Wild Caught Brachypelma albopilosum from Nicaragua

ireleana

Arachnopeon
Got this girl a while ago from a friend. The only thing I know is the breeder was from California. I had a name but can't remember. Don't know if she's wild caught or CB but I thought she looked pretty hairy compared to some of the hobby pics I've seen. But then some of the wild caught pics I've seen were total fluff balls lol. @Exoskeleton Invertebrates I would be interested in a sling too of these WC breeding attempts :) 20160110_132551.jpg

Walter1

Arachnosquire
Interesting! I have two CB adult females and a 1.2 WC In the past two months. The male is in pre molt to mature. I will pair all with him. The WCs are definitely more dust bunny-like than the CBs. Why? Beats me, but I'd sure like to know.

In my opinion it is a huge blessing the wild caught N.B.a. came into the U.S. This will give us the opportunity to test: 1. If we keep the bloodlines pure and only breeding the wild caught offspring to different wild caught offspring (try to get as diverse, from a different locality, and to be brought in a different time as well by the importers) 2. If we breed only the off spring of the same tarantula G-1 to G-2 etc...3. If we breed wild caught specimens to hobby form.....What exactly pure bred, inbreeding, or cross breeding will do to this beautiful creation.

May prove, for this specie at least, if there is any problem with in breeding, pure blood breeding, or cross breeding (to hobby form only), and what they look like ;)

Walter1

Arachnosquire
The hobby forms have been inbred, cross bred, and hybridized for years. It's best to keep these new imports separate from the hobby form, or we will end up with the same watered down version of albopilosum that we've had for years. If you see one on a dealers table, don't just assume its one of the Nicaraguan imports, ask the dealer where they came from. If he doean't know, don't buy it. I saw a dealer this weekend that had the imports on his table right next to hobby forms. They were all labeled "Brachypelam albopilosum". The reptile importers and dealers that are selling these could care less about keeping them pure, they are just in it to make a few bucks on the side.

Later, Tom
CORRECT!

Walter1

Arachnosquire
True, but WC isn't the answer for that. That's not the answer for defend those against greed, money, globalism. No one care about T's, no one cared, it's normal, because only few today really care about something (and i'm not talking about T's).
All the more reason that T breeders should aim exclusively for producing region-specific forms.

Walter1

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately, for the vast majority of the species in the hobby now, there are no new bloodlines, nor is there any likelihood of it in the future. We will eventually find out if there are any long term effects from inbreeding.
The very biggest concern in T-keeping, I believe.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got this girl a while ago from a friend. The only thing I know is the breeder was from California. I had a name but can't remember. Don't know if she's wild caught or CB but I thought she looked pretty hairy compared to some of the hobby pics I've seen. But then some of the wild caught pics I've seen were total fluff balls lol. @Exoskeleton Invertebrates I would be interested in a sling too of these WC breeding attempts :) View attachment 206177
Yours is also one of the wild caught specimens. I would try really hard to fine another wild caught albopilosum that's a male. I would not breed any of the wild caught with the hobby form. We have a chance to clean out old bloodlines that have been muddled with and start with new fresh bloodlines in our hobby without having to use any of of the hobby form for mating purposes.
Of course this is my opinion.

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Brachypelma albopilosum - dark form- Honduras
http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/...ilosum-Valerio-1980-female-dark-form-Honduras

Looks like the hobby form to me.
Are we sure the hobby albos are degraded due to inbreeding and hybridizing? It really could be just the original collecting locale. I am very uncomfortable with fostering a huge demand for wild caught specimens. I think captive breeding should be the rule for all species except in very dire circumstances.

matypants

Arachnopeon
Are we sure the hobby albos are degraded due to inbreeding and hybridizing? It really could be just the original collecting locale. I am very uncomfortable with fostering a huge demand for wild caught specimens. I think captive breeding should be the rule for all species except in very dire circumstances.
It's all speculative.

