why does tkg recommend obt?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
While there is an escalation of damage output in the gun progression you put out there. I think the point he was trying to make is once you go past BB gun any of those are deadly. Single shot will end you just as fast as a fully automatic. At that point there isn't a range, it's all or nothing. In Ts I think there is a range/progression of danger . For that reason it just doesn't really match up as well as other analogies.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I should have stuck to nerf gun BB gun hunting rifle. Point being, don't keep an OBT until you're ready to respect it, make the appropriate preparations and accept the risk you put you and your loved ones in when you keep a venemous animal.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
obts are definitely a step in the experience scale. that being said i think an obt was my 4th (5th?) tarantula i ever purchased at 3" and was my first old world. yes their fast and potentially dangerous, but so long as you respect them and invest in some longer tongs i cant see it being an issue. mine was a great learning experience for me and frankly i found it to be kinda overrated.

also in the few obts ive had ive noticed that once theyve settled and gotten comfortable in their space they arent very quick to move, at least my specimens. they were always more likely to stand their ground and throw a threat posture at everything, kind convenient actually.

i definitely wouldnt recommend them as a beginner species at all, but i certainly wouldnt consider them the apex of experienced keeping like some others do. i dont really account for defensiveness when thinking of a tarantulas difficult, only its husbandry, since all tarantulas should be treated with the same complete caution and respect. i treat all my terrestrials as if they were pterinochillous or cyriopagopus and all my arboreals as if they were stromatopelma.

since you said you had a few years under youre belt i dont have any doubt that an obt would be well within your capabilities. just remember what it is, what its capable of, and to not grow complacent around it.

i might actually even consider them a fairly decent gateway to old worlds. attitude of the old worlds that needs to be learned, with the easy of care which si arguably easier than most new worlds.

twinkleyell

Arachnopeon
i love my t's colorful (i mean, look, my first t after leaving the hobby is a a.purpurea) but i still cant really fathom the obsession with obts. i never thought of orange as a popular color in general so it sort of perplexes me as to why people want this specific species so much. i guess its the supposed "badge of coolness" you get when you own one. and tbh, obts remind me of someones hand covered in cheetos dust, not really the ideal spider for me when i can get one that looks like melted gushers (a.versicolor)

Toddums

Arachnopeon
Starting collecting T's this year. Glad I saw this thread...def not going to make any effort to get one of these. I did impulsively buy an H gabonensis though...It is super fast but hasn't put up a threat pose.

Tar

Arachnosquire
I got my first old world (well technically two) tarantulas when I was just 4 months into the hobby and I have the p.vittata and the c.burmensis.But an obt is really not going to be my first choice at keeping old world T's cause of their venom,their speed and their defensive/aggresive nature. The only thing that it is considered a "beginner" T is because it is very easy to keep(when it is not defensive). So I suggest you start with Stromatopelma calceatum, but if you do want to keep an obt start with a sling so this way the tarantula will not be as defensive to you vs if you buy it an sub adult- adult.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I got my first old world (well technically two) tarantulas when I was justonths into the hobby and I have the p.vittata and the c.burmensis.But an obt is really not going to be my first choice at keeping old world T's cause of their venom,their speed and their defensive/aggresive nature. The only thing that it is considered a "beginner" T is because it is very easy to keep(when it is not defensive). So I suggest you start with Stromatopelma calceatum, but if you do want to keep an obt start with a sling so this way the tarantula will not be as defensive to you vs if you buy it an sub adult- adult.
A Stromatopelma calceatum? Seriously? There are only a few genus worse than P.murinus...and you're suggesting one of those as a beginner OW?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I got my first old world (well technically two) tarantulas when I was just 4 months into the hobby and I have the p.vittata and the c.burmensis.But an obt is really not going to be my first choice at keeping old world T's cause of their venom,their speed and their defensive/aggresive nature. The only thing that it is considered a "beginner" T is because it is very easy to keep(when it is not defensive). So I suggest you start with Stromatopelma calceatum, but if you do want to keep an obt start with a sling so this way the tarantula will not be as defensive to you vs if you buy it an sub adult- adult.

Muahahahahahahah, you are suggesting a Theraphosidae, S.calceatum, that here in Italy, among the Arachnid-Community isn't considered at all a starting, middle, or what else one but a sort of "finishing line" for the advanced keepers.

