Why is my OBT as reclusive as that ?

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
Hello there !

I just wanted to have some of your opinions about your OBT's behaviours. I know this specie is confrontated to so many dangers in the wild, but mine is like, really really reclusive.

She never came out of her hide in 250 days, but still, she's showing feeding responses when she feels vibrations across the webings blocking the entrance of her burrow.

She ate quite a few time since then, she molted once (dunno when tho), but never never she decided to visit the outside world (since she decided to settle in the hole you can see on the third pic)

She might be 6/7cm (2,5") LS, it's 23°C at night and 25°C during day (depending of the sun entering in the room).

And here's the enclosure
dzdz.jpg dzdzd.jpg zdz.jpg

I'm not worried or anything about her, just wondering if this is a normal behaviour for a juvie OBT :)

Thanks ! :)

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Individual Ts are prone to individual behaviors. Most of my P. murinus will hang out with their legs out of the burrow when they're hungry, but otherwise are very skittish and hide when the light is suddenly too bright or the enclosure is disturbed. So it sounds like normal behavior to me - your specimen is just particularly shy. These behaviors can change from molt to molt, so don't be too surprised if that changes in the future. Ts generally become less skittish with size, too.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Actually, what you describe is a testament to proper husbandry for this species. All of the hype about the OBT being a demonic man slayer is the result of improper keeping, e.g., insufficient substrate, hide, etc.. If you keep them properly, as you do from what it appears in your pictures and description of her behavior, your situation is just as it generally should be.

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
Alright, thanks, it is true that we're more used to see their bad mood, I wouldn't mind if mine was a peaceful one :angelic:

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
I'd concur with what's being said already. I only ever see my OBT at night with a red light on and even then it rarely ventures further than the mouth of it's web castle.