World's most nicest spider

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
I see the pics buthus and I am sure you know my stance on handling these guys , judging from your post in that 'other' thread.:embarrassed:
Better yet why don't you post a pic of it walking across your face or something like that...give all these younger readers something to look up to:rolleyes:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bull I say. I now understand Sicarius behavior 10X more than I did before. To compare this with antics like putting a spider on ones face is ridiculous ...and tiresome. ..yawn. :rolleyes: As much as I have always respected your opinion, that statement tells me that you miss the point completely IMO.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You cannot be saying not to handle (if thats what you were saying in my thread) if you have pics like this. This is about the most irresponsible thing you could do... not only for the up n comers in the hobby, but for all of us who have been in it and enjoy it very much. You could ruin it for everyone, so theres alot at stake for all of us when you do this kinda stuff. If you handle LQ's, A.Robusta's, and wandering spiders thats your business and I cant say anything against what you find entertaining; At least dont post pics of you doing so.. kids will get the wrong impression.

Godzirra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They crack me up very much, while looking at these pictures i cringed so much. Though in the end i was surprised and found what you shared very interesting.

That's a lovely color it has.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You cannot be saying not to handle (if thats what you were saying in my thread)
These forums arent just some picture book ...ya gotta read a bit to get the facts. You should try that before you type your anxious little thoughts.
Ok Ill crap my own thread with your crap.
My first post in your Sicarius thread ...was it critical? I believe it was an attempt to get back on the subject of the possible "perils" of keeping Sicarius ...some random show n tell regarding enclosure climbing spiders ...it wasnt about handling the species, your age, OR even your attitude. But then after a bunch of new posts, you proved to be a little prick. Not only that, you were arguing the fact that 2cm ventilation holes were just fine for Sicarius. So...if you READ my next post in your thread, you'll find that Im addressing 2 issues. 1st of which was regarding the fact that Sicarious can squeeze through very tight places. 2nd was the fact that you were acting like a little prick. Nothing regarding handling. Ok..so third post...
well thar we go folks! Good luck dumb shmuck!
Nope, no handling opinion there either.
Fourth post... its a response to being called out on my handling pics I posted here. It was a valid call and I was as honest as I could be. Nothing about my opinion whether one should handle Sicarius or not.
Ok...so I think that leaves us with my last post on your thread. A little invite to someone of stature here to respond to my "foolery" and a little rant regarding some of my goofball thoughts. Again, nothing about my opinion whether one should handle Sicarius or not. There was that bit about you needing to shut up because you sound like a "whiny weeny" everytime you post though. That was in there.

Anyway..

As a mod...I don't mind the pics.

If you are a younger or inexperienced hobbyist...DON'T keep these spiders or any others that are potentially dangerous. Get experience with other species and work your way up to what you feel comfortable with.

Chris
Pure and simple...sums it all up as quick as you can read it.

Could you get any close up shots of the Chelicerae?
I'm highly interested to see them.
Turns out to be a bit of a tough assignment ...well, without holding the little devil vertical or upside down or something to get sight of the lower Chelicerae..fangs and all. Probably have to handle the bugger.. plus somehow expose the fangs. Kinda sounds dangerous. ...:eek: :wall: :D

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At least I have enough common sense unlike you to hold something that can kill me. That right there makes you not worth my time, you will get killed and be the first recorded death of a sicarius keeper and ruin it for everyone. Let me post pics of me playing russian roulette and im sure everyone would have something nice to say about it. YOur ignorance will be the death of you, so I can care less about you trying to manipulate your bruised ego into something better. Fact is your an embarrassment to this site with pics of you handleing them, great example from someone who supposibly thinks he knows everything. From the way your randomly jump from topic to topic you arent very mature yourself. Keep digging a deeper hole, I dont care. What makes you so incredible ignorant is the fact that you now the danger of the situation yet you do it anyways. Basically your just saying, "Look how cool I am" when the majority of people could care less and couldnt care more about you ruining their favorite past time.

Last edited by a moderator:

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If anyone can show me evidence that this spider has actually deadly venom, I'd love to see it. Rumors rumor rumors I say! And the paper where they use rabbits (Pucell 1908...1908 is out dated!), yes, I've read it, and no....it's not enough to convince me this would be that dangerous to a human. Wikipedia...also not a credible source.

Anyone?

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Bull I say. I now understand Sicarius behavior 10X more than I did before. To compare this with antics like putting a spider on ones face is ridiculous ...and tiresome. ..yawn. :rolleyes: As much as I have always respected your opinion, that statement tells me that you miss the point completely IMO.
yeah man I love beef also....the comparison sounded rediculous ....right....well so did posting handling pics to me....so yeah your point is made as so is mine...Believe it or not buddy, we might beef on this topic but your opinion I have also respected...;)

But I can also say this and I am sure most would agree.....the controversy and mis-information going back and forth about this spider...might....might make folks and youngsters think twice before touchy feely with this spider.
So our beef could be a good thing:?