ireleana

Arachnopeon
Yours is also one of the wild caught specimens. I would try really hard to fine another wild caught albopilosum that's a male. I would not breed any of the wild caught with the hobby form. We have a chance to clean out old bloodlines that have been muddled with and start with new fresh bloodlines in our hobby without having to use any of of the hobby form for mating purposes.
Of course this is my opinion.
I do want to get into breeding and am interested in taking this on lol! I also have a WC H. lividum that after further research learned she was brought in with 10 others recently for breeding but they didn't decide to breed her. I was told because she was sub adult but I think she's full size and if she is WC then how would they know? Anyways, I want to breed her too for some fresh bloodline. I am more than happy to help with this curly hair situation. But it seems you are the guy to get the wild caught males from lol. I have never bred tarantulas, however I'm up to my neck true spiders atm... If there is anyone in Washington state that would like to help, to make sure it goes well since WC males are hard to come by, feel free to PM me. I'm willing to loan her out as well if needed. Just give me some babies :) One thing I noticed today, she rolled up a tube of substrate and is starting to close her hide off. Obviously molting but rolling up the substrate into a loose chunk made me think possible eggsac but I have no clue with this or this species. Don't some incorporate sub into the eggsac or am I mistaken? Anyways, let me know how I can help.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would help if you post photo of your specimen than we can determine whether yours is one of the Nicaraguan wild caught curly hairs.
I don't live in Washington so I won't be much help. As for immature males yes I do have some but so far I'm keeping them.

So far from what I've been reading from some of you AB members seem to be in denial that hybreeding or inbreeding has not cause an effect on the albopilosum species. As Tom (Philth) and as for myself we've mentioned that this has been a problem with the curly's. It's not speculative we've seen the different forms of hybrids boehmei/baumgarteni and as well as geniculata/brocklehursti. Let me give you an example, both of this specimens were sold as geniculata both are roughly equal in size, which one do you believe is hybrid geniculata and the other the true "Giant White Knee"?

What's sad about the albopilosum that there are a few people that I have spoken with don't care about breeding wild caught to wild caught specimens they rather try to breed the wild caught with the captive born specimens which in this case in my opinion is ridiculous. We have a chance to improve the future stock of the albopilosum and to learn of not repeating the mistakes that was once done.

I guess you can't win them all.

gottarantulas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So final analysis then is that the captive bred, hybridized and inbred specimens are less fluffy than their WC counterparts? Is that what we're deeming as the distinction?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So final analysis then is that the captive bred, hybridized and inbred specimens are less fluffy than their WC counterparts? Is that what we're deeming as the distinction?
Believe that if you want to, but you must also acknowledge that there are both long haired and short haired wild populations, as shown by Rick West's photos (link in a prior post above).

gottarantulas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Short haired and long haired populations? Arrrrrgh! Another monkey thrown in the debate and confusion. Incidentally, I saw what I think is a distinction just the other day, between Curly Hairs that I have previously owned (less hair, the hair being more wirey in appearance , darker carapace and an overall larger T) versus a recent import shipment at my local LPS (which are far more fluffier, lighter coloration in appearance and smaller as mature adults).

Walter1

Arachnosquire
Correct. The Nicaraguan line should remain intact. Anything else is something else. Trouble???
It would help if you post photo of your specimen than we can determine whether yours is one of the Nicaraguan wild caught curly hairs.
I don't live in Washington so I won't be much help. As for immature males yes I do have some but so far I'm keeping them.

So far from what I've been reading from some of you AB members seem to be in denial that hybreeding or inbreeding has not cause an effect on the albopilosum species. As Tom (Philth) and as for myself we've mentioned that this has been a problem with the curly's. It's not speculative we've seen the different forms of hybrids boehmei/baumgarteni and as well as geniculata/brocklehursti. Let me give you an example, both of this specimens were sold as geniculata both are roughly equal in size, which one do you believe is hybrid geniculata and the other the true "Giant White Knee"?

What's sad about the albopilosum that there are a few people that I have spoken with don't care about breeding wild caught to wild caught specimens they rather try to breed the wild caught with the captive born specimens which in this case in my opinion is ridiculous. We have a chance to improve the future stock of the albopilosum and to learn of not repeating the mistakes that was once done.

ireleana

Arachnopeon

I did post a photo in a previous reply. But here it is again. I can get a better pic if I can catch her out of her hide. The second picture is a close up of the hairs when she was in her temp enclosure. 20160110_132551.jpg 20160107_224824.jpg