Why corkbark?

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Ive used that word so many times it doesnt look like its spelled right anymore. cork:o_O:

What makes it the best for use in vivariums? The specific species of bark? The way its sterilized? All of the above?

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
Based on my own experience, it's been the ease of climbing for my arboreals. They can easily grip to it unlike the glass which can be abit more challenging for some. I've seen my regalis slide down the side of a glass tank I made. Pret funny to watch, but I was also able to easily customize the bark the way I wanted it while it was outside the tank so I could just glue the finished piece to the inside of the tank once it's complete. Hopes this sheds a little light for you.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
It's cheap, easy to move around, good for arboreal and terrestrial species, easy to clean.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Thanks for all the responces. Its funny how I've been looking for the answer, and after I post on here, I find it. So a quick rundown for any interested. Im not a scientist so this post is 99% jargon free;)

Tree bark consists of two layers. The inner and outer. The outer layer of tree bark is called cork. We get our cork bark from the Cork Oak Tree for several reasons. Once the tree is 8 years old the bark can be stripped with no damage to the tree, and then can be re harvested every 9-14 years there after until the Tree dies. Cork is considered a renewable resource (only as long as we continue to use these cultivation methods)
The other reason, and the reason of interest to me, is Subertin. Subertin has been found in the cork of many trees, as well as in some root tissue. However, based upon my research, the highest volume of subertin can be found within the cork bark of the Cork Oak Tree, and we are talking by a large amount. It is subertin that gives the bark a soft waxy feel, and makes it water repellent at the cellular level. The ability to resist water penetration reduces the likliehood of mold and fungus infestation, as well as making the material less moist/humid, which will reduce its attractiveness to insects.