Will millipedes have issues surviving 4-7 days alone?

Swynix

Arachnopeon
I travel fairly often, never more than a week at a time, but I wasn't sure if millipedes are self sufficient enough to survive that long alone?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, they should be fine as long as the enclosure retains moisture well. If they are in a really heavily ventilated enclosure (like a screen-top cage) that dries out quickly, requiring you to add water more than once a week, you can cover a portion of the screen with plastic wrap or a big piece of acrylic or glass or something, just to slow down moisture loss while you are gone.

They should have decaying wood and/or leaf litter in their cage at all times anyway, so just toss in a few of whatever veggies you feed them right before you leave. (Not too much, though - or they'll just turn into a moldy, maggot-infested mess).

I travel several times a year, with trips lasting anywhere from a few days to almost three weeks, and my inverts are fine. For longer trips, my husband will step in and feed or water as needed - but I try to keep that to a minimum, particularly after the trip where he accidentally left my M. balfouri communal partly open for a couple of days! (Fortunately, none of them took advantage of it - though it made for a nervous few weeks before I saw all five!)

1000legs

Arachnopeon
I travel a lot for school and as long as the enclosure is misted before you go it's okay. I've left them for 10 days at one point. With enough good and moisture they can be fine for a long time.