wild aphonopelma spc?

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
So the monsoons are here in southern AZ! for the past few nights we have had this one wonderful MM tarantula hunt around our front door and front lawn. well today he was out during the day over by our man made pond getting himself a drink. i am a little worried about him being out during the day because there are a lot of tarantula haws around here. I waited 4 hours for him to find his own way back to his hide but he didn't move and more wasps were coming around so i caught him and will let him go later tonight.

I held him a few nights ago! I couldn't resist he is just too cool. my question is what kind of aphonopelma is he? he is beautiful!

DSCN8536.jpg
DSCN8539.jpg
DSCN8544.jpg

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aphonopelma sp.godknowswhatthatthingis.
The Aphono' sin this state are a mess,and the area you are in is chock full of un-id'd stuff.But it looks like some MM from the "chalcodes" complex.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
i was guessing chalcodes aswell but he doesnt have the light area on his legs like my chalcodes

Bugmom

Arachnolord
The coloring on Aphonopelma are so similar among species found in Arizona and New Mexico that's it's hard to tell them apart IME. Mine has the same color of reddish-gold hairs on it's butt, but also has the same color hairs on it's legs too, whereas yours has more dark brown legs. Mine also seems to be waaay hairier than yours. Mine was caught in my yard in Roswell, NM, and I question if she isn't the "Roswell Gold" species I've read about but never seen an actual picture of:
View attachment 105364
View attachment 105366
Good luck figuring it out!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
He looks so much like a new river. Which i have a big female going to molt very soon. Too bad we didnt know for sure, and he wasnt in the wild.

Zeph

Arachnosquire
What a beautiful spider! I want to go tarantula searching in Arizona now. I've seen Texas browns in the wild here, but they aren't nearly as beautiful as your specimen imo! If I could make it to Southwest Texas I could search for the breathtaking Rio Grande Gold, Aphonopelma moderatum. But honestly, Texas is so large that the desert feels like one or two states away and so few people live out there...

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
I recently saw another wild MM at my neighbors house who looked exactly like him. he is still around if anyone wants him haha but i have no clue what he is. I found another chalcodes yesterday as well! this one was only 3" and im thinking female. looked very dehidrated so i picked it up and gave it food and water haha

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I wish I could find wild chalcodes! They're my favorite. So jealous. :D

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He looks so much like a new river. Which i have a big female going to molt very soon. Too bad we didnt know for sure, and he wasnt in the wild.
Bout a 275 mile difference,and for all we know a whole 'nother sp.Gotta love the mess that is Aphonopelma

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My sons and his friend recently brought me a MM that looks very similar to this one. Of course I am going to release him, just trying to get an ID and give him a couple good meals.
Hey Bugmom, I am in Carlsbad.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ah i see. Too bad there are so many overlapping eachother in that area. I wouldnt doubt it if most or all of them are hybrids. And the ones in the hobby, could be hybrids desended from a true species breeding with the wrond one. That is if the eggs were fertile.
Bout a 275 mile difference,and for all we know a whole 'nother sp.Gotta love the mess that is Aphonopelma

Bugmom

Arachnolord
My sons and his friend recently brought me a MM that looks very similar to this one. Of course I am going to release him, just trying to get an ID and give him a couple good meals.
Hey Bugmom, I am in Carlsbad.
Yaaaay another local!