Wolf Spider Babies??

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i got a christmas present from my wolfie...a bunch of little babies...heres the pic....i threw a cricket in and she nailed him...also shes out and about now, not hidden....i was curious how the babies eat though...do they get off and then back on after eating? and should i feed her more often now? maybe once every three days?

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you caught her around your house right....just keep her warm and she should be fine....theres probably a good chance the sac is fertile...i caught mine in north carolina at the end of october, early november....and i brought her back to ohio, now i got lots of babies....whats you weather like there?

Sorry for no replies, I've been away visiting family (yay holidays!) Thanks for all the help, we are just going to let her be and see if the egg sac hatches or not. If it does we're going to figure out a way to let them go once they start climbing off of her. That might not even be a problem now though. We accidentally turned off the breaker for our heater and it's been freezing for a few days in my room. Steve is moving, but slowly. Hopefully we didn't kill her :(

Explosions

Arachnopeon
Our weather is normally really cold this time of year, but I caught her around mid/late October and of course she's been warm in my room. Then I left to visit some relatives and my boyfriend turned off the breaker that was running the heater. So it got down to the mid 20s/low 30s and now it's warm again. She was very sluggish when we came back and her egg sac was blue. Now it's warm in the room again and she's perked back up. I just didn't know if it would have shocked her/killed the eggs. The egg sac is bluish black now and looks like a weird tiny golf ball!

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Once the baby spidiies are born they climb onto their Mama's back and stay there until they are fully developed; living off their egg yolks (from their egg). This could take weeks. They go everywhere with their Mama, including hunting, etc. If one sling falls off, Mama Wolfiie will stop what she is doing until it is back on top! It's such a neat process to watch but it might take a couple weeks until the slings are big and strong enough to hunt on their own, without Mama.

Just keep her well fed as normal and keep a close eye on the slings making sure that if they decide to scatter from Mama while your sleeping that they cannot escape thru any holes in their current 'home'. Not a fun situation, at all. ;)

Wolfiies are SUPER MAMA's.. LOL! :p

Congrats on the Christmas babiies and GOOD LUCK! :]

Here is a GREAT article on Wolfiies that might answer a few more of your questions;
http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/wolfspider.shtml

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Look at that litter of wolf pups. Holy cow. That is a much better pic and even though she is covered w/ kids I can tell that is Hogna aspersa. No doubt about it. If you can keep the youngins' going until early spring you can release them. aspersa is native to Ohio.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well in my opinion, they should be fine, i would imagine that the sac being all dark now should mean the babies are almost ready to hatch....

Our weather is normally really cold this time of year, but I caught her around mid/late October and of course she's been warm in my room. Then I left to visit some relatives and my boyfriend turned off the breaker that was running the heater. So it got down to the mid 20s/low 30s and now it's warm again. She was very sluggish when we came back and her egg sac was blue. Now it's warm in the room again and she's perked back up. I just didn't know if it would have shocked her/killed the eggs. The egg sac is bluish black now and looks like a weird tiny golf ball!

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

ok now....the prob with the babies stay on the mamas back for a while.....well it has been 3 days, and now there are about a 100 babies all over the place....and there doesnt even look like there is less on her either....i kinda thought they would stay on her for about a month or so....yeah i did see some fall off and come runnin back up her leg...i even had to take a needle and prod one towards her....but i cant believe after 3 days they are already climbing off....

Once the baby spidiies are born they climb onto their Mama's back and stay there until they are fully developed; living off their egg yolks (from their egg). This could take weeks. They go everywhere with their Mama, including hunting, etc. If one sling falls off, Mama Wolfiie will stop what she is doing until it is back on top! It's such a neat process to watch but it might take a couple weeks until the slings are big and strong enough to hunt on their own, without Mama.

