1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people keep telling me Acivs are stubborn?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by PhilMcWonder, Nov 7, 2018.

1. PhilMcWonder

PhilMcWonder Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    So far I have had about 4 people tell me Pink Toes are stubborn creatures.
    In particular food. I hear people keep saying they refuse food.
    My Pink has been eating every time I feed it.
    Does anyone here have troubles feeding them?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

Haven’t heard they were stubborn, but they are known to be ‘hard’ to keep for new people entering the hobby. Sometime they will go off of food if kept in a larger enclosure as they’ll end up scrunched up in a corner due to stress

3. PhilMcWonder

Texas
    So if they are stressed they refuse food? I assumed that would go for most Ts in general.

4. antinous

Larger enclosures stress Avics more than other T’s if I remember correctly.

5. PhilMcWonder

Texas
    I like large enclosures, but I know I need a taller one. Mine is eating just fine so I assume it is comfortable enough at the moment.

6. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

slings are picky. juvis+ are great feeders.

just because it eats, doesnt mean the cage is appropriate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Chinese proverb:"Because you talked to the wrong four persons" :pompous: <-- Smilies depicting a wise Shanghai of the '20s Chinese man

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PhilMcWonder

Texas
    I know mine isnt. It needs to be taller and I want a cage with cross ventilation.

9. Venom1080

post a pic of it.

10. Mini8leggedfreak

Mini8leggedfreak Arachnosquire Active Member

Just throwing something in here. I’m not sure that the size of an enclosure would stress anything out, maybe it’s more about cover and if there’s enough for the spider to hid away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. antinous

Meant to say that but was in a rush. Usually when people give them a large enclosure they don’t give as much cover as they want to be able to see the spider.

12. PhilMcWonder

Texas
    Figured that was the case. Spiders in the wild aren't stressed because of the size of their home but rather exposure. A big cage is perfectly fine if it has plenty of stuff the T can use to build a home and a place where it can feel safe. Right now mine is in a 10 gallon tank that only has holes on top. I want an arboreal tank with vents on the top and sides.

Either way she eats everything so I don't understand people telling me they are "stubborn eaters".

13. Jurdon

Jurdon Arachnosquire Active Member

maybe your avic’s broken

in all seriousness, rather than wonder why other people have pickier avics, perhaps consider yourself lucky to have a garbage disposal of a spider! i know i would, my only T is fasting currently :^(

14. FrmDaLeftCoast

FrmDaLeftCoast Arachnopeon Active Member

Perhaps when peeps are referring to humans when they say "pink toes being stubborn creatures"??? :troll:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Some are better eaters than others (A. variegata have a much stronger feeding response than A. avicularia for example) but they all eat pretty well IME.

Edit: They seem to cue in on movement more than other species so if a prey item doesn't move that much then they might not go for it, they go absolutely winged-rat excrement crazy for moths.

You've been told they're stubborn because they never go where you want them to (try to pack an Avic or Caribena for shipping and you'll see what I mean, same with rehouses but to a lesser extent), they also like to throw in the odd no-scope poop snipe just to add insult to injury.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. PhilMcWonder

Texas
    That's a defense apparently. They do it as a "Go away/Leave me alone" in nature.

17. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

A lot of arboreals do it, there's a clip of Rob C on YouTube where he gets poop sniped by his adult female P. irminia.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Djv44spider

Djv44spider Arachnopeon

USA
    I think it also depends on the individual T as well

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Award Award x 1
  19. Luka98

Luka98 Arachnosquire Active Member

Serbia
    I have a c versi i guess that (kinda) still counts, as others have said as long as you have the appropriate enclosure it's all good. Venting and anchor points are key, also check this diy enclosure if you're stressing out about a proper viv, it's like ferrero tailored their candy box for big sling/juvie avic keeping, mine is in one of those and it's amazing how well it works :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Venom1080

Read my post again. Slings are picky. You have a adult. Very simple concept.