1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wolf spider?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by rockergirldre, Aug 3, 2019.

1. rockergirldre

rockergirldre Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Had this fella in my window now for about a month I believe. I also believe it molted the other day. I'm pretty sure it's a wolf spider, but not entirely sure. It's caught quite a few small bugs and I throw small ants in often since we have them a lot in our kitchen (yard has a lot of sand, so we get a lot of ants).

Last week I observed it bouncing around the web it made in the corner. I've been the only one who has really got to see it out of its web.. Often when I'm at the sink, it seems to pop out, and run around.

Earlier I was leaning over the counter to get a better look at its markings when it darted out of the web in my direction until I screamed and it ran back.

My boyfriend seems to think it's caught on to who I am and recognizes me. He also thinks the spider "likes" me, if you will.

Can spiders recognize humans in any way, be it vibrations or anything like that.. And am I correct on this being a type of wolf spider?

Edit: normally, I'm terrified of spiders. Always been borderline arachnophobic, but trying to be better about it. They just creep me out. So the fact I've let iy live this long let alone in my kitchen window is amazing. Haha, but it's been fascinating also watching it eat and build its web.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Veles

Veles Arachnobaron Active Member

Not a wolf spider, that is some kind of agelenidae. Male too, judging by the swollen palps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. squidkid

squidkid Arachnoknight Active Member

this dude is correct

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. squidkid

squidkid Arachnoknight Active Member

welcome to AB!

5. rockergirldre

Thanks!

6. rockergirldre

Thank you both!

7. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

@rockergirldre Your original post is a little ironic. You and your boyfriend and this little chap displaying typical interest in finding a girlfriend. He may, or probably will stray out of his web in search of romance.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Case951

Case951 Arachnopeon

My wife and daughter keeps two of those in two separate critter keepers and both have made what looks like egg sacks but I just don’t know one has made two I do think they are over feeding them but I do not know both are wild caught but have been there alone for months

Attached Files: