1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do arachnids grow so slowly?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by khil, Jul 7, 2019.

1. khil

khil Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    The absolute fastest growing tarantulas may reach 3 or 4 inches a year from birth, but that is generally the exception and not the norm. Most take years to reach that size, even with continuous feeding and warmth. I've had scorpions haven't reached an inch a year after their birth, not even 50% of their adult size. Heck many insects grow quite slow as well (beetles etc).

Meanwhile someone barges in with a 30 lb puppy that's 6 months old. Endo/ectotherm aside, why do insects and arachnids grow so damn slow? It's almost frustrating, because I love them and I love raising them. Thoughts? Theories? Good reads?

2. Demonclaws

Demonclaws Arachnosquire Active Member

3. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnodemon Active Member

Categorizing arachnids in general as slow growing is something I disagree with. Not all arachnids grow slow nor are all of them the same. My N. incei matured in 7-8 months, which I had a A. avic matured into a small MM in a little over a year when I got him at 1.5''-1.75''. And if we're talking true spiders, I recently had a B. scutatus sling into a Mature male in 6 months (although he's tiny). It's not good to categorize "arachnids" as all slow growing. But I can agree that some T.'s are very, very, slow at growing.

N. incei Before and After

B. scutatus MM

4. Garetyl

Garetyl Arachnoknight Active Member

Because they know we love them and they do their best to live as long as they can, just for us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Isn’t it just a matter of their metabolism?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Well that's just not true. Many species can grow faster than this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

So... does that mean that my fast-growing Ts hate me, and are deliberately stuffing themselves and growing as fast as they can, just so they can leave me sooner? :(

In the words of Meatloaf: "So now I'm praying for the end of time, that's all that I can do! I'm praying for the end of time, so I can end my time with you."

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Then, imagine. 30lbs sling that’s 6 months old. How would you feel about it? :troll:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Garetyl

Garetyl Arachnoknight Active Member

Not everyone's best is the same, it doesn't mean they don't love you any less. :angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:

I'd boop its not-snoot and call it a good pupper.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. You think arachnids grow slow, have you checked out how long it takes a Homo sapiens to mature?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Olan

Olan Arachnolord Old Timer

My geniculata probably multiplied it’s weight by at least 1000x in 2.5 years. Imagine if a 1 lb puppy got to 1000 lbs in that time frame

12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Most insects don’t live that long, that’s why they have large numbers of progeny.

Most Ts don’t live that long either

13. khil

khil Arachnobaron Active Member

I mean a possum multiplies it's weight by about 500x in about a year. Same with many marsupials, the only difference with a dog is that it spends most of it's early years in the mothers womb. Spiderlings do not.

Also, fish! Many species will grow to 1000x their size at birth within 6 months or less.

14. Aarantula

Aarantula Arachnobaron Old Timer

NJ
    Where can I get one?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Asgiliath

Asgiliath Arachnosquire Active Member

Humans grow much more slowly :)

16. Rhino1

Rhino1 Arachnoknight Active Member

A lot of arachnids are born, grow to adulthood, reproduce and then die of old age all within 12-18 months.