1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Dubai roaches stink up an enclosure?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by CoinJar, Sep 17, 2015.

1. CoinJar

CoinJar Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I normally feed my tarantulas superworms and crickets and have never had any issues with odors. A few weeks back I decided to add some variety to their diets and I fed a few of them Giant Hissing Roaches; the next morning I was confronted with a terribly foul odor coming from their enclosures and a mess of roach limbs and internal organs strewn around their enclosures. I sat them near a fan to air them out and cleaned up the roach debris, but the smell only got worse. I had to completely rehouse them and scrub the tanks down to get rid of the odor. So before I go buying some Dubai roaches (am I spelling that right?), I was just wandering if anyone has had any issues with them causing odors after being killed and eaten. Thanks!

2. Khagra

Khagra Arachnosquire

--
    I feed my scorpions only Dubias. Never had any problems with smell, even if they left something half eaten overnight before I got around to cleaning it up. Also no smell in the colony either.

3. Tomoran

Tomoran Arachnoknight

I've been using them for a while, and I've never had a problem with odor (either in the roach enclosure or when they are fed out in the T's enclosure). I DID have a case where I fed a large one out, and the T didn't eat it all, leaving behind a rather large and juicy bolus. It was hot that day, and that one did start to decompose and smell, but that could happen with any feeder. I find that they smell much less than crickets.

4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

That's gonna happen whenever you offer exceptionally large prey. It takes so long for the t to break it down that it starts festering before the meal is done...there is also more left-over leading to a smell. Be glad it was a big roach and not a mouse or something....I've done that and ended up with 20hr eating sessions that smelled like rotting flesh after just the first 6 hours in.

Clean up the mess if you haven't already .

• Like Like x 1
  5. z32upgrader

z32upgrader Arachnobaron Active Member

Moore, OK
    Nope, Blaptica dubia is correct, though I ran across something very curious: http://www.dubaicities.gq/en/index/turkistan-roach.html
    Dubia roaches, native to South America, not the Middle East, are not the same as "Hissers" either. They're from Madagascar off the coast of Africa.
    In any event, as mentioned above, clean up after them, whatever the species, and don't offer a roach that's as big as the spider, as it will take a long time to digest i.e. get smelly and probably make them obese.
    Dubia are great feeders even though they're good at hiding.

6. Khagra

Khagra Arachnosquire

--
    Ah, yeah, z32upgrader's comment reminded me. If you're new to using dubias as feeders, good to know they do burrow some and often hide. Tarantulas are pretty good at sensing the vibrations (from what I've read around the forum) but personally on feeding day I just nudge the roaches into my scorpion's hides so they're picked up quicker and don't have time to hide. Either way, even when my roaches get away from my scorps, they're always found eventually. :>

7. Newports

Newports Arachnobaron Old Timer

Honestly to this day I am surprised how much b. dubias don't smell!

I can leave them for MONTHS without having to clean their enclosure and still even then it doesn't really have any stink to it. Unless there's a lot of adults that die at the same time and it's very hot in the room then it won't smell.

The key though imo is to give them just enough food where they will eat everything and to remove any left over food.

From my long research before I got my first dubias years ago I remember many said that dubias are the least smelling even compared to their close cousins the hissers.

I just wish they didn't breed so darn fast or else I would still keep them but it just seems such a waste for me to keep them and barely feed them off. It's impossible unless you have hundreds of specimens.

I would choose them over crickets any time of the days if need be. Crickets are the worse, smelly, and nasty critters lol I hate crickets

8. shawno821

shawno821 Arachno Pimp Arachnosupporter

I both propagate and feed off dubia roaches,and when I do smell them(about every 3-4 months)it just means it's time to change the egg crates.They are a great feeders,and don't worry too much about them hiding/burrowing.They come out as soon as the lights go out,when your T's are hunting.I feed 20+ adult females and only pull out one or two that haven't been eaten,usually due to pre molt.I so hate crickets,but still feed with them on occasion,just to mix things up.Once a year,I fed mouse pups.
    to get back to your question,dubias do not smell like hissers,and are a great food source.

9. parthicus

parthicus Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

I love b. dubia because they do not smell and are easy to keep. I only feed dubia to my tarantulas and have never came upon an enclosure that had an awful stench. Maybe it is just because of the hissing roaches.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  10. elportoed

elportoed Arachnobaron Old Timer

It's B dubias.
    Only dead dubias smell... correction.... everything dead smell. I think you may have given the prey larger than your T.
    They can only eat so much, so the left over decayed and stunk up the enclosure.
    The bolus may also cause the smell, if you remove it, you should have no problem with the smell.

11. Newports

Newports Arachnobaron Old Timer

On top of them barely having any smell compared to other feeders. They also seem to be the most docile.

12. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Dubia :)
    Dubai is the most famous city of the UAE.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  13. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

And the wealthiest.

• Like Like x 1