Why is the T Stirmi so expensive?

Luka98

Arachnosquire
This may be a nooby question but i'm curious.
I didn't read into it too much but i've seen a couple of mating videos and at a glance they seem to mate without much holdups unlike the GBB per-say. They don't die as easily as the T. blondi either so what's the holdup? Why are they $100 for a 2cm sling? Is it high demand, small egg-sacks or what?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
While females are more gentle on the males than most T.'s during breeding. The problem is that getting a viable eggsack is hard. Most of the times the sack is usually a bad one or it doesn't drop one at all. So in the end of the day, not much slings makes it out to 2nd instar. Even experienced breeders can have problems getting a successful viable sac.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
While females are more gentle on the males than most T.'s during breeding. The problem is that getting a viable eggsack is hard. Most of the times the sack is usually a bad one or it doesn't drop one at all. So in the end of the day, not much slings makes it out to 2nd instar. Even experienced breeders can have problems getting a successful viable sac.
That is actually really interesting, thank you for the information. Hope the breeders work their way around this some day, they are such a majestic species :D

Luka98

Arachnosquire
They're not even that expensive. I paid £40 (around $50) for a 3-4cm sling
Nice deal, i can't even find them in europe right now, i found some other species (can't really remember their names, not blondi's tho) that are stupid expensive, then i went on to the US traders to just get a scope of the price and they were not that cheap. I'm in no hurry about it but i really want one.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nice deal, i can't even find them in europe right now, i found some other species (can't really remember their names, not blondi's tho) that are stupid expensive, then i went on to the US traders to just get a scope of the price and they were not that cheap. I'm in no hurry about it but i really want one.
That's like the standard price of them here.

US prices are obscene, they usually pay at least double what we do

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Never check US sellers for prices, US prices are several times higher than European. German sellers offer them for 30 - 35 €, Czech and Slovak for 40.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's not the easiest to breed to my knowledge.

And it's big. People always pay more if the spider is big.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Supply and demand coupled with the popularity of the T and how difficult it is to breed plays into factor.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
That's like the standard price of them here.
Never check US sellers for prices, US prices are several times higher than European. German sellers offer them for 30 - 35 €, Czech and Slovak for 40.
Can you guys point me to some good European traders? I know spidersworld.eu (ordered from Jaroslav - love the service), spidershop.co.uk (i'm not even sure these guys ship to Serbia and their site is down right now) and some locals but not many more. I don't like how the locals do business, i've been sent males on all my juvies (i haven't been made aware of that) and my spiders have arrived in deli cups full of substrate and no paper towels (i presume they never bothered to pack them for shipping and just sent them in their enclosures) - long story short not ordering from them anymore so i'm always looking to expand my horizons in terms of sellers :D

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
With shipping I paid around $100 for a sling and adult female. I don’t think that’s too bad. I have loads of spiders and the adult T stirmi gets all the attention when someone is looking at my collection.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Pretty sure Theraphosa species also lay much smaller sacks than similar sized species. Although I couldn't find much in the breeding reports and I don't remember the thread where I first read about it, I seem to recall them not having much more than 100 eggs in a large sac. For comparison, LPS can (and frequently do) have 1000+ eggs per sack. So part of the difference in price is their availability per sack

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Pretty sure Theraphosa species also lay much smaller sacks than similar sized species. Although I couldn't find much in the breeding reports and I don't remember the thread where I first read about it, I seem to recall them not having much more than 100 eggs in a large sac. For comparison, LPS can (and frequently do) have 1000+ eggs per sack. So part of the difference in price is their availability per sack
yep i got my LP for literally 3eur

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
While T's are in general (and 'historically' always were) pretty cheap in Europe than in the U.S, Theraphosa spp. always had (at least here where I live, Italy) pretty crazy prices. Prices more higher than the U.S ones (for said genus, of course).

Recently things are better, anyway :)

People always pay more if the spider is big.
Yep: here we had a Theraphosa spp. 'mafia prices', for years, due to that reason.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you guys point me to some good European traders? I know spidersworld.eu (ordered from Jaroslav - love the service), spidershop.co.uk (i'm not even sure these guys ship to Serbia and their site is down right now) and some locals but not many more. I don't like how the locals do business, i've been sent males on all my juvies (i haven't been made aware of that) and my spiders have arrived in deli cups full of substrate and no paper towels (i presume they never bothered to pack them for shipping and just sent them in their enclosures) - long story short not ordering from them anymore so i'm always looking to expand my horizons in terms of sellers :D
Also from Poland:
spidershop.pl
spidersonline.pl
Hungary:
macilacispiders.hu
Darts spiders (on facebook), he's from Szeged very close to the Serbian border
Germany:
spiderstore.de

I wouldn't risk ordering Ts through the post with the current temperatures, it's better to wait until spring

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Also from Poland:
spidershop.pl
spidersonline.pl
Hungary:
macilacispiders.hu
Darts spiders (on facebook), he's from Szeged very close to the Serbian border
Germany:
spiderstore.de

I wouldn't risk ordering Ts through the post with the current temperatures, it's better to wait until spring
Thank you so much for this, i really appreciate it, especially the Szeged seller that's awesome.
Yeah i kinda risked it with the GBB order on spidersworld right now but i'm wishing for the best. We have some pretty warm days here right now so i just hope the same happens on shipping day since my spood has 3 countries to cross to get to me :(. I'm wishing for the best but i'm ready for the worst too, if anything bad happens i'm prepared to take it as a lesson and be patient until the spring

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Thank you so much for this, i really appreciate it, especially the Szeged seller that's awesome.
Yeah i kinda risked it with the GBB order on spidersworld right now but i'm wishing for the best. We have some pretty warm days here right now so i just hope the same happens on shipping day since my spood has 3 countries to cross to get to me :(. I'm wishing for the best but i'm ready for the worst too, if anything bad happens i'm prepared to take it as a lesson and be patient until the spring
I was wondering how you could get a t safely shipped across multiple countries, before I realized my country is larger than your entire continent. Also, I cannot fathom why T. Stirmi garners such prices. They are very unattractive to me.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I was wondering how you could get a t safely shipped across multiple countries, before I realized my country is larger than your entire continent. Also, I cannot fathom why T. Stirmi garners such prices. They are very unattractive to me.
You're unattractive to me