World's most nicest spider

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok.. Ive gotten fairly comfortable with these ...so..lets push one around for awhile...

These are only a few pics ...I must have "tormented" (nothing really terrible) this beauty for an hour. And she remained calm (I mean totally calm) the entire time.

Their legs are amazing! ...like thick fluted tubes that hinge around more like a iron-clad beetles legs.

BTW ...I have been studying/testing the reactions of a small group of these since the day I got them ...slowly & carefully. I had one of DavidRSs rear up and tag my fan brush a while back ...from what I gather, that behavior is rare for Sicarius, yet it reminded me that shat can happen.
So.. if you go now and pull some mindless monkey see, monkey do and you get tagged ..your problem not mine. Dont come whining on the board about how I encouraged the handling of these.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they look fake
btw i noticed a spider playing dead once when i try to give it to my scorpion so it might have been doing just that when u were picking on it

Raikiri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a Sicarius sp.

Very nice shots buthus!! My specimens are also very calm. None of them tried to attack me. They have very dangerous venom, but they don't use it against humans{D And their digging behavior is fantastic!

Raikiri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they look fake
btw i noticed a spider playing dead once when i try to give it to my scorpion so it might have been doing just that when u were picking on it
Why fake? Do you know what kind of spider is it? Have you ever kept it? This is an alive, healty female!

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:) i never said theyr fake i stated that they look fake
pictures are cool btw

JonathanF

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To be honest, if I were a mod, I would've deleted the thread...

These photos might encourage younger and inexperienced keepers attempt "playing" with Sicarius sp.- which wouldn't probably cause a "happy ending".

If not deleting the thread, editing Buthus' post adding a "Don't try this at home!" warning, might be a good thing to do.

P.S, nice pictures Buthus!

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As a mod...I don't mind the pics.

If you are a younger or inexperienced hobbyist...DON'T keep these spiders or any others that are potentially dangerous. Get experience with other species and work your way up to what you feel comfortable with.

Chris

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow... these pictures are really encouraging. I've been watching these spiders for a while now, and really want some because their digging behavior is so cool, but am seriously intimidated by their venom. I've been considering getting a few widows, to get used to dealing with venomous spiders, and work my way up to a couple Siccarius sp. These pics make me really want to get on that.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
......I was just telling someone the other day.... "Yea, you will see some people mess around with Latrodectus, but i am yet to see someone bold enough to play around with a Sicarius!"...... Then it happens.... you are nuts! ;P

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i like sicarius spp., but i can't really see myself owning one (especially not anytime soon) and certainly not playing with one. nice pics :D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yikes. Yikes, I say.

Such a cool spider but OMG, the venom. You are braver than I buthus. I won't even try to free handle my snarkier t's.

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pics Buthus!
Even though I am the proud owner of a bunch of Sicarius terrosus, i dont ever think i am going to handle them, but it defenetly confirmed my theory, that theese little buggers arent as aggresive towards anything else than flies and crickets;)
Regards Mikael

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow... these pictures are really encouraging. I've been watching these spiders for a while now, and really want some because their digging behavior is so cool, but am seriously intimidated by their venom. I've been considering getting a few widows, to get used to dealing with venomous spiders, and work my way up to a couple Siccarius sp. These pics make me really want to get on that.

It's not the venom you need to get used to, rather the behavior. Widows (at least the L variolus i've kept) are extremely timid. You'd have better luck getting a G aureostriata to bite you. As new as Sicarius are to the hobby I guess it's still being sorted out what they're behavior's like. It's good to see they're apparently docile but personally that won't change my mind one bit about getting one.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lost my tripod camera connection thingy thing and it stinks. Felt like trying for some decent close-ups anyway. Ya know, I dont know bout this sigma lense...wish i could afford the canon and have a comparison.
Then again these are shot @800 iso so I spose clarity has been compromised there.
I think their faces are just goofy looking.. some George Lucas monsters face or something. :D