1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World's largest cockroach?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by bugmankeith, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Advertisement
    What is the world's largest cockroach species, and does anyone have pictures of it? Is it available in the pet trade?
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Arachnoking Old Timer

Macropanethensia rhinocerous...most likely spelled differently, though

Megaloblatta longipennis...may be spelled wrong, or the genus may be wrong

Do a GIS for either of these.
  3. Funny name, but a really big roach! Is there anyone who sells them?

4. MacCleod

MacCleod Arachnoknight Old Timer

Macropanesthia rhinoceros......I 've seen these huge roaches a few times offered on Belgian or Dutch fairs, but they were very expensive (about $24 for 1 adult)

Picture is not mine...see http://www.dannesdjur.com/insekt8.shtml for more pix.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Arachnoking Old Timer

Nobody sells the M.longipennis species. The only people in the US known to have them are the smithsonian institution.

However, rhino roaches are sporadically availible for about $100 on this side of the pond.

PM somebody by the name of roachman here on the boards for more info.
  6. Randolph XX()

Randolph XX() Arachnoprince Old Timer

7. lychas

lychas Arachnolord Old Timer

Macropanesthia rhinoceros is the largest, native to australia, not sure how far away i am from their natural habitat tho
  8. I'm not interested in the rhino roach, besides the leaves it eats arent sold here, too expensive also.
  9. james

james Arachnobaron Old Timer

There are many big species out there. True giganteus can be very big, the oblingata are big, the adult rhinos I've kept are very large. There was a new species discovered in Borneo that is suppose to be the longest species. I've just seen pictures like the megaloblatta. Even giant stock hissers can get big.
    PS, I just had my first batch of oblingata babies, YEAH
  10. Do you have pictures of the species from Borneo?
  11. Randolph do you have any pictures of this species? i often hear you talk about it but i cant find any images
  12. Do any of these have common names??? What is the "G" word before oblongata?
  13. McPede

McPede Arachnosquire Old Timer

The new specie from Borneo:
  14. McPede

Gromphadorhina oblongonata
  15. [​IMG]

That is a very colorful roach! Thanks for the name help, pictures of that species would be nice too.
  16. McPede

17. The female looks like a giant cockroach ootheca!
  18. JohnxII

JohnxII Avicoholic Old Timer

As far as I know:

Heaviest - Macropanesthia rhinoceros (available in pet trade)
    Longest body - Gromphadorhina oblongonata (available in pet trade)
    Longest wingspan - Megaloblatta longipennis (not available in pet trade)

And the new species from Borneo, I have no idea... but that looks pretty big too and reminds me of a tarantula hawk!

Here's a picture of my male G. oblongonata I posted a while ago:
  19. Randolph XX()

Randolph XX() Arachnoprince Old Timer

well, to some ppl, it is just a bigger hisser, can't compare to 300 dollar rhino AUSSIE roaches, i got a pair from Double D a while ago , and it'll be pretty common couple years later i guess
  20. Peter_Parker

Peter_Parker Arachnobaron Old Timer

If they breed as prolifically as some of the other roaches. I hear the rhinos breed slower or take longer to mature, or something to that effect.