Why aren't P. scrofa more popular? Cheap, gorgeous

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you are right. When I looked up some of the pictures that were supposed to be Paraphysa scrofa today quite a few looked like my AF Chilean Copper from many years ago, and quite a few didn't hah. SO I agree, it seems the identity of this specimen needs to be verified when people own it.

As for the correct genus name, that's a good question to. When I bought mine, the current genus Phrixotrichus was not used for the Chilean Copper to my knowledge mind you.

I will have to see if I have a pic of her mirror patch. I'm almost positive I don't.
Two years ago I bought a female from Net-Bug, and same thing, it was still being galled Paraphysa scrofa. I ended up seeling her with the rest of my collection at the time before I moved. She was very pretty but strange, she never would be on the substrate and my friend who bought her said he still rarely sees her on the substrate. And it was not too moist. She was also much quicker then she looked! I expected the speed of a Grammastola but she was really quick. Here's a picture of her for reference:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I do the same thing for E. sp Red, H. sp. Colubmbia Large and I. mira as you know
I was about to say, I think Idiothele mira might be enjoying a little surge in popularity. There are some hobby classics that always are and probably always will be in demand, and then other species that seem to have little bursts of interest followed by periods of relative indifference from hobbyists.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Does Tarantula Canada sell Ts on their site or just at shows?

And do they deliver to the USA!
They sell them online as well. They have just shipped me my two A. versicolor spiderlings. I think there is a high minimum order for U.S. shipments - same as the the U.S. dealers shipping to Canada. I think it is generally $1,000.
You can contact them to be sure.
http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/news.php
+1, In addition to having a valid U.S. Fish and Wildlife (USFW) import/export license

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does Tarantula Canada sell Ts on their site or just at shows?

And do they deliver to the USA!
TC does sell to the USA I contacted Martin and his wife. However, the minimum order I believe is 2,000 MAYBE 1,000 US $$

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That's insane never mind
It's the same going the other way as well. We can't get anything shipped to Canada from U.S. dealers. They either don't ship at all or have a minimum of $1000US. I'm sure all the paperwork would also apply.
I'm not sure whether that is a good thing, or a bad thing - I think I might be bankrupt if I had more suppliers to order from.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
It's the same going the other way as well. We can't get anything shipped to Canada from U.S. dealers. They either don't ship at all or have a minimum of $1000US. I'm sure all the paperwork would also apply.
I'm not sure whether that is a good thing, or a bad thing - I think I might be bankrupt if I had more suppliers to order from.
Agreed, if I more sellers to choose from I'd be broke lol