1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people keep telling me Acivs are stubborn?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by PhilMcWonder, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Mini8leggedfreak

Mini8leggedfreak Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Could someone clarify sling and juvenile. (Sizes please)

I have I think 7 sp of Avics one or maybe 2 caribena and they always eat very well.
    Most in the .75-1.5” range.
    Actually my versi that’s starting to show adult colour is the one that I’m having trouble feeding.

So people are finding slings harder to feed? Not adults?

2. Suave247

Suave247 Arachnopeon

Not at all, I have an Avicularia Metallica juvenile and a versicolor sling and they have been fine. Slings are delicate to care for but overall aboreals just need more ventilation and balanced humidity vs terrestrial spiders like my goliath needing higher humidity

3. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight

Indiana
    I feed every tarantula superworms or meal worms depending on size. The bigger tarantulas get crickets every other month as well as an occasional night crawler. They all eat the meal or super worms, including the avics. I have a hundred or so tarantulas in various sizes, and have yet to have one starve lol.

4. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Not saying they can't or won't eat well. But theyre just pickier at that size.

Avics get like 5" roughly, so about 2.5"+ is juvi imo.

5. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Just to throw a wrench in the gears gears, I’ll say my versicolors were less picky as slings. Now as subadults they never come out of their web hammock. Food and water mostly needs to be placed close to them for them to take it, which can be tough when their hammock is at the top of the enclosure. As slings they would come down and hunt so that wasn’t an issue.

6. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron

i havent heard that and mine is my best eater only recently has it ever refused food outside of pre molt

7. PhilMcWonder

PhilMcWonder Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas
    Im told that most Avics like to explore the enclosure every once in a while when they think the coast is clear. Its rare after they make a large enough web but they supposedly still do. I dont know if this is a individual personality thing or a species thing.