why does tkg recommend obt?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Any more off topic posts, bickering or other garbage in this thread will result in suspension or permanent bans from this forum, depending on past infractions/warnings.
Consider this a warning for everyone involved in here.

Don't forget what sub forum you're on.
Keep your petty squabbles confined to PMs, and out of other people's threads.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
i mean i keep it in a cage, drop a feeder in. when cleaning cage i cup method it so there is nothing to risk.
I have one and can see why many on here say NO. Although they're "hardy", the problem may arise when ur doing maintenance or more importantly, rehousing. A lot of times, they'll threat pose, or even strike all around themselves, when u simply open the enclosure, so the utmost care needs to be practiced. They are gonna be faster than anything you have, and that, along with temperament makes them a no no. I, for 1, didn't have a ton of experience before I got one, but I read and watched a ton before I got it, especially the rehousing stuff.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Starting collecting T's this year. Glad I saw this thread...def not going to make any effort to get one of these.

Good plan. Get familiar with NW's first and see how it goes. There's no need to go further if you're content; there's so many great NW species.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Good plan. Get familiar with NW's first and see how it goes. There's no need to go further if you're content; there's so many great NW species.
I would hope that newbies understand that most of us OBT wranglers have experience that is measured in decades. And normally there were many stepping stone species that proceeded . It's unwise to start at the top.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I would hope that newbies understand that most of us OBT wranglers have experience that is measured in decades. And normally there were many stepping stone species that proceeded . It's unwise to start at the top.

+1. Unfortunately some don't, get them for the internet hype and see them as a male rite of passage. Once they hit 2", which is a matter of a few months, OBT's typically undergo a personality change, from timid sling to defensive, high speed juvenile that bites readily. No doubt an evolved response to predation in their habitat. An OBT escape or bite can ruin your day, or someone else's day. Diving in the deep end isn't a good idea in any hobby.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
+1. Unfortunately some don't, get them for the internet hype and see them as a male rite of passage. Once they hit 2", which is a matter of a few months, OBT's typically undergo a personality change, from timid sling to defensive, high speed juvenile that bites readily. No doubt an evolved response to predation in their habitat. An OBT escape or bite can ruin your day, or someone else's day. Diving in the deep end isn't a good idea in any hobby.
Not every newcomer is getting an OBT for a masculine ego boost. Others have genuine interest in keeping the safely and competently. Basically, the T is going to be a pet hole that you give feeders to. The main problems are rehousing, cage transfers, etc. OBTs readily threat pose, and any idiot who tries to handle the OBT won't try a second time.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
any idiot who tries to handle the OBT won't try a second time.
There's a weirdo, in his blog, that was bitten three times from his P.murinus. For "taking her out for some nice, clear handling pics". Three times, he posted pics of the bites. He probably loves pain :kiss:

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
True, but those things require at least a bit of T's 'know how', that not always all the people that moves their first steps into Arachnids have.
I'd like to think some people have a bit of common sense.

An exceptionally defensive T threat posing and striking should ward off any potential handlers. Although, common sense isn't so common. I just read about a lot of these sensational stories from members posting here but I've never seen such extreme stunts aside from idiots on youtube.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'd like to think some people have a bit of common sense.

An exceptionally defensive T threat posing and striking should ward off any potential handlers. Although, common sense isn't so common. I just read about a lot of these sensational stories from members posting here but I've never seen such extreme stunts aside from idiots on youtube.
I'd like to think that as well, man, but reality is always behind the corner for punch "you" in the face, like Mike Tyson when was young with those badass black pants. Indeed, here on this site people are more serious than those YT stunts, or at least they, even if handling, give good advices.

Here the one i was talking about, ah ah. A pain lover, indeed.

http://tarantulasandothers.blogspot.it/2009/09/bitten-by-orange-baboon-tarantula.html

Toddums

Arachnopeon
Guys, what am I in fore with my H gabonensis? Is it gonna molt and become a mean little bastard?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Guys, what am I in fore with my H gabonensis? Is it gonna molt and become a mean little bastard?
Nice Theraphosidae, man. Well, expect the general 'Baboon' behaviour... they are fast as light, but not even a 'bite in your face' like 'OBT' are. But depends, always, from specimen to specimen.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Nice Theraphosidae, man. Well, expect the general 'Baboon' behaviour... they are fast as light, but not even a 'bite in your face' like 'OBT' are. But depends, always, from specimen to specimen.
Mine are quick to flee and retreat to a hide instead of threat posing.

Toddums

Arachnopeon
Yea when I went to rehouse I was shocked at how fast it was. There was an old man sitting down at the reptile expo who warned me. I asked him what sp he was looking at and he showed me. He said they were "lightening" fast. I told him I had a GBB and that was pretty fast but he was right when he said the H gabonensis would run laps around the GBB. I just rehoused it inside a 10 gallon and everything worked out.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yea when I went to rehouse I was shocked at how fast it was. There was an old man sitting down at the reptile expo who warned me. I asked him what sp he was looking at and he showed me. He said they were "lightening" fast. I told him I had a GBB and that was pretty fast but he was right when he said the H gabonensis would run laps around the GBB. I just rehoused it inside a 10 gallon and everything worked out.
Eh, indeed. I personally, for my standards, don't view C.cyaneopubescens that fast... more like a crazy dash, but that's all. 'Baboons' are very fast, all of them. For instance, a giant, like females P.muticus are, are able to strike two/three times in a row within few seconds. Something that other, bulky chubby NW T's, can't.

Saw a threat display, followed by two (not even one, lol) "bites-in the air" by an old, grumpy, B.albopilosum i have one day. She was slow like an old Lamborghini tractor compared to those 'Baboons'.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Nor did I say that, hence the use of the word 'some.'
I have seen you post similarly about obt's and masculinity and "thrillseekers" in countless other threads.

Realistically, its a rare occurrence and doesn't warrant the sensationalism. Sure, they have potent venom and are fast, but as I said the main problems are rehousing, cage transfers, etc. OBTs readily threat pose, and any idiot who tries to handle the OBT won't try a second time.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I really think that the "Cars" comparison suits well the "OBT' & Beginners" issue.

Here in Italy, the legal age for driving is 18, unlike other nations. And you have to, prior to sit with the instructor in the driving school car for learning, pass the theory exam (have heard that in the US the "whole thing" is much shorter than here in Italy but don't know).

Now a very dumb Italian law states that, for the first year after the acquiring of the driving license no one (no matter his/her age in that) can drive potent cars (so not only a Ferrari and such, but a "normal" BMW, AUDI as well for a Golf). Said dumb because, after one year only, still i doubt that a young man could master how to proper drive a Lambo and something such potent, but oh well.

With that said, it's not written in stone, and there's a very little % of young drivers... more skilled? With a somewhat "inner" ability, prone for that? Yes. But those remains a little, micro minority. Others didn't end well.

That's why here in Italy you learn to drive with "normal" cars (and i assume this almost everywhere, but again, could be wrong).

Now a P.murinus is, in that sense, just like a B.albopilosum. They are both spiders at the end of the day, both with eight legs, the venom... doing, more or less, the same thing.

Just like a Ferrari and a Fiat 500 are both cars... still in both case, there's difference. That's where experience enters.

"You" will have to re-house that P.murinus, that grow like weed, sling. To perform cage maintenace, watering. Someone could been able, granted. But not every beginner.