Women and Roaches apparently dont mix

MrRogers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't want to sound like a dick but man up. Don't let someone just say no just because they don't want it.
Now you know the possiblities of infestation are well..none. So take the chance and order them then see how it goes...and we all know there won't be a problem. So just show them whats up.
I admire this spirit, I really do.:D

At least he'll have all of us on this thread to keep him company before he goes to sleep on the couch....

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you tried pointing out the fact that breeding roaches will save money and how you can profit by selling them too? You should and then tellher how you can spoil her with the saved money.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have tried anything and everything. no go.

it's amazing to me how many "man up" posts there are here:} i can't imagine any response from an intelligent and confident woman to that but, "later"

my gf allows the Ts in the room and has said that i am allowed to get a beaded lizard this summer so i can't complain too much. i would like to get rid of the crickets though...

btw, she's afraid of crickets too! apparently roaches are worse though{D

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have tried anything and everything. no go.

it's amazing to me how many "man up" posts there are here:} i can't imagine any response from an intelligent and confident woman to that but, "later"

my gf allows the Ts in the room and has said that i am allowed to get a beaded lizard this summer so i can't complain too much. i would like to get rid of the crickets though...

Has she ever seen hissing roaches in person? Usually women appreciate roaches after meeting some calm hissers.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah, i show her when we see them in a pet store but she can barely stand to look at them...

i'll keep trying and hope that familiarity will ease the disgust but, i'm not gonna hold my breath:}

messiah35

Arachnopeon
Mines not scared of crickets at least. When I brought up breeding roaches she suggested that I breed crickets instead. Then I had to explain to her how that whole process works. And she apparently isnt too bad with touching them. Last night I got home drunk and decided I would feed one of the t's. I proceeded to knock the cricket bag over, feed the t, and go to bed. She then had to go on a cricket hunting mission and catch them all. So I cant complain too much cuz I didnt get yelled at for it.:D

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i would have been beaten. and i wouldn't have been able to defend myself because i was drunk!:}

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, that explains it:}

you'll learn eventually:D may it be sooner rather than later;)

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nope Im not going to let anyone stop me from doing what I want. As ignorant as I may sound, thats how I was raised and that is how I'll live.

I'm done with this thread, im not gonna start a whole debate or anything.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, good luck with that then;)

fair warning though: i kind of felt that way when i was 18 too. now that i'm really old(30) i've discovered the need for compromise:rolleyes: sometimes it sucks but sometimes it works in my favor too:D

no debate necessary, i'm not trying to tell you what to think(sorry if i gave that impression) just telling my experiences.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Which quote are you talking about skippy?, too many people posted really fast. It's why people shouldn't complain about other people clicking "quote" right after what they want to respond to. I wonder if the in-law volunteered to be a scapegoat because of what the your wife wanted ...no roaches! I think it's interesting that people have phobias and realize it. Does she realize it's a phobia and that there is nothing "scary" about them?

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nope Im not going to let anyone stop me from doing what I want. As ignorant as I may sound, thats how I was raised and that is how I'll live.
Why does EVERY 18 year old on the planet say this? And none of them listen to people older than they are who also said it and found out its wrong?? Why ??

If I let a bag of crickets or anything else get out into the house I too would have been beaten senselss by an otherwise fantastic wife who lets me keep anything I want so long as it stays in my two rooms of the house I have for these things.... but past either door into "her domain" and I get first "the look" and then "that tone" of voice..... :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :D

Regarding another previous post:
Many insects are actually cleaner than any dog and cat if properly cared for, so it is odd that may women and some men can't get past the idea of a roach, tarantula, or other bug not being warm and fuzzy.... what is wrong with people? I would love to change this bad image thing bugs have....

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DO NOT tell them they are B. dubia 'roaches'. They are 'bannana bugs' or something along those lines...... tell them they are from a different family, slightly related, but only feed on fruit (a certain fruit, like, bananas) and must be kept at high temperatures or they will not survive. Tell them you are 'thinking' of getting them, but worried that you might be wasting your money because you are not sure if you can be successful at keeping them, because they are so hard to keep alive, them being uber rare endangered wild caught roaches who rarely survive in captivity and who's native habitat is being destroyed since they are so 'sensitive' to environmental fluctuations, and have a specialized diet.... yada yada. And remember, you are not 'lying' your are just slightly bending the truth...slightly....ok....dramatically :)

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes galapoheros, she does realize that it's a phobia (as in irrational fear) just like she recognizes her phobias of moths, crickets, snakes, lizards, ticks, etc.

matt, i'm sure when you were 18 you were just the same much like i was. it's something to do with being a teenager i imagine. nothing wrong with it:}

jadespider, i think it has more to do with scuttling bugs that (regardless whether possible or not) will breed endlessly and infest the house:eek: they don't have to be roaches to terrify her;)

someday i'm sure she'll come around but it's not a big enough reason for me to do anything drastic about:rolleyes:

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just get some and grab a roach and a cricket, flip them over at the same time so she can see they look almost exactly the same, maybe she wont mind them too much after seeing how close they are related. Or just tell her theyre beetles, its the excuse I used 6 years ago at my parents house lol. What they dont know wont hurt them, not like I was keeping Blatella germanica or anything;P

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
DO NOT tell them they are B. dubia 'roaches'. They are 'bannana bugs' or something along those lines...... tell them they are from a different family, slightly related, but only feed on fruit (a certain fruit, like, bananas) and must be kept at high temperatures or they will not survive. Tell them you are 'thinking' of getting them, but worried that you might be wasting your money because you are not sure if you can be successful at keeping them, because they are so hard to keep alive, them being uber rare endangered wild caught roaches who rarely survive in captivity and who's native habitat is being destroyed since they are so 'sensitive' to environmental fluctuations, and have a specialized diet.... yada yada. And remember, you are not 'lying' your are just slightly bending the truth...slightly....ok....dramatically :)
LOL Jade sounds like you've done this before haha!
You can tell her there beetles lol!

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I must have it easy. My wife took care of all the animals (including our 3 roach colonies and cricket colony) when I was away in PNG (while we were still dating) and Africa (a month after our wedding). She doesn't want the roaches getting loose in the house and we've never had an issue with that. (She does get mad when she finds a cricket running across the kitchen tough. hahaha).

Anyway, I just wanted to brag it up since I found one that not only likes my bugs, spiders, and reptiles, but she wants more even though our front room is already taken over by monitor cages. Sorry for the pointless post.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, you should be sorry:}

no one here needs to see anything like that{D