Why does everyone hate mushrooms in their enclosure?

vengeance

Arachnopeon
I always see youtubers and people online saying they want to get rid of mushrooms growing in their enclosure. If they happen to grow in the same conditions the creature in there likes whats the harm? I would be stoked if some mushies showed up.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For humans some fungi are lethal, like black mold.

I think that’s the basis. Also there’s been long term internet ideas that spores will impair breathing in their book lungs.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
...and even if breathing is not affected, fungi usually multiply quickly. In a small spider enclosure there is quickly no more room for the original resident.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
well, i dont understand it ether, a mushroom bloom is a problem, but an occasional fruiting body popping up only seems beneficial
perhaps people use 100% organic substrate and the fungus eats it up fast, if you have a high content of silica in your substrate its no issue at all

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I like mushrooms, I think they're an amazing organism and the fruiting bodies look funny.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Off topic: the fact that mushrooms are more closely related to humans than to plants can definitely be described as crazy!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I always see youtubers and people online saying they want to get rid of mushrooms growing in their enclosure. If they happen to grow in the same conditions the creature in there likes whats the harm? I would be stoked if some mushies showed up.
I had to have a mushroom hurt any tarantulas. It is annoying when they show up. But mold itself is much more prominent.

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
They are hard to identify and potentially dangerous. If I can be sure a mushroom I find in my setup is harmless, I would be happy to have them. However, there is always a chance it turns out to be something nasty.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I find it charming when mushrooms pop up. I’ve only ever had them pop up in my LP enclosure. He always tears them up, but only after they start wilting. It’s just interesting to see some action in a T enclosure I guess lol

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
google mushrooms workers lung. Even if they are not toxic, a lot of them are, the amount of spores produce can be insane.

I have some shitake that will produces cm's of spores. they can and will work into the book lungs and can and will suffocate them.

So if like mushrooms in your enclosures always remove them before they spawn.

In the wild, mushrooms wait until a good wind to spread the spores and rain will wash them away

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
pretty nice for some critters that like the decaying. this is a 90 gallon for millipedes, isopods, worms etc and fish/snails/shrimp. i enjoy the mushroom flushes that happen now and then.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
i enjoy the mushroom flushes that happen now and then.
I always love when they happen in my vivariums as well! Something so mesmerizing about the cycle continuing on a small scale inside a tank and offering a view of beauty!

Tanks looks nice!

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
They are hard to identify and potentially dangerous. If I can be sure a mushroom I find in my setup is harmless, I would be happy to have them. However, there is always a chance it turns out to be something nasty.
Too true! Especially when you consider the fact that fungi are so diverse and fruiting bodies from an inert species may appear identical to one that is toxic.

That being said, I would love to get some fungi going in a bioactive enclosure when I get the time to properly set something like that up.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Too true! Especially when you consider the fact that fungi are so diverse and fruiting bodies from an inert species may appear identical to one that is toxic.

That being said, I would love to get some fungi going in a bioactive enclosure when I get the time to properly set something like that up.
Mushroom spawn, pretty often with Eco earth. Although it’s mostly mold. I wouldn’t say significant enough for bioactive.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Mushroom spawn, pretty often with Eco earth. Although it’s mostly mold. I wouldn’t say significant enough for bioactive.
Honestly, may give that a go without a T in the enclosure. I wonder if I can introduce a safe species to outcompete any potentially harmful ones 🤔.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Doesn't seem well confirmed spore loads would be OK for tarantuals. I don't know either. but there is evidence in other species it is bad. Locally we have found many a fungally eaten spider still on its web. Those are parasitic fungi, not mushroom types mind you.

usually to have good mushroom flushes it would likely be too moist for many tarantulas. either way, if you place good food for fungal growth (cork is bad, which is why it's used so much) and add water, the spores in the air will germinate. For me when doing wet tanks, I spray a mix of sugar and nitrogen onto all the wood, stick it in a tub outside and let the mold run its course. It will regardless, may as well hurry it up and do it outdoors. Once it starts to die, get colonized by other fungi, Victoria etc I let it sit a couple weeks. Then sun dry. Gives everything a nice solid layer of Biota, bio film. Them setup the tank, spread loads of the moss and ferns species I like spores and wait a month or 3 till it's more or less established before placing in critters. I don't keep spiders this way though.

In contrast, critters that live in decaying matter and more moist conditions are probably better suited. That's why we keep millipedes, isopods, snails etc. Things that naturally eat such stuff. And fish. When we get a huge mushroom flush, we change the water after just in case of any toxicity to the water. The spores coat the waters surface. On land, the critters eat em up pretty quick.

Last edited: