Widow hungry, is it safe to feed?

LilyB

Arachnopeon
This is my first widow, and she looks a little small in the abdomen from what I can tell. The problem is I just moved her into her new permanent home and I'm not sure if I can put in a feeder bug because she hasn't had time to build her web. She keeps trying to climb the glass to get out to her old web (I'm assuming). So I'm not entirely sure what to do here and can't find any answers. Any advice?

Attachments

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
She will be fine without food for awhile. They are web hunters so most likely putting prey in right now won't do any good. Give her time in a dark area for her to get comfortable and build a web before attempting to feed her.

LilyB

Arachnopeon
She will be fine without food for awhile. They are web hunters so most likely putting prey in right now won't do any good. Give her time in a dark area for her to get comfortable and build a web before attempting to feed her.
Okayyy, thank you! I get a little nervous with her lol

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
Okayyy, thank you! I get a little nervous with her lol
Np! I'm the same way with my spiders and always want to make sure they are well fed but to be honest most can go without food a long time and be fine.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Do not feed web builders when they do not have a web yet. Wait 3-5 days, and then try. She will be fine until then.

Last edited:

LilyB

Arachnopeon
Do not feed web builders when they do not have yet. Wait 3-5 days, and then try. She will be fine until then.
If that's how long it takes her, I guess that's how long it takes her. This is good advice, thank you.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
They have done test to see how long a widow can do without food. I cant find the link, but i belive it was over 400 days that a female widow has lived without food.. Those few days is no problem at all..