Why I can’t keep Tarantulas or scorpions

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
On my 13th birthday, I got my first and only T- an A. Seemani at petco. It was a juvenile, about 2 inch legspan, and I named him Schroeder. He molted a few weeks later and one week, during the end of July, I decided to leave the lid on his enclosure open because the substrate was really damp and wet for some wierd reason. We went out to dinner that night and halfway during the meal I realized- I left the lid open. I had to endure and hour of keeping a straight face after that and as soon as I got home, I checked his enclosure and sure enough he was missing. My parents found out soon enough and searched the whole house to no avail. They were absolutely furious at me and that was literally the only policy that they had about keeping the tarantula(that and that it couldn’t kill anyone). Surprise surprise, my dad decided to go use the bathroom and 11 pm at night and guess who he found staring at him on the floor? The result was a dead tarantula and a strict “no more tarantuls or scorpioms ever again.” Vinegaroons and whipspiders are okay since neither can climb glass and neither can kill you. All other insects are okay as long as they were legally obtained so yeah. Now I’m focusing on collecting native species of mantids(Texas and arizona unicorns), Amblypygids, vinnies, ant colonies, madascar hissing cockroaches, millipedes, native giant silk moths, native beetles(lucanus anyone?), and various other inverts. I have kept some larger wolf spiders from time to time but my mom quickly put an end to that so I collect them as feeders for my ant colonies. As disappointed as I am, it was only right of them to do so. I respect them and come to think of it, owninf a tarantula at 13 years of age does seem rather far fetched. What other stories do you guys have?

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
A tarantula bite won’t kill you there’s some that may put you in the hospital but that a.seemanni has mild venom and definitely wouldn’t kill anyone

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Idk I had a g rosea when I was 9 or 10 or so. But it never escaped. Eventually sold it though

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
I started collecting tarantulas when I was 12, since then I’ve only had 2 escaped and both ended in a healthy T back in the enclosure and no more escapes. I don’t know why your parents felt the need to kill the spider ( I’m assuming your dad purposely stepped on it ) but I hope you do end up eventually collecting tarantulas again, they are such an amazing creature to care for and have, good luck with the rest of your inverts

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don’t know why your parents felt the need to kill the spider ( I’m assuming your dad purposely stepped on it )
Because other - non keepers - persons doesn't view the whole thing like us. They doesn't take a 'catch cup' and whatever. And it's normal.

I personally know an helluva of people (Italians, womens in particular) that, after viewing 'Charlotte's Web' (the movie) and being touched for the spider, the moment after stomped, while screaming, the first house spider spotted :writer:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
On my 13th birthday, I got my first and only T- an A. Seemani at petco. It was a juvenile, about 2 inch legspan, and I named him Schroeder. He molted a few weeks later and one week, during the end of July, I decided to leave the lid on his enclosure open because the substrate was really damp and wet for some wierd reason. We went out to dinner that night and halfway during the meal I realized- I left the lid open. I had to endure and hour of keeping a straight face after that and as soon as I got home, I checked his enclosure and sure enough he was missing. My parents found out soon enough and searched the whole house to no avail. They were absolutely furious at me and that was literally the only policy that they had about keeping the tarantula(that and that it couldn’t kill anyone). Surprise surprise, my dad decided to go use the bathroom and 11 pm at night and guess who he found staring at him on the floor? The result was a dead tarantula and a strict “no more tarantuls or scorpioms ever again.” Vinegaroons and whipspiders are okay since neither can climb glass and neither can kill you. All other insects are okay as long as they were legally obtained so yeah. Now I’m focusing on collecting native species of mantids(Texas and arizona unicorns), Amblypygids, vinnies, ant colonies, madascar hissing cockroaches, millipedes, native giant silk moths, native beetles(lucanus anyone?), and various other inverts. I have kept some larger wolf spiders from time to time but my mom quickly put an end to that so I collect them as feeders for my ant colonies. As disappointed as I am, it was only right of them to do so. I respect them and come to think of it, owninf a tarantula at 13 years of age does seem rather far fetched. What other stories do you guys have?
I am sorry to hear that. Especially the scorpion part as they don t climb smooth surfaces and most of them are harmless.
I used to be threatened by such kind of bans, but luckily they has never been implemented (maybe fact, that I managed to keep most escapes secret, played a role :D ). At 13 You are not too young to keep a T, and age is not the main factor, there are keepers of Your age that are more responsible and educated than some are in their 30s - 40s. But don t be afraid, I guess You will keep a T in a few years, despite opinions of Your parents. ;) (pro tip: once You have many boxes and cups with animals, familly stops chcecking content of each of them, so in well positioned box/cup You can have almost anything).

