopes she wont eat her young, would this be a suitable move forward? and to just leave her alone, keep humidity up.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Thank you so much !

I feel sick about what I have done, so I appreciate the information. They have all made it back onto mums back at this stage in the new enclosure. I put in with her two small crickets to make sure she has enough food in hopes she wont eat her young, would this be a suitable move forward? and to just leave her alone, keep humidity up.
Best not to offer live food at the moment as mum may see the crickets as prey. If you can remove said crickets without too much fuss best to, in a couple of days offer " crushed " crickets - just squeeze the heads - mum won't see them as a threat and the young will probably eat from them.
And yes raise the humidity slighty to prevent the young drying out and to help with molting