worms ,worms , worms.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
Thats it i refuse to breed crickets . At least in summer . Got cricket paralysis virus , got grain mites , now flies somehow getting inside cricket tub .Maybe just harmless flies attracted by spoiling vegies . Not taking any risks . Crickets must go , at least for now . i`m planning to switch to breeding worms - mealworms and zophobas .
Can T live just from worms diet ? How mealworms and zophobas nutritional values differ ?

basin79

ArachnoGod
No offence meant but with what you've typed above you needed to up your cricket husbandry.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Crickets are filthy. I used to have enclosures for small and large crickets. They stunk, were noisy and came from the pet shop with gnats on several occasions. Oh, and they died really fast. I feed my tarantulas a diet of mainly meal or super worms with earth worms and crickets on occassion . If I have to spend more time working on my cricket husbandry than my tarantula husbandry......no thanks lol. If I get crickets they go right in with the tarantulas. I wont even keep the nasty things overnight anymore.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If your crickets die off in droves, cannibalise, attract every pest they possibly can and stink the place out then you aren't keeping them right.

The only reason I stopped using crickets was because the chirping drove me up the effing wall.

I have red runner and mealworm colonies on the go and I just buy a pack of superworms every now and again for my adults.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
If you keep your crickets in small containers .. when one dies they off Gass .....taking many more with them. Ventilation is key
also for the noise ...buy 3/4 inch size or smaller. They don't chirp till adult.

Worms do have higher nutritional value..... I just hate digging them out when T's are slow eaters.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Crickets aren't that bad, the smell isn't bad in my enclosure. I get maybe a 4 or 5 deaths a week, i do hate their jumping abilities, they can be really fast. I wouldn't personally breed them because the chirping would drive me and my neighbours insane.
I would keep roaches but unfortunately don't think the other people in my apartment complex would appreciate that.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
i`m planning to switch to breeding worms - mealworms and zophobas .
Can T live just from worms diet ?
Mealworms are currently my primary feeder until my dubia roaches start producing some nymphs I can give to my smaller tarantulas. I have not noticed any health problems. However, once you crush the mealworm's head (you should always crush the head to prevent bites or burrowing), it doesn't move very much, so this may not always elicit an adequate prey response from every tarantula.