1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is my tarantula standing on it's head?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ParahybanaLasiodora, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    I don't know why he's doing that... been like this for at least an hour. Is there something wrong or is he just being a silly goose? Species: Lasiodora Parahybana (4" ish)
    tranch.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoknight Active Member

Encolsure looks a bit to large in regards to height, she might be stressed out as this posture is generally associated with stress.

Either that or she’s just trying to become an arboreal but still can’t get over her frar of heights ;)

3. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    It’s waiting for you to put your face too close, so she can use her poop gun on you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

More like "waiting for you to stick your face too close so it can hair your eyeballs to death" :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

That's not a stress posture. Its not standing on its head, its just standing vertically...ts do that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    04FB581D-F567-40AE-8771-BF0F843A1010.jpeg

Trying so hard to imitate Pokies.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Derivative

Derivative Arachnopeon

Also that is the tarantulas prosoma not its head tarantulas aren't anthropomorphic as that would be weird.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnolord Active Member

looks its just chilling on the glass. Seen this a lot by arboreal avoiding my forceps while picking out bullies. I keep my terrestrials properly so I dont see such behavior.

9. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Well, the prosoma/cephalothorax is basically a fused head and thorax so it kind of is ;)

10. Serkos

Serkos Arachnopeon

Greece
    Did you move her recently? When I got my T for the first one or two days she was climbing around and then she calmed down (she is a b hamorii which is terrestrial)

11. No. This is only his second home, I moved him in maybe 2 or 3 months ago.

Update, I checked on him shortly after posting this and he was back to his normal posture. He still appears to be a little stressed though. He didn't eat when I tried to feed him so maybe he's in premolt and that's why he's behaving strangely. He's due for one too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2019
  12. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

Tarantulas do some funny things when they don't find a suitable place to hide in their enclosures. My interpretation of the behavior shown in the picture is that it feels more secure by squeezing itself between the glass and cork bark. Sometimes when you think your enclosure is setup perfectly for a tarantula, the tarantula disagrees.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnobaron Active Member

It's trying to learn how to twerk, obviously. Show it some Youtube videos.