Wolfies vs T's

ThePuzzlerOfRid

Arachnopeon
I've been keeping wolf spiders for the past year, and frankly I find they're absolutely adorable (especially when you see them walking around with a severed leg:love:). And I'm curious how they compare to Tarantulas, the brachypelmas mainly (I think they're so pretty), in speed, aggressiveness, etc., because this weekend I'm going to my first ever reptile expo! My parents aren't allowing me to buy any tarantulas, but I'm honestly just psyched to be able to see some, seeing as Virginia is sadly lacking in native T species.

The way life is going, I know I probably won't be able to get one for the next 5-10 years, but a girl can dream. And start making a list. :biggrin:

cold blood

Staff member
NW t's are slower and tend to be more deliberate in their movements and are much easier to deal with....wolfies are also more aggressive. If your parents were actually well informed it would likely be the other way around....they'd likely allow a t but not a true spider.

Good luck, educate them, facts go a long way in proving points:)

ThePuzzlerOfRid

Arachnopeon
I've tried that.:sarcasm: I guess they're just more use to wolfies.

They're not exactly the biggest fans of my wolfies, the only reason I'm able to keep them, is because last year I found a female wolfie with a few legs missing. I brought her in to "save her" and was planning on keeping her til the grew back, but by then it was winter. I let her go when my siblings found out in June and threatened to tell my parents. I was pretty devastated and came clean about the whole thing, and a few days later, my mom called me to save a house spider from the bathroom sink. I accidentally knocked a leg off in the process, and was allowed to keep her.

Ever since, I've been allowed to keep several wolfies and house spiders.

I do try and inform them, but my Mom is pretty squicked out by all things creepy (snakes, mice, spiders, etc) thought tolerant of them. My Dad doesn't want to know about them, but indulges me.

Hopefully I'll move out in a couple years, but until then I'll tell random strangers on the internet my entire spider ownership life story. :biggrin:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been keeping wolf spiders for the past year, and frankly I find they're absolutely adorable (especially when you see them walking around with a severed leg:love:).
Do they often sever their legs???
Or do u mean the severed leg of a feeder? Lol

ThePuzzlerOfRid

Arachnopeon
I usually use the scientific names for spiders. I personally think it's cute name for a cute spider, but I'm trying to break the habit and use the scientific name.

Cricket legs, MrsHaas. Or grasshoppers. Or another spider's if they felt so inclined, and I was dumb enough to put in with them. Though I get the feeling my lycosides would win. They're tough little boogers. :wink:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cricket legs, MrsHaas. Or grasshoppers. Or another spider's if they felt so inclined, and I was dumb enough to put in with them. Though I get the feeling my lycosides would win. They're tough little boogers. :wink:
Lol thought so

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can't compare a true spider to a taratula really. In terms of speed the usual Brachypelma spp. moves rather deliberately, though they're capable of short sprints. Still, nowhere near a wolfspider. As for defensiveness: Keeping in mind that every tarantula reacts differently to various stimuli, the majority will simply move out of the way, or kick some hairs. Threatpostures or tries to bite are less common though they do happen as well.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I started off with wolf spiders when I was a youngster and I too was not sure how my wild spider keeping experience compared to tarantulas so I started off with some hobby staples, A.versicolor and G.pulchripes. I enjoyed them even if they acted like potatoes and I felt as though I could handle something faster so I purchased a T.gigas and H.sp Columbia...the latter is basically a wolf spider with an orange paint job and the former is considered one of the fastest tarantula in the hobby. The more skittish NW genus, arboreal OW and especially dwarf species are more like a wolf spider than a Brachypelma which I'd consider the polar opposite. Now don't take this as an endorsement to go get a fast OW right away as tarantulas A) Have bigger fangs and B) OWs have very potent venom.

As storm said, tarantulas are more methodical in their movements and would prefer to sit in one spot for most of the day. Even T.gigas has a more relaxed demeanor compared to Lycosids, with H.sp Columbia being the only one [that I've kept] that matches the mania of true spiders. I have moved into Brazilian wandering spiders recently and am reminded that these operate on a different plane than their mygalomorph cousins.

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
"Pokies" is just about as juvenile as "wolfies" even if pokie is a shorthand for poecilotheria. People seem to be okay. With that one just like brachys or grammies. Nothing wrong with enjoying the lingo :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Theraphosidae for life. Here we have, in the Southern part of Italy (Puglia region) the first-born (Lycosa tarantula) the one and only, who got the honor to give the name 'Tarantula/s' to Theraphosidae in a no Internet era. A thing that went viral, sadly.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
My wolf spider was a spastic, angry maniac. He made even my OBT look like a friendly puppy!

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
calling them wolfies...I think I may look into a picking one up now.

"I have earth tigers, baboon spiders, bird eaters, and wolfies!"

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
There are some beautiful dwarf species if they're an option. Mainly Neoholothele incei and those in the Cyriocosmus genus.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I thought that was obvious. 'Wolfies' sounds juvenile.
Come on dude, you have no idea how old the topic creator is. They have an interest in tarantulas and that's cool. No need for that :). Plus they sound pretty mature to me!

If you're used to the speed of "wolfies" a Brachy will be super easy. Just make sure that you don't feed it insects you catch as they can contain pesticide or parasites. Always get feeder insects from the pet store :). This doesn't matter for your own wild caught spiders from around the area but for tarantulas always better safe than sorry. Good luck and keep enjoying spiders!

matypants

Arachnopeon
It's official. "Wolfies" is a thing now. In fact, I'm looking at "Similar Threads" just below this reply box and there is a thread from Oct. 18, 2013 titled: "Polymorphic wolfies". Yep. Officially a thing now. I like it. :cigar: