why does tkg recommend obt?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
so why does tarantulakeeper.blogspot recommend a obt as a beginner T? im getting comfortable with my collection and likely soon to get an old world. why is obt on there? if i was to get obt i dont want a pet hole. i want something that will be visible and terrestrial, is this a good option or not? i have been keeping NW for a few months and dont mind the wait but is an obt a good idea to meet my requirements? something i can see daily?

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
There are some "bridge" species, if I'm not mistaken, that are good to ease you into the OW species.

People on here are going to tell you to wait, especially if you've only been keeping for a few months. That is a given. But ultimately, it is up to you to decide if you're ready for that kind of commitment and risk factor or not. You know how 'ready' you are, better than anyone else. And no one can stop you and slap your wrist, and say you can't have what you want.

I think you'd be best off listening to some opinions of the more experienced keepers here, just to gain some more insight, before you make a decision. Hopefully they aren't rude and trample you over wanting to get an OW.

From what I understand (and I'm new to the hobby so take what I say with a grain of salt for inexperience), you could get an arboreal NW first. They're faster than NW terrestrial, and it would be a good step in the right direction.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
No. And no. You aren't experienced enough, and it would grow too fast. Just wait a bit dude.
i dont mind waiting at all. just more curious why they are listed from the tkg as beginners? im comfortable with what i have i just like the colors the OW have. Im sure i could keep with no issues because im very cautious but i do believe in listening to old time keepers. why should i start to consider a OW?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
i dont mind waiting at all. just more curious why they are listed from the tkg as beginners? im comfortable with what i have i just like the colors the OW have. Im sure i could keep with no issues because im very cautious but i do believe in listening to old time keepers. why should i start to consider a OW?
That's not the official TKG, Its just some blog from a guy using the same name. If you want a terrestrial T that has great display qualities there's B. albopilosum, A. genic, L. parahybana, B. smithi, G. pulchripes etc.

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
There are some "bridge" species, if I'm not mistaken, that are good to ease you into the OW species.

People on here are going to tell you to wait, especially if you've only been keeping for a few months. That is a given. But ultimately, it is up to you to decide if you're ready for that kind of commitment and risk factor or not. You know how 'ready' you are, better than anyone else. And no one can stop you and slap your wrist, and say you can't have what you want.

I think you'd be best off listening to some opinions of the more experienced keepers here, just to gain some more insight, before you make a decision. Hopefully they aren't rude and trample you over wanting to get an OW.

From what I understand (and I'm new to the hobby so take what I say with a grain of salt for inexperience), you could get an arboreal NW first. They're faster than NW terrestrial, and it would be a good step in the right direction.
i have p. pulcher and p. irminia so speed is there. im have many years with inverts just none that will send me to the doctor. if i do get bit im sure my family dr. can get me the right meds. but im in no rush. im just debating how fast a obt really is compared to a psalmopoeus

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
They're very hardy, so they're difficult for a beginner to kill through poor husbandry. I think a Ceratogyrus sp. or Eucratoscelus pachypus or Monocentropus balfouri would be better options, though. Maybe an Augacephalus ezendami or Heterothele sp. too.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
That's not the official TKG, Its just some blog from a guy using the same name. If you want a terrestrial T that has great display qualities there's B. albopilosum, A genic, L. parahybana, B. smithi, G. pulchripes etc.
i have a few of those already. so what makes you really ready for an OW? i mean at some point you are but when? what are the definite signs? for instance you need to do what before getting a OW?

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
i have p. pulcher and p. irminia so speed is there. im have many years with inverts just none that will send me to the doctor. if i do get bit im sure my family dr. can get me the right meds. but im in no rush. im just debating how fast a obt really is compared to a psalmopoeus
Ah, I can't help you there. I just know that the TKG is VERY outdated with some information, so I wouldn't doubt that claiming an OBT as a beginner species could fall under that outdated information box.

