Wolf Spider Of Some Kind

netherguard

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I found this beauty outside my friend's garage tonight and brought her home with me.

I'm pretty excited since this is my first spider! She's in a critter keeper right now, but I have a larger tank set up for her, I just need a lid to go on it. Shame my phone's camera was having such a hard time with the plastic walls and didn't focus super well.

First spider eh? Congratulations and welcome to the hobby! Kritter keepers work great for wolfies. Just make sure you put in a good layer of dirt and vegetation for her to hide under. You've definitely got a female there, nice chunky legs too. :) Try giving her some flies if you can catch them with a net. Or, go to the pet store and get some wax worms. I don't like to put crickets and wolves together cause I've had instances where the crickets ate the spider while I was asleep. Good luck, and enjoy the brutal ways of the wolf spider!

netherguard

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I've been wanting to keep local native spiders for a while now, I don't know why it didn't occur to me that that's probably a thing people do until I blundered across these forums. I had an old 10 gal fish tank that wasn't in use, so she'll have soil and artificial leaves and extra hides once I get a mesh lid for that here in a couple of days (they were sold out at the store I checked tonight, go figure). For food, I have some small (relative to her size) mealworms for her. She hasn't shown interest yet, but I also just put her in a big plastic box. She's taken offense :embarrassed:

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
It will probably eat store bought crickets but you can easily catch flies as well. I just use a catch cup and goto where there are a lot of flies flying around and landing. If you are quick with the cup its pretty easy to cup a landed fly. Then just slip a piece of heavy paper under the cup and put the fly in the freezer for 4 minutes. It will goto sleep and then you can carefully clip its wings and drop it in the critter carrier. It will take about 2 minutes to fully wake up and start crawling around at which point your hungry spider should chase it down and eat it.

Thanks! I've been wanting to keep local native spiders for a while now, I don't know why it didn't occur to me that that's probably a thing people do until I blundered across these forums. I had an old 10 gal fish tank that wasn't in use, so she'll have soil and artificial leaves and extra hides once I get a mesh lid for that here in a couple of days (they were sold out at the store I checked tonight, go figure). For food, I have some small (relative to her size) mealworms for her. She hasn't shown interest yet, but I also just put her in a big plastic box. She's taken offense :embarrassed:
10 gallons is a little big. The more opportunities for her to come into contact with prey, the better.

netherguard

Arachnopeon
10 gallons is a little big. The more opportunities for her to come into contact with prey, the better.
I didn't think of that :0 I had read that wolf spiders like to roam, but yeah I could see that much floor space being a problem. I'll get her current box all fancied up for her tomorrow, then!

AZCeptipede

Arachnosquire
I didn't think of that :0 I had read that wolf spiders like to roam, but yeah I could see that much floor space being a problem. I'll get her current box all fancied up for her tomorrow, then!
My gals definitely roam but they spend quite a bit of time totally still as well. I use large critter keepers and I feel that's the perfect size for a wolf spider.

netherguard

Arachnopeon
My gals definitely roam but they spend quite a bit of time totally still as well. I use large critter keepers and I feel that's the perfect size for a wolf spider.
Critter keepers it is, then! I'll get her a slightly bigger one today, she's in a small right now, and some extra ground hide places. Thanks for the advice!