why is my tarantula afraid of its prey?

Liam De Wilde

Arachnopeon
My coremiocnemis tropix (2.5cm legspan at the moment) get skittish and runs away from its food whenever a cricket touches it. Any crickets that I try to feed it are a third of its body size. It seems completely healthy, burrowing, webbing everywhere.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Have it been going on for long? It might be in premoult. If it continues you might try pre-killed prey.

Jayk

Arachnopeon
It doesn't want to eat. leave it alone for 4-5 days and try again, it will eventually eat or molt. either one.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Try pre-killed, slings will scavenge feed, remove any uneaten prey after 24hrs. If it's not even touching pre-killed then could be in pre-moult.

Jayk

Arachnopeon
Not the case. I have waited for much longer than that.
How long have you waited? Any pics of the t?

My g pulcripes sling hasn't eaten for 3 weeks now, and this morning I found the entrance to the burrow sealed off. Like suggested its probably just premolt.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Some Ts fast for months during premolt so its not surprising if your T don't eat for a few days. So far the longest fasting period I experienced is 2 months with my B. auratum.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Slings do really well with pre-killed prey. When was the last time it ate? How large is its abdomen?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Nice to find another Aussie user! My little Tropix sling is a bit of a slow eater, It resides in a bundle of spagnum moss and has made a bunch of tunnels through it. It only eats roughly once every week and a half, and has yet to molt after i got it from Minibeast several months ago. What's cool is that it appears to be purple coloured, or have a strong people shine to it at least. I wouldnt be worried just yet if it bumbling around and webbing alot, if it starts to become critically thin then maybe just try feeding it pinhead crickets; Livefoods Unlimited is a good source for those

Liam De Wilde

Arachnopeon
Nice to find another Aussie user! My little Tropix sling is a bit of a slow eater, It resides in a bundle of spagnum moss and has made a bunch of tunnels through it. It only eats roughly once every week and a half, and has yet to molt after i got it from Minibeast several months ago. What's cool is that it appears to be purple coloured, or have a strong people shine to it at least. I wouldnt be worried just yet if it bumbling around and webbing alot, if it starts to become critically thin then maybe just try feeding it pinhead crickets; Livefoods Unlimited is a good source for those
That's amazing! I see the the purple for sure! Especially on the abdomen. I got mine from minibeast as well. My profile picture is of my C. tropix. You can see the colour difference from your picture vs my profile picture, pretty jealous! xD

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
That's amazing! I see the the purple for sure! Especially on the abdomen. I got mine from minibeast as well. My profile picture is of my C. tropix. You can see the colour difference from your picture vs my profile picture, pretty jealous! xD
Yea lol, I'm hoping it won't lose the shine as it gets older but from what I've seen, Coremiocnemis usually have richer colouration than Phlogius or Selenotypus so fingers crossed the purple tint is one of them. Has yours begun eating yet?

Liam De Wilde

Arachnopeon
Yea lol, I'm hoping it won't lose the shine as it gets older but from what I've seen, Coremiocnemis usually have richer colouration than Phlogius or Selenotypus so fingers crossed the purple tint is one of them. Has yours begun eating yet?
Yeah he/she has eaten about 8 times since I have had it. Only one time it ate a live cricket, the other times were all pre-killed. Now I know that it's normal that its usually afraid of live food.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Glad to hear! Can assure you they seem to be pretty slow growers though. Guess I'll enjoy it's cute size for a while longer