1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why aren't P. scrofa more popular? Cheap, gorgeous

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Sharno, May 28, 2016.

1. Sharno

Sharno Arachnosquire Classifieds User

Advertisement
    The colors in my little guy (or gal) are amazing and it's only 2 inches. The copper color with blue legs -- amazing.

So many of the popular tarantulas for hobbyists are those with exotic colors -- lots of people love the blues of any kind - P. met, blue foots, etc.

Meanwhile here's this easy-to-find, cheap, safe(r) tarantula -- why aren't people all over these?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

easy to find she says..

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

I adore these guys, but I've only ever been able to find tiny tiny slings and they grow about as fast as G rosea from what I've heard, and I'm just not up for that.

4. Sharno

Maybe I am wrong, but I know I have seen these slings for like $15 or less vs. the other "blues" you see out there for $50, $75 as slings. Are they that hard to find?
    For retail, just a quick search and found 1/3 inch for $25 on netbug. This is so much cheaper than a P. meticalla or B. balfouri.

5. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

if Sarkhan42s right about hem growing like a rosea, im not up for that. maybe ill buy a AF in the future but not in the next few years for sure. i haven't seen any in Canada either.

6. jiacovazzi

jiacovazzi Arachnoknight

Many show up at reptile shows near me from WC imports. I agree thought, definitely an amazing species to have!

7. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

There's certain Theraphosidae that, for strange reasons, aren't "appealing" to the general mass. I'm a bit baffled by that :-s

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sharno

A poster commented about the slow growth - ah yes I get it. I looked up when I got this sling -- January of 2015. Very slow growing :) but worth the wait!

9. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

When you see them, they're everywhere, then they aren't. I agree though, nice looking t...I have a little one and its a really good eater even though its just now 1/2"...doesn't seem to be any slower of a grower than most Brachy's, maybe faster...def. not rosea speed IME.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I owned a female before and thought its size was great. The copper color was quite nice too. I suspect they aren't as popular because they are small, most people buy Ts because they want a LARGE "spider". Also, only a guess, many probably see it as a small Rosie, and why get a small one when you can get a larger version, esp a RCF. Just my 2cents.

What's interesting is that yours is blue, and mine never was, in fact I've never seen any in person that were blue. Only pics on the net had blue to them, and not the brightest blue. I wonder, assuming they are accurate in identification, if there's a locality morph?

I'd take an E sp Red/Yellows over my AF Chilean Copper any day of the week.

11. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince

NC
    Interesting, there are so many species I am unaware even exist. I'm not a fan of the super slow growers but these look cool. Guess I'll add another to the list.

12. Walter1

Walter1 Arachnosquire

Here's why- they carry real and imagined baggage associated with common rosehairs.

13. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince

NC
    Well for me, it's like it is for a lot of other cool tarantulas. I just didn't know they were out there. It seems like I hear about awesome new tarantulas every time I come on here. That's why when I hit one I really like, (I.mira) I shamelessly promote it so everyone else can see how awesome it is. :D

So let people know of the cool Ts you like and as new people come on they find out about them all the sooner.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnodemon Active Member

The dwarf species have become extremely popular. When I contacted Tarantula Canada asking if they could get the Euathlus, Amanda commented that they couldn't even give them away in the past... then, all of a sudden, everyone was asking for them.
    I think all it takes is one video, a couple of well known people giving them a rave review, and their popularity skyrockets. Especially when there are adults around now. Plus, there are lots of other dwarf species people are collecting and it is a branch of the hobby that they didn't have an opportunity to collect until now.
    Personally, I love the thought of having all these little dwarf tarantulas around.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Flexzone

Flexzone Arachnodemon

Yes, Amanda has told me that in the past they would literally have some dwarf specimens for years without much fanfare, Then randomly all of a sudden boom.. They start selling them all out like hotcakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

About the accuracy of the ID of hobby P. scrofa... The first problem is, when one writes "P. scrofa," is the incorrect generic placement of Paraphysa (=Euathlus) meant or the correct one of Phrixotrichus? When one searches Google, or even the gallery here on AB, for "P. scrofa" for just "scrofa", you get pictures of a tarantula that could be 2 maybe 3 different species most of which have an obvious single patch of urticating hairs. This immediately removes the possibility of it from being Phrixotricus scrofa as one generic character of both males and females of Phrixotrichus is the presence of two lateral urticating hair patches. So then the question remains, what the heck is the tarantula being sold as "P. scrofa" really?

Going solely by the pictures of Paraphysa scrofa on the internet, it would seem the hobby made a mess of the identity of this tarantula. Going solely on pictures on the internet, they look like a Euathlus species (or two or three) which makes sense since Paraphysa is a junior synonym of Euathlus. But no one stopped to think that Phrixotricus scrofa was removed from the synonymy of Euathlus (=Paraphysa) thus resurrecting the genus Phrixotrichus. Anything bought or sold as Paraphysa scrofa or Phrixotrichus scrofa needs to be re-evaluated and labels updated to reflect their correct identity.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. viper69

I think you are right. When I looked up some of the pictures that were supposed to be Paraphysa scrofa today quite a few looked like my AF Chilean Copper from many years ago, and quite a few didn't hah. SO I agree, it seems the identity of this specimen needs to be verified when people own it.

As for the correct genus name, that's a good question to. When I bought mine, the current genus Phrixotrichus was not used for the Chilean Copper to my knowledge mind you.

I will have to see if I have a pic of her mirror patch. I'm almost positive I don't.

18. viper69

I do the same thing for E. sp Red, H. sp. Colubmbia Large and I. mira as you know

• Like Like x 3

19. Does Tarantula Canada sell Ts on their site or just at shows?

And do they deliver to the USA!

20. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnodemon Active Member

They sell them online as well. They have just shipped me my two A. versicolor spiderlings. I think there is a high minimum order for U.S. shipments - same as the the U.S. dealers shipping to Canada. I think it is generally $1,000.
    You can contact them to be sure.
    http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/news.php

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1