I mean, P.murinus is a "no no" but a S.calceatum yes? Those arboreal 'Baboons' if possible are even more powerful in terms of venom potency, and they behave exactly like an 'OBT'. Just "flying" ;-)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Or maybe (hopefully) he got two common names mixed up and he means the 'stout legged baboon' E.pachypus instead of the 'featherlegged baboon' S.calceatum?
E.pachypus seems to be considered a relatively calm baboon species.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I won't go near Stromatopelma, and won't for a while despite my collection being OW. They are demons of spiders that are actually ones that give even experienced keepers a bit of a shock at times.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
'Nothing to risk'? Nowhere near that simple, you have much to learn. They're very unpredictable, that's part of an OW's defense strategy to confuse predators, along with high speed, stronger venoms, and the tendency to bite readily. NW's have urticating hairs, which are a tremendous development. They can throw projectiles from a safe distance. So lacking those, OW's pull out all the stops and do anything, and everything, to survive. Nothing's off the table when they're about to be instantly grabbed and eaten alive. Same as if a lion was about to kill you. This approach to survival makes them more difficult to work with in captivity. Many are prone to racing out of their cages at the slightest opportunity (like a jack-in-the-box): you're an intruder in their territory, and most likely a predator. Don't expect them to take that casually. Once out, they can go in any direction, they're running for their lives. And they may bite any hand that gets near them; some hang on or give multiple bites. Read bite reports of what the experience is like.
Comparing a lion to an OBT? Enough with the melodramatics.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I won't go near Stromatopelma, and won't for a while despite my collection being OW. They are demons of spiders that are actually ones that give even experienced keepers a bit of a shock at times.
The best remains always S.subspinipes. Those are really little demons. T's are angels compared.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I know what you mean but tell that to those Western Africans fruit trees climbers. They literally fly from the tree when they pick up the wrong one, where a S.calceatum lives.

Like "Superman" but without powers and in the wrong direction, try to imagine the scene, muahahahahahahahah, Ananas and fruit everywhere, and a 'Baboon' hissing!

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I think he was comparing the OBT's behavior toward you (its predator) to what your behavior would be toward a lion. The keeper is being compared to a lion in the "mind" of the OBT.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
obts are definitely a step in the experience scale. that being said i think an obt was my 4th (5th?) tarantula i ever purchased at 3" and was my first old world. yes their fast and potentially dangerous, but so long as you respect them and invest in some longer tongs i cant see it being an issue. mine was a great learning experience for me and frankly i found it to be kinda overrated.

also in the few obts ive had ive noticed that once theyve settled and gotten comfortable in their space they arent very quick to move, at least my specimens. they were always more likely to stand their ground and throw a threat posture at everything, kind convenient actually.

i definitely wouldnt recommend them as a beginner species at all, but i certainly wouldnt consider them the apex of experienced keeping like some others do. i dont really account for defensiveness when thinking of a tarantulas difficult, only its husbandry, since all tarantulas should be treated with the same complete caution and respect. i treat all my terrestrials as if they were pterinochillous or cyriopagopus and all my arboreals as if they were stromatopelma.

since you said you had a few years under youre belt i dont have any doubt that an obt would be well within your capabilities. just remember what it is, what its capable of, and to not grow complacent around it.

i might actually even consider them a fairly decent gateway to old worlds. attitude of the old worlds that needs to be learned, with the easy of care which si arguably easier than most new worlds.

^ Well said.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
Throwing in my two cents - An OBT was my first old world, and my second tarantula (purchased this past February). She's never given me an issue because I know what she's capable of and treat her with respect. Now, I have two OBTs, 15 other baboon species (including a calceatum and two maculata), out of 38 tarantulas owned. None of my baboons have proven to be any more difficult than any of my New World T's - nor do I expect any difficulties.

Don't take dumb risks, don't try to shoot videos while poking it with tongs, don't take it out and rub it's belly, and don't think you're going to "tame it." So long as you go into it knowing what you're getting, what to prepare for, and how to deal with any potential issues, you should have little to fear. As the Boy Scouts say, "Be prepared." Also, "you never know until you try."

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
all Ts are easy to keep. nothing special there.. "venom, speed, and their defensive/agressive nature", you just described the S. cal and all other OWs perfectly. yes slings are less defensive than adults, but that means they resort to flight immediately, they are very fast and a beginner prob cant catch one. they also grow very very fast and can outpace a beginner OW keepers experience within half a year.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Dry substrate and enough to burrow, hides, full water dish, plant decorations if you desire.

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
Don't do it man! they are a tarantula I do not think anyone who isn't and expert should have. I have been into tarantula's for going on three years now and STILL feel I am too new for one. They are fast, mean, have been known to charge at you, fearless and yes a pet hole. Please don't get one of these. Especially if you are a beginner!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Don't do it man! they are a tarantula I do not think anyone who isn't and expert should have. I have been into tarantula's for going on three years now and STILL feel I am too new for one. They are fast, mean, have been known to charge at you, fearless and yes a pet hole. Please don't get one of these. Especially if you are a beginner!
i think hes just looking for info.