Working my way up to Pokies

Thewafflishone

Arachnopeon
Hey all, I've been lurking for a while now, but since I'm currently two spooders deep in the hobby, and have questions, I thought it might be time to properly engage.

Currently I only have spiders that are often regarded as good beginner species, A. Chalcodes, and B. Hamorii (a&b, ha!). I'm wanting to get more comfortable with spider care in general with the goal of eventually working up to Pokies. Specifically P. Metallica. I'm expecting to need a few years to really get confident before trying anything with medically significant venom. So what would be good spiders to learn on?

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
Yeah as said, P. Cambridgei or P. Irminia those would help you be ready for the speed

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
If you think you’re ready for pokies and are questioning yourself, you’re not ready. Habits and constant transfers of quick species can help.
Good luck tho :)

FinnMosin

Arachnopeon
Depends on how fast you want to work up. Nhandu and Chromatopelma are more flighty and powerful feeders. That's a logical next step. Psalmopoeus is the best lead up for sure. The only thing they lack is the very hot bite. The speed and defensive behavior is all there. If you are comfortable with Psalmopoeus, you're easily ready for Poecilotheria.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Yeah as said, P. Cambridgei or P. Irminia those would help you be ready for the speed
I concur sir!

Hey all, I've been lurking for a while now, but since I'm currently two spooders deep in the hobby, and have questions, I thought it might be time to properly engage.

Currently I only have spiders that are often regarded as good beginner species, A. Chalcodes, and B. Hamorii (a&b, ha!). I'm wanting to get more comfortable with spider care in general with the goal of eventually working up to Pokies. Specifically P. Metallica. I'm expecting to need a few years to really get confident before trying anything with medically significant venom. So what would be good spiders to learn on?
I'm curious to know what a "spooder" is... :pompous:

Thewafflishone

Arachnopeon
P. Irminia is definitely one I've been looking into, it is gorgeous and I've read that it's a good learning species for people looking into OW arboreal.

Hadn't considered Nhandu or GBB as a learning species, but I've definitely been interested in both. How different are they from B. Hamorii Or other calmer terrestrials?

Spooder is a term of endearment I picked up from r/tarantulas. It goes along with the phrase "spooders gonna spood" and I kind of love it.

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
Hadn't considered Nhandu or GBB as a learning species, but I've definitely been interested in both. How different are they from B. Hamorii Or other calmer terrestrials?
Can't say much since Nhandu is a sling but, mine spends 99% of the time inside it's burrow, but it could just be mine :p mine would rather hide then run or act defensive

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If you want to go the quickest route then get any Psalmopoeus species as a sling and raise it to adulthood (this can take as little as a year for males or up to two years for females), if you're comfortable with that then you're good to get a Pokie.

If you want to take things a little slower then you can look into Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora or some of the faster/feistier new world terrestrials (e.g. GBB, any Acanthoscurria/Nhandu/Lasiodora, G. iheringi)

Both species move faster than what you currently keep, both are faster growing, both have insane appetites and feeding responses, both can be pretty skittish and/or have a bit of an attitude, the Nhandu will also give you experience in maintaining a slightly moist enclosure.

View media item 44938View media item 43485

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm wanting to get more comfortable with spider care in general with the goal of eventually working up to Pokies. Specifically P. Metallica. I'm expecting to need a few years to really get confident before trying anything with medically significant venom. So what would be good spiders to learn on?
If Pokies are your ultimate goal, I'd get a Psalmopoeus sling. Psalmos are the most similar to Poecilotheria in lifestyle and temperament, but their venom is not nearly as bad. (It's worse than what you keep but won't hospitalize you with pain.) They grow quickly, so you will get to practice rehousing (probably the #1 time when things go awry and therefore invaluable experience).

Psalmopoeus cambridgei tends to be the least defensive of the genus, and it gets bolder as it grows, so it won't be a beautiful ghost you never see.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Don't count out Tapinauchinius. Another great genus often overlooked. Similar to Psalmos but more skittish imo.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Don't count out Tapinauchinius. Another great genus often overlooked. Similar to Psalmos but more skittish imo.
I agree ,,,, Tapis are great,,, and will definitely get use to speed....they teleport

Thewafflishone

Arachnopeon
Alright, sounds like my buy list is currently P. Cambridgei, Nhandu Chromatus, and C. Cyanopubescens. Tapi's do look great though, I'll have to consider them in the future.