Just keep her well fed as normal and keep a close eye on the slings making sure that if they decide to scatter from Mama while your sleeping that they cannot escape thru any holes in their current 'home'. Not a fun situation, at all. ;)

Wolfiies are SUPER MAMA's.. LOL! :p

Congrats on the Christmas babiies and GOOD LUCK! :]

Here is a GREAT article on Wolfiies that might answer a few more of your questions;
http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/wolfspider.shtml

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

hogna aspersa..works for me...yea im hopin that theyll keep goin...what should i feed them you think? i doubt small roach nymphs...def not FFF, i got some now, but im not dealin with those again....thanks

Look at that litter of wolf pups. Holy cow. That is a much better pic and even though she is covered w/ kids I can tell that is Hogna aspersa. No doubt about it. If you can keep the youngins' going until early spring you can release them. aspersa is native to Ohio.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I offered my tiny slings mini-mealworms. They loved it, and all the slings shared! This was very cool to watch! :clap: Mama was given a medium-sized mealworm to 'keep her busy', then I would drop a few mini's in at a time, til I could see all the slings feeding.

What's also very cool is, the bigger slings would grab a worm, and a few minutes later there would be about 5 or 6 feeding on the worm. Needless to say, none went hungry! {D

S.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Offer pieces of squished cricket. They will eat freshly killed bugs. I keep them in small deli cups, a few spiders per/container. Light misting every few days is key as they do succumb to dehydration easily. In a few weeks the spiderlings will begin dispersing from momma and you just collect them up at the pace that they leave mom. No special temperatures required. Room temp is fine. A little cooler is probably better since the spiders grow up on the forest floor.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i thought about giving the mom one cricket, then another after she has killed it....to help feed the slings....only prob is that the slings can climb plastic, unlike the mother...so they are all over the sides and bottom of the lid...and if i tap the top to scare them down, the mother goes nuts.....might have to keep them all in together until they all get off of the mommie, then try and get them all out at once....also mt green lynx sac looks like it is getting ready to pop open too...can see little green specs in it...so this is gonna be fun....atleast its not my lasiodora parahybana....that would be alot more babies to try and keep...thanks

Offer pieces of squished cricket. They will eat freshly killed bugs. I keep them in small deli cups, a few spiders per/container. Light misting every few days is key as they do succumb to dehydration easily. In a few weeks the spiderlings will begin dispersing from momma and you just collect them up at the pace that they leave mom. No special temperatures required. Room temp is fine. A little cooler is probably better since the spiders grow up on the forest floor.

Cowgirl

Arachnopeon
I can say this not many people post on here. I have a wolf spider and she had a egg sack and carried it for two months then it hatched two days ago so I have 20 little wolf spiders. They are awesome looking and now momma is eating a lot more. I plan on separating them when they climb off her back and keeping a male so I can breed her back when she comes in heat. I live in upstate New York. Here is a good pic of her and the little ones.

Attachments

Cowgirl

Arachnopeon
Yes I'm planning on selling them when they get a little bigger. They have already climbed off their mothers back and are in the little trees. I just gotta figure out what they eat seeings they are really small and they won't be able to eat the crickets so I'll have to find something smaller.

Attachments

Breanna bella

Arachnopeon
I've had a female wolf spider for about a month and a half. It's been by itself, but now it has an egg sac! Could it just be a dud or does it take that long for her to make eggs? I'm really new to spiders, so I have no idea what to do about it if it's not a dud (spider abortion time? :( ). Any info about wolf spiders and how long it takes for anything baby related would be great!
I have a wolf spider that has an egg sac now. I'm freaking out. What do I do? She hasn't even dug a hole for the last few weeks I had her.

Cowgirl

Arachnopeon
I have a wolf spider that has an egg sac now. I'm freaking out. What do I do? She hasn't even dug a hole for the last few weeks I had her.
It's ok when they breed the male wolf spider will leave its geniality (private part) in the female so that way she will get bread and she will have more then one egg sack and if he's lucky he will do that and run before he becomes her dinner. My wolf spider has had 2 egg sacks.

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes I'm planning on selling them when they get a little bigger. They have already climbed off their mothers back and are in the little trees. I just gotta figure out what they eat seeings they are really small and they won't be able to eat the crickets so I'll have to find something smaller.
if you haven't separated the spiderlings out, they're gonna eat each other.
you can feed them pinhead crickets or flightless fruit flies, if you have access to either of those. maybe itty-bitty mealworms. your photo looks like they're a Tigrosa species, so they should be pretty good eaters even at a young age.

i didn't realize this thread was 7 years old, and was getting really uneasy about everyone's use of Hogna aspersa because i'm a nerd.