Why are Tarantulas So expensive online right now?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can find these at petco and petsmart for like $25-$45
If this is your attitude towards pricing, you will be upset regardless of which *reputable* vendor you choose. Irresponsible vendors have this way of obtaining cheap specimens and in turn selling them cheaply. What you are NOT getting with them is any assurance the species is correct, any assurance the sex is correct, any assurance the spider is healthy, etc. In addition, you are going to receive *HORRIBLE* husbandry advice and likely advised to purchase a bunch of unnecessary (and potentially deadly) accessories.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
$250-300 for females not including shipping! Aren't these like beginner breeds?
First-- tarantulas aren't like dogs or cats (same species), each T is a UNIQUE species. I strongly suggest you take a bit more interest in the animals you are interested in.

Those are average prices for adult females. You do realize it takes many years for a female to be full sized, let alone all the time in between of maybe raising slings and getting only males.

I have an adult female from the Avic genus, no intentions of selling her, but wouldn't tell her for less than 275-300$

These are common species and I'm just not sure why they are so much money.
see above

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
125 for an adult T doesnt seem that off to me. Sure petco may have them cheaper but care of the Ts often suffer big time. I dont mind paying that price for an adult tarantula from a reputable dealer. I cant speak for the classifieds on here because I'm new lol but I'm planning on checking them out as I've had a harder time finding mature T's in general. (I'm likely looking in the wrong places)