NYAN

Arachnoking
The result was a dead tarantula and a strict “no more tarantuls or scorpioms ever again.”

Wow. There’s a certain word that I would use to describe your dad for his response.

Scorpions can’t climb smooth surfaces by the way. Hopefully they will allow you to keep them again.

You could always say the ‘at least it’s not drugs’ line to justify them letting you get more.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Wow. There’s a certain word that I would use to describe your dad for his response.

Scorpions can’t climb smooth surfaces by the way. Hopefully they will allow you to keep them again.

You could always say the ‘at least it’s not drugs’ line to justify them letting you get more.
Yeah jeez thanks dad lol

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I am sorry to hear that. Especially the scorpion part as they don t climb smooth surfaces and most of them are harmless.
I used to be threatened by such kind of bans, but luckily they has never been implemented (maybe fact, that I managed to keep most escapes secret, played a role :D ). At 13 You are not too young to keep a T, and age is not the main factor, there are keepers of Your age that are more responsible and educated than some are in their 30s - 40s. But don t be afraid, I guess You will keep a T in a few years, despite opinions of Your parents. ;) (pro tip: once You have many boxes and cups with animals, familly stops chcecking content of each of them, so in well positioned box/cup You can have almost anything).
Yeah, I did that the first time but the tarantula was still in my room so I didn’t tell them and now this time I had no idea where it had gone and the cage was unknowingly left open for hours. There was no telling where he went(turned out he was a mature male). Also, although I was upset that my dad killed him(I agree that it seems a bit too excessive) that was really the only rule that I was told to keep, to prevent him from escaping. I still can’t let any of my current pets escape which also explains why my current main hobby is fishkeeping.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I did that the first time but the tarantula was still in my room so I didn’t tell them and now this time I had no idea where it had gone and the cage was unknowingly left open for hours. There was no telling where he went(turned out he was a mature male). Also, although I was upset that my dad killed him(I agree that it seems a bit too excessive) that was really the only rule that I was told to keep, to prevent him from escaping. I still can’t let any of my current pets escape which also explains why my current main hobby is fishkeeping.
Fish are good too. That was my first love

Peggycat

Arachnopeon
I bought my daughter her first T when she was three. Santa brought it ten years ago. Now, at 13, she takes care of that g porteri herself, but it was my responsibility for many years. As her mom, I feel any pet I allow into our home is my responsibility, too. She's more knowledgeable and responsible than most adults, but if she made a mistake with one of her pets, I or her dad would help her.

She now has five Ts, plus a good assortment of reptiles, frogs, hermit crabs and aquatics.

Perhaps your parents need to educate themselves more about your animals. I really think it was far more irresponsible of an ADULT to allow a pet into their home without learning about the animal first and accepting that they owe it to that animal to value its wellbeing.

I hope you can continue your interest and advance in the hobby when you are older and able to control the circumstances.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was 12 years old when my first T joined the dozens of pets I had... reptiles, amphibians, rodents, etc.

One time, I accidentally left the lid open to my adult female P. chordatus after feeding her. Sure enough, my mum got quite the surprise at 2 am when she wwnt to use the bathroom - a very large black spider threat posing in front of the toilet. She didn't kill her, but rather screamed bloody murder and used some very choice words while telling me to come get her.

I'm sorry your father had such a negative reaction and that your parents enacted such a penalty for a mistake that happens to the majority of keepers at one time or another.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And why? His father did the right thing, and that 'right' thing for him was stomping upon a venomous animal on the loose.

We shouldn't judge - non keepers persons - for that kind of acts/reactions. We shouldn't let our emotions, nor our experience/ability as keepers, enter into this.

I wouldn't judge a (non inverts/arachnids keeper) man that, in Vietnam or in Thailand, crush with his boots a S.subspinipes that one day he may found in his bathroom. Why? Because I know how powerful that venom is, and because I (as a keeper) knows that non inverts related persons, doesn't bother nor know how to "catch cup and release" whatever crawls around them.

The dead Theraphosidae happened only because the OP was not careful/focused enough during maintenance/keeping. But he learned a lesson: to check always the lid/openings.

I don't want to bash a 13 years old guy (I had 13 years as well, 27 years ago, and I've did my crap as well) just stating facts.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
And why? His father did the right thing, and that 'right' thing for him was stomping upon a venomous animal on the loose.

We shouldn't judge - non keepers persons - for that kind of acts/reactions. We shouldn't let our emotions, nor our experience/ability as keepers, enter into this.

