Why I can’t keep Tarantulas or scorpions

Liquifin

Arachnoking
If your dad said that you can't have a tarantula then get a true spider like Linothele megatheloides or a Diplura sp. rurrenabaque. Those are great spiders that are the best substitute for a tarantula. ;) I plan on getting a Linothele megatholoides someday, because if the pretty webbing and colors.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@mantisfan101 Sounds like your dad is a jerk. Glad hes not related to me.

If that rule holds true for the future you will have to get your own place and then collect tarantulas again.

By the way you should not leave the lid off to "dry" the substrate at any time. If the substrate is that wet, remove the spider into a catch cup and then deal with trying to dry out the substrate.

Also, scorpions cannot climb glass.

Sykomp

Arachnopeon
Like others have said - wait until you get your own place, haha! When I was a kid my parents didn't let me keep a lot of animals I would have wanted, like rabbits, snails, snakes... you name it. Nowadays I keep just about everything I can, for example one of the first pets I got after moving to my own place was the rabbit I had wanted since I was 5. Some interests just won't fade.

Anyway, I think it's very understandable to not let your kid just get every pet they want, as time, space, needed skills, knowledge and other resources may be a problem, and as many kids lose interest in things pretty quickly. Sure, it's good to let your young ones be around animals, but pets are always the responsibility of the adults in the house, no matter is it the kid keeping them - if the parents were not ready to take care of the tarantula, they shouldn't have let their kid get it in the first place. At least they too seem to have learned from that mistake, even if the general outcome wasn't the preferred one.
I mean... things like these just happen and it's shitty, but also just a slow down or temporal halt, not necessarily a forever end to the whole hobby.

BrokenLegBaboon

Arachnosquire
I got my first T when I was 14. It was B. hamorii and I actually convinced my mom of letting me own it because I wanted to try and cure my arachnophobia (turns out I only have fear for huntsman spiders). I had it in a glass enclosure with a screen top that was absolutely not secure. Two weeks has passed and while I was having breakfast, I nearly choked after I saw that the screen top had a huge gap and my T was nowhere to be found inside its enclosure. My mom freaked out at first but I already informed her before getting the T that they have a very weak venom and that they are almost harmless to us humans, but still who wouldn’t freak out with a tarantula out on the loose in their house? Took us two weeks before we found her behind a painting hanging on the wall (I was relying on the fact that they were a terrestrial species and never bothered looking up lol). My mom let this one slide.

2 months later I got my first scorpion, which was an adult H. longimanus. Stupid me thought that because they can’t climb glass or smooth surfaces, I didn’t bother puting a lid on top of its enclosure. The morning after I got it and voila! We have a scorpion on the loose, and this time I couldn’t even describe my mom’s face. I mean anyone who isn’t in the hobby would assume that every scorpion is dangerous. Found it on the same day in our kitchen and got a lid for its enclosure. Had a big fight with mom on that day and she almost banned me from keeping any pets, but I was relentless and I wouldn’t give up my hobby so I just kept on talking to her until she gave up arguing with me. 5 yrs later and my mom is supporting my hobby without a doubt and she even stays up late with me when I’m feeding (my collection is now at the point where I need a good cup of coffee to finish feeding and maintenance).

Doors are only closed temporarily, maybe you should try talking to your parents more, not like what I did but find the perfect time for it. Our parents mostly just want the best for us, so when we convince them that the things we want are actually what’s best for us, then they’ll just go with it too. Good luck and happy keeping :embarrassed:

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
No offence to the OP, but you sorta proved your parents' point. You let happen the one thing they were most concerned about! My dad would have killed the T and then would have woke me up for a beating (I'm old and that was a thing back in the day). The problem is (and your parents know this), teenagers loose their minds! One minute they seem reasonable and mature and the next they are forgetting taking the lid off the T enclosure and jetting out to dinner. It's not their (your) fault necessarily...it's just how they are (like a biological robot, LOL!). Naturally some are better, some worse in this regard, but all teenagers have the potential to turn dumb at a moment's notice. It sounds like you have your head screwed on right, but you're still plagued by the irrationality that comes with being a teen.

Hang in there...soon you will be on your own...dealing with the fears of a spouse/significant other instead of your P's. ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No offence to the OP, but you sorta proved your parents' point. You let happen the one thing they were most concerned about! My dad would have killed the T and then would have woke me up for a beating (I'm old and that was a thing back in the day). The problem is (and your parents know this), teenagers loose their minds! One minute they seem reasonable and mature and the next they are forgetting taking the lid off the T enclosure and jetting out to dinner. It's not their (your) fault necessarily...it's just how they are (like a biological robot, LOL!). Naturally some are better, some worse in this regard, but all teenagers have the potential to turn dumb at a moment's notice. It sounds like you have your head screwed on right, but you're still plagued by the irrationality that comes with being a teen.

Hang in there...soon you will be on your own...dealing with the fears of a spouse/significant other instead of your P's. ;)
A comment that deserve more than one 'Like', 'Agree' etc rating, my man :)

DustyHYT

Arachnopeon
I used to be horrified of tarantulas and scorpions. I would avoid them at all costs. I ended up getting one in college because I was getting bored of fish. I was very surprised with how amazing they are as pets. They have personality, they have attitudes, and they look amazing. Now I have six and expanding all the time!