Wondering when (if at all) to help Mature T w/molt

Cathy W

Arachnopeon
We have a beautiful girl who has molted at least three times with no issues; usually overnight. She’s about 3-4 years old I think ( she’s a rescue)I noticed she was preparing to molt several weeks ago, yesterday she had flipped at around 2pm. This morning the carapace is still not open and I can’t tell if she’s just taking a long while or she’s having trouble. Now I’ve noticed she’s flipped back upright and I see no break in the carapace-she’s still struggling (or appears to be)The cage is registering perfectly humid air and she is wiggling/walking a bit every 20 minutes or so. She was about 2.5 -3inches (not counting legs) before molt and always ate well. I’ve read I shouldn’t intervene until at least the carapace pops, what do you guys think ? How many hours does this part of molting last? We love Miss Cashmere and have never had any trouble with any of our T’s molting. When should I try to help? And CAN I help at this point? Thanks everyone..

Attachments

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don’t think there’s anything to be done. Doesn’t sound good though. It’s possible she could start the molt again and get out, but I think this is unlikely.
By the way, she could be up to 40 years old, if you got her as an adult.

Cathy W

Arachnopeon
Currently she is walking around the cage seemingly normal; she appears to be putting another layer on her dressing room she made a couple weeks ago. It's as if she just decided to not molt... She seems fine by all practical standards, just have never seen one get up and go on about its day without molting....I agree with you- maybe she will start again and finish. (Fingers crossed and good vibes please :)

cold blood

Staff member
She’s about 3-4 years old I think ( s
Shes waaaaaaaaay older than that....just to get to adult size for the species would take 15-20yrs.

The cage is registering perfectly humid air
This is a red flag...explain what you mean.

Humidity isnt relevant to t keeping and this species requires things to be bone dry....moisture isnt good for it aside from a water dish.
She was about 2.5 -3inches (not counting leg
When measuring, the legs are all that count....thats why we call it leg span.
When should I try to help? And CAN I help at this point? Thanks everyone
Theres nothing you can do...the only time you would help is if it stuck....but it needs to start the process before you can help anything.

Doesnt sound like anythings wrong to be honest.

Cathy W

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks for the helpful cristicism. I’m by no means an expert. The local pet store went out of business and was planning to “toss” the T’s outside to “make it in their own” . Clearly they aren’t to be trusted for any of the advice they gave me when I took all of them. None have died or had problems in my care. The humidity in her cage registers dry (I assumed everyone knew what I meant, sorry) and I honestly don’t know which species she is-she’s just light brown with dark feet and I assumed she was a Grammastola. (Being the most common varieties of little mom and pop pet stores). I am a biologist, and clearly arachnids are new to me as pets (2-3yrs now) I did try to use all available avenues of research. When we care for our animals we all worry when we think they’re hurt or need help-these forums make all of us feel better I think-we want advice from others that have real advice from experience-and I appreciate all your answers.
Also-holy poopers I never expected that she would be that old!!!!! The guy told me he thought she was a few years old. (And no-I didn’t know how to measure them-just trying to give everyone an idea for her age/maturity) thank you letting me know how to measure- so she’s actually closer to 5.5 inches-measuring her from above at peaceful stance-across. She’s still just hanging out going about life-got a good drink of water and started working on web pad again.
Thank you everyone for all the insight!!

Ok she’s trying again-hopefully whatever made her stop before has been resolved. Thanks again!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Cathy W

Arachnopeon
Yes!!! Finally-she took nearly two days before the carapace opened, then popped out in less than five minutes and is going about life like nothing happened lol. Thanks for asking!!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yay for a successful molt! Sometimes, they do things we don't understand and it freaks us out... but in general, they are better at being spiders and doing spider things than we are :p

The humidity in her cage registers dry
Even measuring humidity in a T enclosure is thoroughly pointless. They are not like reptiles... moist air does not benefit them, and for many Ts it is actually harmful. Ts who need moisture need it in the form of damp substrate and, most importantly, abundant ventilation to prevent stagnant conditions.