I wouldn't judge a (non inverts/arachnids keeper) man that, in Vietnam or in Thailand, crush with his boots a S.subspinipes that one day he may found in his bathroom. Why? Because I know how powerful that venom is, and because I (as a keeper) knows that non inverts related persons, doesn't bother nor know how to "catch cup and release" whatever crawls around them.

The dead Theraphosidae happened only because the OP was not careful/focused enough during maintenance/keeping. But he learned a lesson: to check always the lid/openings.

I don't want to bash a 13 years old guy (I had 13 years as well, 27 years ago, and I've did my crap as well) just stating facts.
Thank you, took the words out of my mouth and I completely agree with you. I was rather upset when I found out but it was really my fault for letting the tarantula loose and I learned my lesson. I don’t blame my dad for killing it because nobody wants to wake up in the middle of the night and see a big spider greeting them in the bathroom.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thank you, took the words out of my mouth and I completely agree with you. I was rather upset when I found out but it was really my fault for letting the tarantula loose and I learned my lesson. I don’t blame my dad for killing it because nobody wants to wake up in the middle of the night and see a big spider greeting them in the bathroom.
Bravo! :)

And don't beat yourself too much for that. Sucks, I know, but family is the most important thing in life, as well with health. You have your entire freaking life in front of you, and seems that T's doesn't plan to disappear. Lions and tigers, maybe. But not T's :bored:

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Just as a side note you could always just get a fossorial tarantula as your parents will probably never see it and never find out you have it. Even if you leave the lid open it’s highly unlikely it’s ever gonna leave its burrow to try escape. Otherwise if you’re bummed out about not being able to get a tarantula you can also always just convince them to let you get any of the non-theraphosid mygalomorphs as most can’t climb glass or plastic and any available in the US hobby aren’t dangerous, any Nemesiidae or Liphistius sp work

Vinegaroons and whipspiders are okay since neither can climb glass and neither can kill you.
Whip spiders can climb glass very well and very quickly. Scorpions can’t.

What other stories do you guys have?
My dad left the sliding door open on my fireback huntsman enclosure and it escaped. Luckily huntsmans have a bad habit of sitting out in the open a head height on walls that never fails to give me a shock. Found it two nights later on the roof lugging along some dust tangled around its legs and what was left of the web of an unfortunate house spider.

Also left the lid on an Amblypygid enclosure about .5 millimetres ajar and it disappeared the first night, never found it

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I have had lost at least 3-4 Ts due to leaving their enclosures open. It happens, get your own place one day so you can have all the Ts you want.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I disagree. The only way I could consider it even close to right if it was accidental. Keep in mind that it was likely that he knew that it was his son’s escaped pet. That’s like shooting a cat that escaped because they can potentially scratch someone. It would’ve been very easy to alert the person so that they could capture it. I think this was just an attempt to punish.

Yes, we can and should judge in this case because it was just a spiteful thing to do. Unless he accidentally killed it or did it out of a fearful reaction, it is wrong.

This is somewhat false cause here. I don’t disagree with the scenario you state here being more acceptable. The difference is that it is not a centipede with potentially medically significant venom and is obviously the kids pet.

Major 78

Arachnosquire
I disagree. The only way I could consider it even close to right if it was accidental. Keep in mind that it was likely that he knew that it was his son’s escaped pet. That’s like shooting a cat that escaped because they can potentially scratch someone. It would’ve been very easy to alert the person so that they could capture it. I think this was just an attempt to punish.

Yes, we can and should judge in this case because it was just a spiteful thing to do. Unless he accidentally killed it or did it out of a fearful reaction, it is wrong.

This is somewhat false cause here. I don’t disagree with the scenario you state here being more acceptable. The difference is that it is not a centipede with potentially medically significant venom and is obviously the kids pet.

I completely agree with you @NYAN . Especially with the cat analogy, let me elaborate. See, a cat CAN bit off your finger. But does it?... No. A T can bite you, but not kill you. Especially a non-'medically significant T. That won't do any worse than a wasp sting. And are you smashing EVERY wasp you see just because it can hurt you? Humans can hurt you worse than your T can. More deaths are caused by US than by tarantulas every day. So do we kill every human we see? NO! So this Dad's logic, I don't get it. He knew it was his sons pet, not some wild Unidentified T that could have potentially medically significant venom. Even if it was like idk, an OBT, it would be much easier just to tell your son about the escape, give him a lecture and some more escape precautions. Much easier than going through the trouble of killing it and having your son angry at you.