Will she drown?

McGruder

Arachnopeon
I just got my first T, a gorgeous Brachypelma hamorii (I used to take care of a hamorii, but that was years ago now). I couldn't be happier with her, she's got a fantastic personality and despite being obviously very scared, she hasn't flicked a single bristle.

I'm worried about her water dish, though. I unboxed her about an hour ago and she immediately made for the water. She sat on top of the dish and wouldn't budge, so I thought, okay, she must be thirsty (or just freaked out). But she spent a long time straddling the dish with her prosoma almost flush against the water's surface--I had always thought that tarantulas drink by dipping their chelicerae into the dish. But she was pressing the entire lower portion of her body against the water, and that is freaking me out. Here's a pic:
Priscilla.jpg

I've since nudged her into her hide, and she seems to be camped out quite happily there. I'm wondering, though, if this dish is way too big for her. I'd thought that as long as a T can straddle the dish it should be safe, and I put in some pebbles to give her an extra foothold. I'm wondering now, though, if I should give her a smaller dish. What do you guys think?

I know it's kind of a noob question, but come on. I am a noob! Thanks advance. :)

Spidery spoo

Arachnopeon
I highly doubt she'd drown. If you're worrying about it then clean out a plastic milk bottle cap and use that, they work a treat. :)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
She honestly might have been in the water bowl to avoid that substrate. Woodchips don't provide solid footing like coco fiber, top soil, etc. would, and those sharp corners could prove deadly in a fall. It probably isn't comfortable for her to walk on.

She would have to be fully submerged in the water for an extended period of time to drown, and the hairs on their body are all hydrophobic. So that water dish is perfectly fine, but the pebbles with just make it harder for her to drink and will provide a breeding ground for bacteria, so that should probably be taken out

McGruder

Arachnopeon
Oh? But the substrate is coco fibre! Maybe I didn't pack it down enough?

Thanks for your feedback guys, I feel like a paranoid first-time parent over here!

Spidery spoo

Arachnopeon
You ideally want to give her something she can burrow in. Pidderpeets is referring to a much finer grain of coco fibre

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Oh? But the substrate is coco fibre! Maybe I didn't pack it down enough?

Thanks for your feedback guys, I feel like a paranoid first-time parent over here!
Your substrate looks like it might actually be coco bark or husks or something along those lines. She would be better off with something with the consistency of dirt

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Oh? But the substrate is coco fibre!
It should look more like this:

^ Basically it's just like dirt. No huge chunks.

This is a product called Eco Earth that is usually found in the reptile supplies aisle of your local pet store. You can get it on Amazon too, I think.

Last edited:

McGruder

Arachnopeon
You folks are right! I checked the label again and it is indeed coco husk. She did seem to want to climb the walls of the enclosure when she first entered the tank, so that makes a lot of sense. Thanks everyone!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
To answer your question, she can't drown. And the rocks are useless. First off, their lungs are on their abdomen. So dunking her carapace into the water in no way inhibits her ability to breathe. Secondly, tarantulas cannot drown. The smaller ones literally float on water, and the bigger ones can simply walk out of the dish.

Interestingly, tarantula setae is actually hydrophobic. That means that if they were to be completely submerged, a pocket of air will surround them. It's their own personal scuba tank.

McGruder

Arachnopeon
Thanks again for the feedback, everyone. I've since changed her substrate to coco fibre and I think she's doing all right. She's spending pretty much all of her time clinging to the walls of the enclosure, but I think it's because she's still adjusting to her new environment (the substrate is probably a bit too damp still, too). Tomorrow I'm going to try feeding her...hopefully she's hungry!

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I still can’t quite figure out how they can go anywhere while in the water like that. They can’t see where they’re swimming, so how do they not just go in circles?
They probably do at times. Just 'paddle' until you bump into something you can climb.