1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will a meal worm beetle hurt my sling tarantula?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by anoathtoorder, Mar 12, 2018.

1. anoathtoorder

anoathtoorder Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    ok so. i got my first T last saturday, its an avicularia avicularia pinktoe...i started off feeding it crickets which is very successful, but i tried to feed it mealworms. ive accidentally dropped 3 of them and now theyre in the soil, the following picture is not my tarantula but its same size [​IMG]
    now i am freaking out, like total holy **** should i be scared if a fully grown meal worm beetle could any way harm my T???? please someone if you have the answer tell me. and if yes then what should i do

2. MrButton

MrButton Ruler of Straight Lines Arachnosupporter

NH,USA
    For future reference, crush those heads. From what I understand they can pose a threat during molt or post-molt. I'm not sure if they would since you have an arboreal and I think they tend to molt in a canopy of sorts (don't quote me). But I would remove them but I tend to be over cautious as a rule.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    The main concern is when the tarantula molts the mealworm could potentially come out and eat it. It is highly recomended not to leave any live prey item in with a tarantula more than over night. I would find the mealworm and/or rehouse to be on the safe side and in the future try to be a little more careful. Also, crushing the head of an insect is a good additional protection. They still move around but they won't live long enough to be a concern if the T doesn't eat it AND the mandibles should be pretty well out of commision on anything with a smashed head.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoknight Active Member

USA
    MrButton beat me to it...

On a different note, if you haven't already, please search these forums for proper care of avicularia species. There is a lot of misinformation about needing high humidity when really humidity is unimportant but good cross ventilation is required. I thought there was a really good thread on here specifically on avics but I can't seem to find it.... But just searching avicularia care should get you some good information. Or search something like 'help my avic is in death curl' if you want to see the effects of the wrong setup. I hope I'm not coming off as critical, I just want to make sure you got good info for your new baby.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. anoathtoorder

i decided to throw out my crickets and use their deli cup to temporarily house my T, i took the enclosure dumped the substrate and re used my old coconut fiber and i added some of its old bark from the substrate where the meal worms got lost in. i placed everything in the cage like it was before and put the T back in...hopefully she isnt too stressed.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnosquire

Ya you definitely did the rite thing. Its not worth it to risk your T. As mrbutton said unless you know your T is going to eat, just smash the meals worms head and you have no worries. Mealworms are really good feeders for slings. They fatten them up real quick.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

As in you threw out live crickets that would've been perfectly good feeders? Why? Please tell me I misunderstood that.

Avicularia and their close relatives make webs at the top of their enclosures, far away from the ground. Mealworms would burrow and eventually pupate in the substrate on the ground. They would honestly likely never interact unless the Avic was wandering near the ground looking for food (no problem) or it was sick and on the ground (in which case it might die regardless of whether the mealworm is responsible or not).

When Avics go to molt, they seal off their web dens/tunnels so that nothing can disturb them. So even if the mealworm pupated and became an adult before you noticed, any attempts made to eat the sling would be thwarted by that thick webbing.

Ultimately, it's good that you removed the mealworm, but it was likely unnecessary, especially it if was only possible by actually throwing out feeders (again, please tell me I misunderstood)

• Like Like x 1
  8. anoathtoorder

i didnt have a catch cup if it bolted, and i didnt have a container at hand to put her in while i was changing the substrate. besides, i can just buy more. anything for my spider

9. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnosquire Active Member

Get the sucker out. Cut a mealworm in half.

10. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

You don't have a food storage container, deli cup, vial, pill bottle, even a cup with cling wrap on top or empty bottle to hold it in for a few minutes to dig out a feeder? If you had to throw away live feeders to contain your sling for a few minutes, you aren't prepared for your pet. You should always have a catch cup prepared. I've heard of people getting a few deli cups for free just by asking at local delis. And you can go to Walmart and get 2 oz sauce cups that would house even small juveniles, at $1 for 50 cups.

And what kind of enclosure do you have the sling in? Unless the enclosure was too thin to fit tongs in or the sling didn't make a web den like it normally would, you probably didn't even need to remove the sling.

I honestly don't understand the thought process behind throwing out live animals (even if it's just feeders) because you didn't have anything else on hand to use as a container (and I personally have a hard time believing you literally didn't have a single thing you could use instead). And then to say "anything for my spider" when you contradict yourself because it's clearly not anything for your spider because you don't even have a simple catch cup ready.

I'm honestly not trying to come at you as aggressively as I know it sounds, but I'm just so confused and and so dumbfounded that that's what you resorted to.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. StampFan

StampFan Arachnoknight Active Member

Calgary
    You also could have just frozen the crickets and fed them to your T rather than throw them out.