Will a smaller Millipede be scared of a larger Millipede?

Alicia Bottomley

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased a second millipede to live with my first (different species, same care requirements) and she is much bigger than I thought she would be...
I'm worried that my smaller millipede will feel nervous. Should I house them separately, or will they be safe and happy enough together?

Thanks everyone!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I don't think they can necessarily even tell how big the other is, since their eyesight is very poor. In addition, they're not likely to encounter each other much. On top of that, I generally don't think they'll care. It's easy enough to test, though--put them together without substrate and see how they behave.

For other reasons, I generally don't recommend keeping different species together--you don't want diseases to jump around, particularly if these wouldn't encounter each other in habitat

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Anecdote that I hope is helpful: I've housed multiple species together of many sizes, including mixed-species babies, and I've never noticed any kind of distress anyone experiences when encountering each other. They just bump and crawl over/under/around each other as far as I can tell.