Why is The Biology of Scorpions by Gary A Polis so expensive?

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, I don't believe that it is still in print. Much of this kind of literature is out of print. Thus, it is just like John said.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Not only the demand thing. Scientific literature is always more expensive then "normal" books because it take much more work to double check facts etc and they are sold much less than bestseller like harry potter or shades of grey. If you have a certain amoujt of money you spend to "produce" a book you have to regain the costs at least. With millions of sold books its much easier then with a couple of hundreds books.
I don't think the book would be cheaper if there is less demand.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I dont care if someone discovered a new family of arachnids, the ridiculous prices of some of these books is just plain asinine.

Punzo is a good example. While I applaud his literature on solifugae, he's a shyster, unfortunately. Overpiced books, stolen artwork... Heck, artists arent that expensive. There's a reason we starve :D

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not only the demand thing. Scientific literature is always more expensive then "normal" books because it take much more work to double check facts etc and they are sold much less than bestseller like harry potter or shades of grey. If you have a certain amoujt of money you spend to "produce" a book you have to regain the costs at least. With millions of sold books its much easier then with a couple of hundreds books.
I don't think the book would be cheaper if there is less demand.
And one has to think about the number of people who would actually be interested in reading scientific literature...on scorpions.

@Smokehound, I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. Punzo? Does he do work with solifugae? I just didn't understand the 'stolen artwork'...

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
And one has to think about the number of people who would actually be interested in reading scientific literature...on scorpions.

@Smokehound, I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. Punzo? Does he do work with solifugae? I just didn't understand the 'stolen artwork'...
I guess I was a little harsh there, but yeah, to clarify, one of his books was filled with blatant copypastas of drawings. I cannot remember which book it was, but you should be able to find out which one if you do a search on punzo here in the forum. I just get miffed when I run into paywalls and horrendously overpriced books. Sure, not too many people read these books, but the overpricing is a predatory tactic on people who DO wish to study scorpions or other arachnids. I dont buy the "limited funding" argument that many people make in support of paywalls, etc.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...Ecology-Natural-History-and-Behavior-(Punzo)&

These guys just want money, and they count on someone that actually NEEDS the literature and that's why they're so overpriced. I could understand a well-made beautiful book filled with awesome illustrations costing around 30 bucks, which is fair, IMO. I dunno, maybe the guy owes the yakuza some scratch, or something. lool

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I managed to get a copy for 90 euros 10 years ago, and it was a limited edition reprint!

you just need to shop around and keep your eyes open! I think someone on these forums told me about these reprints too!

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I managed to get a copy for 90 euros 10 years ago, and it was a limited edition reprint!

you just need to shop around and keep your eyes open! I think someone on these forums told me about these reprints too!

I recall someone somehow managed to reprint the book and offered it in a more realistic price.
If you search the forum i'm sure you'll find the thread.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
I guess I was a little harsh there, but yeah, to clarify, one of his books was filled with blatant copypastas of drawings. I cannot remember which book it was, but you should be able to find out which one if you do a search on punzo here in the forum. I just get miffed when I run into paywalls and horrendously overpriced books. Sure, not too many people read these books, but the overpricing is a predatory tactic on people who DO wish to study scorpions or other arachnids. I dont buy the "limited funding" argument that many people make in support of paywalls, etc.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...Ecology-Natural-History-and-Behavior-(Punzo)&

