Wolf Spiders?

Gabe1972

Arachnopeon
Are these wolf spiders?

The first three are of the same spider.

I live in Western NY and I get these in my house once in a while, especially in the fall.

large.jpg large (1).jpg large (2).jpg large (3).jpg

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Your rough guide to IDing Lycosids. Main pair is almost like a Salticid but the upper row outside pair is actually facing backwards about 15-30 degrees. Makes it impossible to sneak up on these folks.
Also, Lycos can't climb. Total clutz in the up department. If it's on a vertical surface it's not a Lyco.

Gabe1972

Arachnopeon
Thank you both for the help. These two types, which I believe are the only two types I get here, are not only impossible to sneak up on, but also can't climb walls. I've seen them try to climb to get away, but they never succeed.

The type like in the last picture tend to be a bit more docile, and I can usually pick them up pretty easily with something to get them outside, including one time actually scooting on onto my hand and taking it out that way. The type in the first three pictures, though, tend to rear up a bit, and I would never, EVER, let one of them up onto my hand. No way. Still, I try to pick them up somehow and let them outside, as well. I do my best to avoid having to kill them.

My folks, who live across the street, get both of these types in their house, as well. Both houses are well over 100 years old and we're way out in the boonies, so wildlife is nothing new.

I'll have to try to get some pictures at a better angle next time so that their eyes are more easily seen. I'll also take a look at the different types in the Hogna genus to see if the darker, heavier type are of that genus, and to narrow it down to exactly what type they may be.

Thanks again for the help. It's very much appreciated. :)

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
check out genus Tigrosa, which is what the first one is. the second one may be Hogna but could also be a Tigrosa.
<3 'em

Veles

Arachnobaron
Second spider is a mature male.
He is looking for a mate most likely.

Gabe1972

Arachnopeon
check out genus Tigrosa, which is what the first one is. the second one may be Hogna but could also be a Tigrosa.
<3 'em
Looking at various pictures it looks like you are dead on. I'll have to read more about these two types. Thank you!

animaliaadvocate216

Arachnosquire
Your rough guide to IDing Lycosids. Main pair is almost like a Salticid but the upper row outside pair is actually facing backwards about 15-30 degrees. Makes it impossible to sneak up on these folks.
Also, Lycos can't climb. Total clutz in the up department. If it's on a vertical surface it's not a Lyco.
I'm new to spiders ,but I have to disagree with you on the climbing part. They can't climb glass or acrylic tanks but i caught both of my Lycos ( g. gulosa, g. pulchra ) on the walls of my basement.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm new to spiders ,but I have to disagree with you on the climbing part.
I'll amend my comment. Given an ideal surface they can slowly and cautiously navigate walls. Hunt on them? Highly unlikely. Climbing any great distance has a very good chance of them falling off. Compare to sparassids.