Why don't my Ts use their hides or dig?

Nandi

Arachnopeon
I have many terrestial Ts from genus Brachypelma, Pamphobeteus, Grammostola, Phormictopus, Xenesthis, Chromatopelma, Lasiodora, Acanthoscurria, etc etc... Literally none of them uses its hide at all and they never even try to dig. I read everywhere that 4-5" substrate is necessary for them. I used to add that much but none of them digged at all so nowadays I add only like 1" of substrate and I never see any of them trying to dig a hole. They don't use their offered hides either. Why is that? I see pics about hiding adult Ts like B. albopilosums, I have one, she still has a lot of substrate and flowerpot hide, she never used it. All of my Ts just standing at the middle of the enclosure. When I get a new T or rehouse one, I always use a half flowerpot to create a hide. They usually destroy it or simply just don't give a damn. I have no idea why my Ts never hide or dig...

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can you post some photos of a few enclosures?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
because they are ungrateful. also they might be acclimating sometimes it can take a while, except for my H. pulchripes it loves to move sub and settle down, like a one man construction crew.

Nandi

Arachnopeon
Some of them are in these enclosures for more than a year, they acclimatized I think. :d They never move the substrate. Just standing and eating. It would be fun to see them do something lol.

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
What substrate are you using? Some Ts don’t like cocofiber bc it’s too loose. Maybe try replacing it with plain old top soil?

Nandi

Arachnopeon
What substrate are you using? Some Ts don’t like cocofiber bc it’s too loose. Maybe try replacing it with plain old top soil?
Cocofiber and potting soil mixed, of potting soil only. Very similar to top soil.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To be honest im curious as to why your worried about being able to see your spiders haha.

99% of my collection is invisible. I swear im just keeping jars of dirt and decorations

Nandi

Arachnopeon
To be honest im curious as to why your worried about being able to see your spiders haha.

99% of my collection is invisible. I swear im just keeping jars of dirt and decorations
I'm not worried I just don't understand why is that. lol Some of them hides as spiderling but it as they grow it changes.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Some of them are in these enclosures for more than a year, they acclimatized I think. :d They never move the substrate. Just standing and eating. It would be fun to see them do something lol.
asking Ts to do things? most of their lives are occupied with doing nothing.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Because hiding is for wusses.

Most, if not all, of the species from those genera don't use their hides or burrow as they get larger (more specifically past juvie sizes).

Have the plastic cup hides been cut in half or have you just part-buried a whole cup? Hides need to be open ended so that they become the start of a burrow. What I do is part-bury a slab of cork bark and make a space underneath that's just big enough for the spider to squeeze into, they'll then excavate as needed.

View media item 46683

Nandi

Arachnopeon
Because hiding is for wusses.

Most, if not all, of the species from those genera don't use their hides or burrow as they get larger (more specifically past juvie sizes).

Have the plastic cup hides been cut in half or have you just part-buried a whole cup? Hides need to be open ended so that they become the start of a burrow. What I do is part-bury a slab of cork bark and make a space underneath that's just big enough for the spider to squeeze into, they'll then excavate as needed.

View media item 46683
I cut in half so they can dig under it.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I think the opacity of the enclosures may have something to do with it. They may not feel a need a need to hide/dig because they don't feel exposed the majority of the time.

Also, Grym has a good point about the majority of those T's not being known to hide much once they get some size.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Because tarantulas are little nymph creatures who love to bend the rules and not adhere to the standards and expectations of their species.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I have many terrestial Ts from genus Brachypelma, Pamphobeteus, Grammostola, Phormictopus, Xenesthis, Chromatopelma, Lasiodora, Acanthoscurria, etc etc... Literally none of them uses its hide at all and they never even try to dig. I read everywhere that 4-5" substrate is necessary for them. I used to add that much but none of them digged at all so nowadays I add only like 1" of substrate and I never see any of them trying to dig a hole. They don't use their offered hides either. Why is that? I see pics about hiding adult Ts like B. albopilosums, I have one, she still has a lot of substrate and flowerpot hide, she never used it. All of my Ts just standing at the middle of the enclosure. When I get a new T or rehouse one, I always use a half flowerpot to create a hide. They usually destroy it or simply just don't give a damn. I have no idea why my Ts never hide or dig...
Could depends on a ton of things. Moisture level in substrate, lighting, temperature, decor, etc. etc.....I also have shallow substrate for my Pamphos, GBB, Acanthoscurria, and Lasiodora and they do not use their hides, but my GBB has an almost trap-door set up in its enclosure. My Grammastola like to move things around a bit.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My NW slings all loved to burrow and hide. But once they grew up, they are pretty much out on topside all the time. Or sometimes sitting on top of their hides. Brats.
I think adult burrowing is more common in the wild than in captivity. My A seemanni is my only adult NW that enjoys burrowing in captivity.

Rebecca Walilko

Arachnopeon
I have two A. Seemannis and they just LOVE to dig. I think a lot of it might have to do with how compact your soil is. I've also found that making their hide a tube or something buried into the substrate at a 45 degree angle helps encourage burrowing as well.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I have two A. Seemannis and they just LOVE to dig. I think a lot of it might have to do with how compact your soil is. I've also found that making their hide a tube or something buried into the substrate at a 45 degree angle helps encourage burrowing as well.
it looks like cocofiber and non of my Ts have problems with that. It might be a lack of sub.