WOLF SPIDER. pregnant or not?

James Oswald

Arachnopeon
I caught a wolf spider in a local forest area in Melbourne, Australia. It was on the ground just sitting, i had brought catch cups and vials i decided to take it home, i had already owned a wolf spider except it was a lot smaller then the one i just caught. I believe its a mature female but its abdomen seemed really big and looked like it was tight so i assumed it had eaten but when i got home she took a cricket with no hesitation. This then lead me to believe she is pregnant but i hadn't sexed her. i found all the organs and what not, she didn't have the ball arms that males have so i took a photo of her and brought it here hoping for someone that is more experienced with Wolf Spiders.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
She looks gravid to me. Wolf spider bellies don't normally get that swollen just from eating.

Only time will tell!

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I caught a wolf spider in a local forest area in Melbourne, Australia. It was on the ground just sitting, i had brought catch cups and vials i decided to take it home, i had already owned a wolf spider except it was a lot smaller then the one i just caught. I believe its a mature female but its abdomen seemed really big and looked like it was tight so i assumed it had eaten but when i got home she took a cricket with no hesitation. This then lead me to believe she is pregnant but i hadn't sexed her. i found all the organs and what not, she didn't have the ball arms that males have so i took a photo of her and brought it here hoping for someone that is more experienced with Wolf Spiders.
Will you keep her and try to raise the slings if she produces an egg sac?

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
ill keep her and raise the slings as much as i can, i might sell them after a few months when they are on there second or third molt.
I know others on here have experience with this if you are needing tips, although it sounds like you may already have some experience yourself;)

James Oswald

Arachnopeon
I know others on here have experience with this if you are needing tips, although it sounds like you may already have some experience yourself;)
Im pretty new to keeping insects and spiders. Ive been doing it for about 3 months, i have alot but that is becuase i went on a spending frenzy and bought heaps. i am now doing fine and everything well. ive also only had wolf spiders for a month.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Im pretty new to keeping insects and spiders. Ive been doing it for about 3 months, i have alot but that is becuase i went on a spending frenzy and bought heaps. i am now doing fine and everything well. ive also only had wolf spiders for a month.
I see, well you have come to the right place if needing advice!