1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by Shrike, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Shrike

Shrike Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    Has anybody seen this show? I believe it airs on BBC America. Is it me, or did Dominic mistakenly identify a large python in the Vietnam episode as a reticulated python. That was a Burm, no?

Exhibit A:
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/wild-things/photos/episode-1-the-giant-water-bug/#129

Other than the fact that they're large constrictors, I think its fairly easy to tell the difference between the two species. Please tell me I'm not hallucinating here.

Dominic Monaghan reportedly has a real passion for wildlife, invertebrates in particular, so I don't intend to bash the guy. I guess I'm just disappointed this slipped through the cracks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. MarkmD

MarkmD Arachnoprince

I watched the series last year, it was quite good especially when their wasn't much on tv lol.

3. peterUK

peterUK Arachnoknight Old Timer

I was surprised when he couldnt identify a GBB considering he is a self confessed 'bug nerd' !!

4. pitbulllady

pitbulllady Arachnoking Old Timer

That IS a Burm, yes. Very different snake in terms of build and pattern from a Retic.

pitbulllady

5. bugmankeith

bugmankeith Arachnoking Old Timer

I saw the giant water bug episode. He was a character in the show Lost which I had watched.

6. Shrike

Not to mention Lord of the Rings. They must not have many snakes in Middle Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MarkmD

MarkmD Arachnoprince

Lol yeah maybe not many snakes and T's, in the lord of the rings, he was a good hobit In the movie, he was a hobit right?, the show could have been better, I do like David attenborough, he has a lot of knowledge in his programs and worth watching.

8. Shrike

Yep, David Attenborough is the man.

9. poisoned

poisoned Arachnodemon

David really is the king of animal documentaries. And he's capable to make you amazed even at most obvious stuff with his warm voice and speaking style. One can really see he's passionate about his job.

10. vespers

vespers Arachnodemon

I watched the "Giant Huntsman Spider" Wild Things episode on BBC last night, and was rather annoyed with it by the end. He played up how it was "dangerous and venomous" and that he was more than a day's journey from medical attention. Then he acted like it was a dangerous feat to let one walk on his hand for a few moments.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MarkmD

MarkmD Arachnoprince

I agree with that vespers. but they have to say things like that to get people to keep watching it after the ads, but we all know that a medical team is with him, so if anything happened he would be fine. though that doesn't mean it's harmless and maybe affect him badly, lol may never know.

12. bugmankeith

bugmankeith Arachnoking Old Timer

Watching his best shows on Nature been playing new episodes each week

13. jecraque

jecraque Arachnobaron

NC
    Apples and oranges much? One of these men makes his living as an actor and has no background or special qualifications besides "might be able to attract a larger fan base to a nature show." Why should anyone be surprised when dude can't make a positive ID? Just because someone professes to like something doesn't mean they know the first thing about it--as I'm sure we've all experienced in some way or another.

Plus, everyone knows that Oprah is the best at nature documentaries.

14. Shrike

Yes, I'm little bit surprised. Burmese pythons are one of the largest snakes in the world and one of the most popular large constrictors in the pet trade. A layman, especially one with a professed life long passion for wild animals, can get that ID right. But the error extends beyond the host. Out of the entire production team, not one person caught this.

They actually did find a reticulated python in the second episode:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/wild-things/photos/episode-2-the-giant-huntsman-spider/#227

The funny thing is the photo from the first episode is still up on the website:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/wild-things/photos/episode-1-the-giant-water-bug/#129

This is just a lack of fact checking and quality control and I find it disappointing.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  15. jecraque

jecraque Arachnobaron

NC
    I don't know, maybe I'm a little more jaded, but really stupid mistakes in edutainment are nothing new. Heck, really stupid mistakes in textbooks are nothing new. It happens, and it happens with alarming regularity. Even Attenborough has said some cringeworthy stuff when it comes to evolution, and I'd expect him to know more than his production team (most with no background in the sciences).

You know, I feel this way on a daily basis about many things.

16. Shrike

I'll drink to that.

• Like Like x 1