Won't eat live food

starnaito

Arachnosquire
I adopted my second crested gecko a few weeks ago as a rescue. He is still a baby (born in early April) and has some tail kinks he was born with. The tail has actually straightened out some in the short time I've had him, so it may be possible to correct it entirely. I'm doing my best to give him the healthiest diet and environment possible, and I hoped to introduce him to live food. However, he's not at all interested.

I tried offering different feeders and also tried smashing the head on a roach to see if he would at least lick the juice (gross, I know, but it was worth a try). I also tried dipping in Repashy, but that doesn't encourage him either. He's not afraid of live food, but just turns his head away once he realizes what it is. He is definitely eating the Repashy, though. I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions before I give up on live feeders for him. I never had this issue with my older gecko.

Also, are there any specific diets you'd recommend that are best for growth, especially for geckos not eating live food? I'm particularly curious about the Pangea breeding formula and if I should start feeding him that. (Perhaps the boost in calcium may help straighten out his tail.)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

IMG_20180919_210346.jpg

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Back when I kept some cresties I had one that had a similar problem. I found out the best way to introduce them to insects was through mealworms and wax worms. Slowly after he began taking small crickets and roaches. So maybe try some mealworms and wax worms?

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Back when I kept some cresties I had one that had a similar problem. I found out the best way to introduce them to insects was through mealworms and wax worms. Slowly after he began taking small crickets and roaches. So maybe try some mealworms and wax worms?
Thanks! I'll see if different worms will spark interest. He didn't want Phoenix worms, but they don't have as much movement.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks! I'll see if different worms will spark interest. He didn't want Phoenix worms, but they don't have as much movement.
Let me know how it goes and I can ask around to some friends if that doesn’t work

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Use Pangea with Insects! Even if he doesn’t ever come around to live food (which he likely will), offering this flavor if pangea provides variation and insect proteins.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Use Pangea with Insects! Even if he doesn’t ever come around to live food (which he likely will), offering this flavor if pangea provides variation and insect proteins.
The Repashy he's eating now has black soldier fly larva in it (it's the new pineapple flavor), but I do prefer to rotate flavors even now and then. I'm trying out wax worms this weekend, so we'll see if I can convince him to try eating his first live insect!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Wow, and when I think how much I struggle to get my bearded dragon to eat his greens!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
In nature half the year or so they eat bugs the other half they eat rotting fruits that are in season.

Use a good quality CG diet and offer crickets once in awhile and don't worry if they go uneaten. They can and many do survive on just Pangea or whatever diet you prefer.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, it has been my understanding that live food can be beneficial, but not essential if you feed a quality CGD.

Mine clobbers insects, though.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Yeah, it has been my understanding that live food can be beneficial, but not essential if you feed a quality CGD.

Mine clobbers insects, though.
I noticed a big growth spuirt with my other gecko when she started eating live food, and she is definitely more active now, too. So I agree it has it's benefits, which is why I hoped to get my baby interested. It's the same with UV-B; it's not necessary, but you will notice the added health and behavior benefits. :)