Wild caught isopods in scoroion enclosure

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
So I decided to start an isopod colony with wild caught isopods from my home in western Kentucky. I thought maybe I could get some use of of them instead of being just "pets" and put them in my Asian forest scorpion enclosure as a clean up crew. But i was also wondering if it would be a bad idea since they are wild caught. Like couldd they transmit any diseases?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Since they're WC I wouldn't throw them right in. Instead, you can wait for them to give birth and throw some of the offspring in with your scorp. The offspring should at least be free of any pesticides or anything from outside in case the scorp decides to munch on them once they get bigger.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
Since they're WC I wouldn't throw them right in. Instead, you can wait for them to give birth and throw some of the offspring in with your scorp. The offspring should at least be free of any pesticides or anything from outside in case the scorp decides to munch on them once they get bigger.
That's what I was thinking. I just wanted to get some extra opinions.

Mila

Arachnoknight
generally id advise against using anything wild but if for whatever reason you really want to then quarantine them for a life cycle

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So I decided to start an isopod colony with wild caught isopods from my home in western Kentucky. I thought maybe I could get some use of of them instead of being just "pets" and put them in my Asian forest scorpion enclosure as a clean up crew. But i was also wondering if it would be a bad idea since they are wild caught. Like couldd they transmit any diseases?
Don't use the ones you catch but use their offspring. They'll be contaminant free after a generation or two.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
If I decide I really need some isopods I'll just buy them online. I was just planning on keeping the colony just as a pet anyways. They seem to be doing fine I haven't found any dead ones. How do I know if they are reproducing though?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If I decide I really need some isopods I'll just buy them online. I was just planning on keeping the colony just as a pet anyways. They seem to be doing fine I haven't found any dead ones. How do I know if they are reproducing though?
They make easy low maintenance pets and are actually fun to keep too. Females tend to give birth the most in the spring and fall, so you should notice smaller isos running around when you do maintenance or lift up any of the decor in the enclosure.