Good luck getting the information you need. ;)

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
i mean i keep it in a cage, drop a feeder in. when cleaning cage i cup method it so there is nothing to risk.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
i have a few of those already. so what makes you really ready for an OW? i mean at some point you are but when? what are the definite signs? for instance you need to do what before getting a OW?
You're not going to get a straight answer, unfortunately. There is no set prerequisite for owning an OW. I got my first OW after owning T's for about six months... which I wouldn't recommend. But it turned out fine, and now I own mostly OW spiders.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
well, how many years have you been keeping for? whats your current collection? i got my first OW (p. muticus) about 3 years into the hobby, mind you, i didnt have that many Ts for that whole time. about 5, NW terrestrials and 1 arboreal sling.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
You're not going to get a straight answer, unfortunately. There is no set prerequisite for owning an OW. I got my first OW after owning T's for about six months... which I wouldn't recommend. But it turned out fine, and now I own mostly OW spiders.
about 3 to 4 months. but like i said im not in a hurry, but what made you get one? and im not totally new to keeping advanced pets. im not worried about the fact of keeping them alive. im just curious at the answers to why not to get one? other than the bite is there any reason not to? if everytime i go into the cage for cleaning i cup it how can there ne an issue?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
about 3 to 4 months. but like i said im not in a hurry, but what made you get one? and im not totally new to keeping advanced pets. im not worried about the fact of keeping them alive. im just curious at the answers to why not to get one? other than the bite is there any reason not to? if everytime i go into the cage for cleaning i cup it how can there ne an issue?
I got one because I dealt with venom with other pets in the past, and I dealt with the speed of certain NW species. But what I just brought up is why we recommend waiting before trying an OW - nothing prepares you for that speed. You have to train your brain to react a certain way, which only comes with experience. Nothing else. This is why only you can answer this question. Gun to my head? No, you're not ready, but you're on the right path :) Give it at least six months more and then revisit the issue. When you think you're ready, ask this forum which OW to start with. I certainly have my suggestions!

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Provided you can cup it...nothing will be an issue. If you can't and it escapes it could get interesting. They're lightning fast. I don't have Psalmos (i have pokies though) but once you hit that speed they're faster than you anyway.

The infamous attitude and color is what attracts a lot of people. They web a lot, when I had a 3.5" one many years ago for a few months I could watch it with a red light but it wasn't usually out and about. It would stalk crickets from under the blanket of webbing. I was still pretty new, maybe six months and only NW terrestrials, I sold it in the tank so I didn't have to deal with it.

The initial unpacking was not smooth, scared the hell out of me when I cracked open the deli cup lid and a fang immediately appeared over the edge and part of leg. I was trying to keep enough pressure to hold it in but not hurt it. Eventually I got it in to its new home via extreme measures but I had realized I was in over my head. I couldn't believe how fast it was, laps before I even registered what happened.

I can think of many other species I'd rather have even now lol.

cold blood

Staff member
so why does tarantulakeeper.blogspot recommend a obt as a beginner T?
These "lists" hold about as much value as online care sheets...read for entertainment, not to learn....or better yet, just ignore them altogether.

When you have the confidence that you don't have to ask or wonder if you are ready...everybody has their own schedule, but I'm of the belief that if you have to ask, you're probably not ready....and by have to ask, I don't just mean the "should I get it" question...also the care and temperament q's.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You won't know if your ready untill it does something unpredictable or downright scary..

Working with OBTs IMO is generally not that fun...
So damn defensive with little in the way of "personality" the appeal of the shiny orange paint job wears off fast when your crunched for time and you have to chase down that orange spider thats always in a bad mood.

Some obts are less likely to spazz but most are more than happy to run up the tongues or up the side of the enclosure while changeing water dishes or removing a bolus...
Complete noob bait junk tarantulas IMO.. ( sorry obt lovers)

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I'd be pretty skeptical of any source that says an OBT is a good beginner species, or even a good first OW species. Part of it may be the fact that they're so easy to keep from a hardiness standpoint. But the ultra-defensive nature combined with OW speed should really deter people. I'll be getting my first OW soon and there's no way I even considered an OBT.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How are your Psalmopoeus, temperament-wise? Defensive or run and hide? How big are they?
If you have raised a P.irminia that is defensive, you could consider an Obt. Maybe.
I would start with less hysterical baboons though. Ceratogyrus is usually recommended as starter OW.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
You have to pass the OW proficiency exam. Then you have to do a presentation before Congress demonstrating your tarantula competence. :D OBTs end up on beginner lists because they're low maintenance, bullet proof, and grow like weeds. I don't know about you, but I've got a short attention span. By the time a B. smithi matures, I probably wont be into Ts anymore.