These guys just want money, and they count on someone that actually NEEDS the literature and that's why they're so overpriced. I could understand a well-made beautiful book filled with awesome illustrations costing around 30 bucks, which is fair, IMO. I dunno, maybe the guy owes the yakuza some scratch, or something. lool
Your absolutely wrong with your argument that they just use the fact that somebody needs the book. Actually i don't have it and I'm still alive so obviously i don't need it and no one else either NEED the book. May be someone wants it but don't needs it. But the main point is that you simply ignore the fact how much work such a scientific book and all the research makes. I would really like to see how you would write and resaerch 5 years or more for a certain book and than do a print with just for example 300 books that costs 30 $ each. Now the mathematical part 300x30= 9000 $ -about at least 30-40% for the print and the publisher 9000x0.65= 5850$ 5850/60= 97.5$ each month of work. So you would you say its because of the money if you afterwards had 97.5$/per month (btw taxes weren't included in this example)
What your were saying is just senseless words from somebody who don't knows how the world runs. Even scientific books who are recommended while you study costs more than 30 $ and they get bought from thousands of students and there is still almost no author who get rich by such books. Therfore the books a simple to specialized. As more the topic is specialized the more a good book is worth the work somebody had with it.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just a hint. While resellers sometimes try to make a fortune with books there are alternatives available. Places like Scribd. offer this book in downloadable form for a small membership fee.
It's not unusual for resellers to offer rare and required literature for many times what the original publication was sold for. Once out of print the resellers have a strangehold on the market.

Emotionlessness

Arachnosquire
Just a hint. While resellers sometimes try to make a fortune with books there are alternatives available. Places like Scribd. offer this book in downloadable form for a small membership fee.
It's not unusual for resellers to offer rare and required literature for many times what the original publication was sold for. Once out of print the resellers have a strangehold on the market.
Was just going to say can it be downloaded from anywhere, without the fee?

It is a large book though...

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Your absolutely wrong with your argument that they just use the fact that somebody needs the book. Actually i don't have it and I'm still alive so obviously i don't need it and no one else either NEED the book. May be someone wants it but don't needs it. But the main point is that you simply ignore the fact how much work such a scientific book and all the research makes. I would really like to see how you would write and resaerch 5 years or more for a certain book and than do a print with just for example 300 books that costs 30 $ each. Now the mathematical part 300x30= 9000 $ -about at least 30-40% for the print and the publisher 9000x0.65= 5850$ 5850/60= 97.5$ each month of work. So you would you say its because of the money if you afterwards had 97.5$/per month (btw taxes weren't included in this example)
What your were saying is just senseless words from somebody who don't knows how the world runs. Even scientific books who are recommended while you study costs more than 30 $ and they get bought from thousands of students and there is still almost no author who get rich by such books. Therfore the books a simple to specialized. As more the topic is specialized the more a good book is worth the work somebody had with it.
You didn't even address the plagiarism and ripped artwork. You simply want to attack me.

You could have simply said I'm very cynical, and I would've agreed with you.

If I researched for five years, I would be happy enough with the thought that I learned so much, and I would release the information for free, for everyone to read. I know very well how the world works, and I understand how funding is dismal, however, plagiarism is pretty serious. The fact that he would steal someone ELSE'S work, and sell it escaped you? How is that?

I'll say it again:

MONEY.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Yeah because there's one black sheep every scientists who writes books sells "plagiats" for overpriced money? I didn't even adress the punzo book because in this thread that book isn't topic.
And i really don't believe you that you would do 5 years a fulltime job for free. If I'm wrong please come to Germany i have enough work the next five years fir you ;-)

Emotionlessness

Arachnosquire
May as well post this hear, rather than make a new topic.

Are there any other good books available about scorpions that aren't so...expensive? I don't want to say overpriced lol.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
May as well post this hear, rather than make a new topic.

Are there any other good books available about scorpions that aren't so...expensive? I don't want to say overpriced lol.
Well, many of the good scientific books are more expensive. I'm no expert on these, but the ones I would recommend would be:

Scorpions of the World by Stockmann and Ythier
Illustrated Catalog of Scorpions by František Kovarík
Scorpions of Brazil by Wilson Lourenco
Scorpions of Southern Africa by Jonathan Leeming
Scorpions of Costa Rica by Carlos Viquez
Scorpions of Medical Importance by Keegan (this one is slightly older--outdated--but still has good information)

And Kovarik recently published Part II of the Illustrated Catalog of Scorpions. Also, it is worth checking out the scorpion journals Euscorpius and the Journal of Arachnology, as well as the journal Toxicon. A good book for general hobbyists is Manny Rubio's book, Scorpions. You could ask around some more if you are really serious about your question, and/or check some other websites such as The Scorpion Files or Panarthropoda.de; I hope this helps!