This hobby is going to murder my wallet. :dead:

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Another great option to go with P.cambridgei is P.pulcher. I find them extremely similar in behaviour, both stay out often the only difference is size and color. These both are great for learning. Though, others have said P.irminia, I actually don't think it is great for experience. This is because you will never see it and whenever you go to do things with the enclosure it will almost never be an issue, it will always run into its hide(if not already there) and seal itself in. With the others there is more of a potential (I find) for teleporting and running out of its enclosure and thus, will give you first hand experience with speed and unpredictability and will ultimately lead you to learning what to do for pokies (which can be unpredictable as well).that said, I believe P.irminia, along with P.reduncus are the best looking members of the genus Psalmopoeus. Given that you only have those two as of current, I recommend not worrying about these, first I would get a C.cyaneopubescens, they grow decently quickly, are terrestrial (generally easier to deal with), web a lot, skittish, not too defensive, great colors, inexpensive, and easy to maintain. This might be an easier stepping stone for now.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Though, others have said P.irminia, I actually don't think it is great for experience. This is because you will never see it and whenever you go to do things with the enclosure it will almost never be an issue, it will always run into its hide(if not already there) and seal itself in. With the others there is more of a potential (I find) for teleporting and running out of its enclosure and thus, will give you first hand experience with speed and unpredictability and will ultimately lead you to learning what to do for pokies (which can be unpredictable as well).
I've learned a great deal from my P. irminia tbh, even though she's pretty calm she won't hesitate to use her speed if she feels the need to (which has resulted in her teleporting out of the enclosure). Literally the only thing I learned from keeping a P. cambridgei was how to pack an MM for shipping, he hid pretty much the entire time I had him :peeking:

Besides, both of my Pokies do exactly what you said the irminia does (bolting straight to their hides) :rofl:

P. pulcher are great though, I'll have to get myself a female after Banshee hooks out.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Mark my words and this name: Psalmopoeus cambridgei.
The best part, in my opinion, of Psalmos is not that they are a good learning experience regarding fast arboreals, but that they are awesome species in their own right. I only have a P. irminia sling, but I will sing her praises as often as possible. Good webber, good eater, not hidey...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The best part, in my opinion, of Psalmos is not that they are a good learning experience regarding fast arboreals, but that they are awesome species in their own right. I only have a P. irminia sling, but I will sing her praises as often as possible. Good webber, good eater, not hidey...
Nah, it's all about 'Internet psychology' and the way the 'social' Internet stuff works - e.g Chris LXXIX (third person moment) leaving that particular comment fast, prior the others, for receive a lot of 'positive' ratings. Ratings that I was expecting.

As for the best arboreal/spider and whatever for end with a 'Pokie' someday, once I had a chick that was a sorta of 'Queen' of the pole dance... she worked in a couple of Italian Night Clubs. After dealing with such 'tree' climbers, no eight legged is an issue, plus I've never heard about a Poecilotheria metallica calling you the day after, saying some sort of honeyed crap :bored:

:angelic:

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Nah, it's all about 'Internet psychology' and the way the 'social' Internet stuff works - e.g Chris LXXIX (third person moment) leaving that particular comment fast, prior the others, for receive a lot of 'positive' ratings. Ratings that I was expecting.

As for the best arboreal/spider and whatever for end with a 'Pokie' someday, once I had a chick that was a sorta of 'Queen' of the pole dance... she worked in a couple of Italian Night Clubs. After dealing with such 'tree' climbers, no eight legged is an issue, plus I've never heard about a Poecilotheria metallica calling you the day after, saying some sort of honeyed crap :bored:

:angelic:
OMG..... your posts always make me smile.....your knowledge and wit,,, you must be blast in person

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Besides, both of my Pokies do exactly what you said the irminia does (bolting straight to their hides)
Mine as well, but I mean the unlikely, yet possible if. I say this because although rare, if you are unprepared and it bolts out it is better to be a psalmopoeus cambridgei rather than a Poecilotheria sp. due to the strong venom of Poecilotheria sp. That's too bad about your P.cambridgei, they look gorgeous, having one hide all the time would be a shame.