Why does the tarantula community vehemently oppose heat padd?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't read all the posts, just a quicky. imo on the side works. I've seen burrowing Ts in the wild doing what obviously looks to be sunning and warming up at their entrance. Waiting for something to eat to come along prob but it does also look like they are soaking in the sun a little.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
That is a lot harder indeed! You can't put a fan on the enclosures, I don't think they like that, and if you have NW, u-hairs are going to be all over the place.
But then again, Theraphosidae can handle higher temps in general, save for members of the Megaphobema genus.
How are you planning to cool? How hot does it get over where you live?
average monthly temps for the next 3 months are between 104-106 with spikes up to 118 regularly

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
@Andrea82 , @Tanner Dzula What about an air-conditioner? I know that not everyone has it, but I have one and if we are talking about higher temps, I'm really curious about it. Is it dangerous for T's? You know, it came earlier than the lil' spiders. :) Of course, the machine is in the room, and it isn't blows cold air exactly on them.
well we have AC in the house, but its a struggle to keep the temps below 85 in the house half the time, and thats similar to with the heating situation where it basicly brings out Electric bill from like ~$80 a month to anywhere from 200-300. basicly the same struggle everybody else has Except the inverse effect with the heat haha. the only problem is, there are hundreds of safe and cheap options for raising the ambient heat (space heaters, Heat pads, micro climates, heat strips/tapes/cords) but there is a relatively small market for centralized cooling in a situation like this. most of the options include extra AC units and such which are absolute Electricity guzzlers.

boina

Lady of the mites
average monthly temps for the next 3 months are between 104-106 with spikes up to 118 regularly
Ok, I'm not going there, ever :drunk::dead:. I'm totally in agreement with my M. mesomelas: everything above 80F is definitely too hot and 70F is best.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Ok, I'm not going there, ever :drunk::dead:. I'm totally in agreement with my M. mesomelas: everything above 80F is definitely too hot and 70F is best.
exactly. most of my species are for the most part arid species, usually new world terrestrials and some african baboons, so i know they would probably be fine, but like, my Avics, my asians, ETC idk how they would do and its just a pain for the ones that do like it extra moist to keep it that way.

9 months of the year its absolutely beautiful between 65-85 degrees but for 3-5 months its literally like living in an oven haha.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Because they are unnecessary and potentially dangerous. I live in Indiana and have no problem keeping my spiders comfortable in ultra frigid conditions. Room heater set to 72ish. Done.