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah man I love beef also....the comparison sounded rediculous ....right....well so did posting handling pics to me....so yeah your point is made as so is mine...Believe it or not buddy, we might beef on this topic but your opinion I have also respected...;)

But I can also say this and I am sure most would agree.....the controversy and mis-information going back and forth about this spider...might....might make folks and youngsters think twice before touchy feely with this spider.
So our beef could be a good thing:?
John, I very much appreciate this response. I was thinking today about the "debate" and I started to worry that our beef may have turned to fowl.

Ok.. the controversy, the debate...your beef, yes its a good thing. But, mis-information is NEVER a good thing. Even in some circumstance where it turns out to be a good thing, its still not truth, so why bother. Science that lies is like religion that rapes.
I would venture that its the mis-information about this spider that has enticed a decent percentage of peope to get this specie. I mean, if ya look at the thing, overall its a boring spider... theyre fairly pricey, not all that big, not colorful, hardly ever move...its got the personality of a smashed spent matchbook buried in the sand. Ok,yep, its does a couple real cool things, but pretty much every specie Ive owned or observed does at least a couple really cool things.
Anyway, im fried ...falin asleep in my chair ...had more to say but it'l have to wait.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
The misinformation is wrong I do agree...and when it comes to science there is no room for it
so what do we know about this genus....
Boring bug...heh heh yeah I agree with ya here, anything that lives in sand and doesn't move for years [exaggeration] can't be all that stimulating
dangerous bug...yes, pretty potent venom
smooth surface climber...nah not really
six eyes ...yup
mild mannered...yup, definately not an usumbara here.

I am gonna have to get one now that I know what I am getting into;)

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i started on your pics and right off the bat i was like .
huh?
HEY!
NOOOOO!
NOOOOO!
WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
AAAAH!
NOOOOO!

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bloody hell, why does every get all retarded over someone holding there pet, people call handlers stupid because they are handling something dangerous, well if they can handle something dangerous without being bit then obviously they have some skill.
Nice spider buthus and good thread:)

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Still waiting for that evidence that these are actually dangerous to humans...

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Still waiting for that evidence that these are actually dangerous to humans...
How about clinical testing of the presence of large amounts of sphingomyelinase-D in Sicarius venom? SMD is what makes the Loxosceles spp. toxic, so it follows that large amounts of it in Sicarius carries a similar, though greater risk, due to larger yield and concentration than L.reclusa .

"It is striking that venoms of L. laeta and Sicarius yielded an order of magnitude more total venom protein upon electrostimulation than the other Loxosceles species surveyed (Table 1). Furthermore, SMD activity per unit total venom protein was comparable between these species and the Loxosceles species that have well-documented and serious dermonecrotic effects on human tissues. If the severity of lesion formation is positively correlated with absolute amounts of SMD, bites from L. laeta and Sicarius may be capable of inducing more severe reactions than other species. Analyses of the effects of Sicarius venoms in rabbits indicate that dermenecrotic lesions develop more rapidly after Sicarius bites than after bites of South African Loxosceles (Newlands, 1982; Newlands and Atkinson,
1990a). In fact, some African researchers have touted Sicarius as the most dangerous spider known; however, the biology of these animals makes human envenomation events rare."

Cited from:

http://www.lclark.edu/~binford/SMDDi...ion copy.pdf

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe the appropriate saying for this moment is "oh snap"

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
How about clinical testing of the presence of large amounts of sphingomyelinase-D in Sicarius venom? SMD is what makes the Loxosceles spp. toxic, so it follows that large amounts of it in Sicarius carries a similar, though greater risk, due to larger yield and concentration than L.reclusa .

"It is striking that venoms of L. laeta and Sicarius yielded an order of magnitude more total venom protein upon electrostimulation than the other Loxosceles species surveyed (Table 1). Furthermore, SMD activity per unit total venom protein was comparable between these species and the Loxosceles species that have well-documented and serious dermonecrotic effects on human tissues. If the severity of lesion formation is positively correlated with absolute amounts of SMD, bites from L. laeta and Sicarius may be capable of inducing more severe reactions than other species. Analyses of the effects of Sicarius venoms in rabbits indicate that dermenecrotic lesions develop more rapidly after Sicarius bites than after bites of South African Loxosceles (Newlands, 1982; Newlands and Atkinson,
1990a). In fact, some African researchers have touted Sicarius as the most dangerous spider known; however, the biology of these animals makes human envenomation events rare."

Cited from:

http://www.lclark.edu/~binford/SMDDi...ion copy.pdf
Now this is why I frown on holding these guys

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the quote! The citation doesn't work, can you please provide an author, year, and title?

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool thread, though I don't like handling invertebrates for my own safety and theirs. And, yes, I do think that you are crazy. But I drive a motorcycle on some VERY bad roads here in China, looking for inverts and witnessed someone cut down by 7-8 men with swords last Saturday, so perhaps I am as well. :rolleyes: Therefore, this doesn't change my opinion of you at all, though I wouldn't sell you insurance.

If you want to help the hobby I would suggest writing some kind of statement that you take all responsibilty for your actions and knew the inherent risks so that when they find you with ebola-like symptoms and a spider on the loose everyone else won't suffer. :D