Worms and Isopods?

SammySpammy

Arachnopeon
I want to make a vivarium (A simple one, in a tub) just as something to experiment and entertain myself with. I also just really like isopods. Will having an earth worm in the soil have any benefits? and will there be any problems? Does anyone have experience with this?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to make a vivarium (A simple one, in a tub) just as something to experiment and entertain myself with. I also just really like isopods. Will having an earth worm in the soil have any benefits? and will there be any problems? Does anyone have experience with this?
Good questions! Since earthworms and isopods will essentially be eating the same thing, there won’t be any benefit to the isopods. Basically, adding the earthworm (assuming there’s only one, and it hasn’t already mated) won’t be a huge issue, except that you will have to change the substrate more often, as it will process substrate pretty quickly. If you have multiple worms, you will basically end up with a worm culture with some isopods in it. :)

If your goal is to keep and enjoy isopods, I recommend leaving the worm out. If you want to witness the interactions between worms and isopods, then you could try it with the worm, and if it doesn’t work out, you could remove the worm.

Jayke

Arachnopeon
I think Aquarimax summarized it pretty well. I currently have a few small worms in with one of my isopod containers, they don't appear to benefit them in any way. The worms tend to avoid the isopods, I don't tend to see them interact in any way, and they generally don't appear to directly compete (though they are probably indirectly competing since they still eat the same food source.) However, I do find that it makes it easier to tell if the soil is too dry or moist. Some of my isopods seem to do in slightly dryer or wetter conditions, and I can normally tell if it is too dry or wet based off of where I can find the worms. If they're at the surface, the soil is too moist, and may grow mold or harm the isopods. If the worms are only along the bottom, and appear to have little moisture, then it's likely too dry.