Why are Tarantulas So expensive online right now?

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
I have seen Brachypelma smithi, Brachypelma vagans, Brachypelma albopilosum and so many others going for $125-$150 for Males and $250-300 for females not including shipping! Aren't these like beginner breeds? What is with these horrible prices everywhere online? I can find these at petco and petsmart for like $25-$45

My thoughts were: maybe the time of year? It's pretty cold so maybe that's what absurdly jacking up all the prices, that's really the only reason I can think of. These are common species and I'm just not sure why they are so much money.
What do You all think?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
You're not looking at the right places. Look at other vendors, you'll find them cheaper. Females can run a bit high for Brachypelma hamorii (ex. smithi), but the other two shouldn't be that high IMO.

Also, tarantulas don't have breeds, they're different species.

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
Are you looking at prices for mature specimens?
I'm looking for Females. So I guess so.
I'm fairly new to the Tarantula hobby.

You're not looking at the right places. Look at other vendors, you'll find them cheaper. Females can run a bit high for Brachypelma hamorii (ex. smithi), but the other two shouldn't be that high IMO.

Also, tarantulas don't have breeds, they're different species.
What are some good vendors?

Last edited by a moderator:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm looking for Females. So I guess so.
I'm fairly new to the Tarantula hobby.
Females will be more expensive than males and more expensive than slings. If you want a cheaper option, I'd buy a few slings to raise your chances of getting a female.

Check the Classifieds, that's where I normally go for Ts.

H3rmitHasTrantulas

Arachnopeon
Females will be more expensive than males and more expensive than slings. If you want a cheaper option, I'd buy a few slings to raise your chances of getting a female.

Check the Classifieds, that's where I normally go for Ts.
Gotcha. Where can you find the Classifieds?

The Seraph

Arachnolord
In order to access that category, you'll need to either become an active member on the forum...or pay a small fee to become a classifieds member and gain instant access.
It cannot be that hard to find B. hamorii or B. albopilosum in the classifieds that you would need to post a Want to Buy.

@Spoidey, it you are wondering why go do not have permission to post a comment an a thread in the classifieds forum, that is because you have to private message the person to see about getting a spider. Also, the reason that the spiders are so expensive is you are indeed looking in the wrong place. <edit>

Edit: Ugh, autocorrect.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have seen Brachypelma smithi, Brachypelma vagans, Brachypelma albopilosum and so many others going for $125-$150 for Males and $250-300 for females not including shipping!
I'm not from the U.S and yes, while here in Europe T's are way damn cheaper, frankly asking $250 to $300 for a 0.1 B.albopilosum is pure crazyness even for the U.S market prices.

Who's that man/site where you spotted such prices, Al Capone?

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Specimens that have large sacs are typically less expensive. For those same prices you could grab half a dozen a. Genic slings and get at least one female.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not from the U.S and yes, while here in Europe T's are way damn cheaper, frankly asking $250 to $300 for a 0.1 B.albopilosum is pure crazyness even for the U.S market prices.
Not even Olive Garden will charge you that much for Italian pasta of theirs. :angelic:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
My god that pricing is the worst inflation in T. history ever. I can buy an adult or unsexed sub-adult A. avic for $25-$40. The classfields here is one of the only two places I buy T.'s, the other place is during expos. But I switch depending on what species i'm looking for. I hope you get the T.'s you're looking for.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Basically what everyone else has said. Also it just depends on the species. A 3-4" B. hamorii female is gonna run you easily double or sometimes triple that of a 3-4" specimen of another species. Slings meanwhile won't be that bad. The classifieds are certainly the way to go when you can access them. :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Just because a species is suitable for beginners doesn't mean that they're going to be inexpensive. Some of the most expensive females out there are beginner friendly - Brachypelma hamorii, Caribena versicolor, Grammostola pulchra to name a few. Level of experience required to keep them doesn't factor into how much an adult female is going to cost.
Factors that affect pricing are - availability, growth rate, ease of breeding, egg sac size, demand, sex - not experience required.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What are some good vendors?
Gotcha. Where can you find the Classifieds?
Moderator note: We don't allow links to online stores, dealers, or ads on the discussion boards (as they are akin to endorsements or advertisements), although members are free to share such links via private message.

Check out our Classifieds section. You'll find lots of spiders for sale by businesses and hobbyists. (You can't post replies in the Classifieds section. Contact the seller by sending a private message or using whatever contact method is specified in the thread or on the reviews page.)

If you are looking for a particular species, search Classifieds for the scientific name. The genus name is often abbreviated to the first initial, so if you are not finding results with the binomial, such as Brachypelma hamorii, try just the species name, such as hamorii. (Be aware that there are some species that share the same species name but belong to different genera, so check the genus before ordering.)

Whether you're buying from someone here or another Web site, you should read reviews here before ordering. (When you're reading a classified ad, you can quickly find the seller's review page by clicking the user name and then clicking "Reviews & Reports Page.") Don't forget to post a review after the transaction is complete.

Google is another way to find red flags, but I would disregard positive reviews on any site where the company being reviewed has editorial control (for example, on the company's Web site or on a Facebook page owned or moderated by the company).

Note: Many people recommend against buying spiders from stores that primarily deal in reptiles, as they often don't know what they are doing, and it's anyone's guess whether you will receive the species and sex you ordered.

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
@H3rmitHasTrantulas you need to look at multiple vendors. Also Craigslist tends to have people looking to sell their t's for cheap or even free at times so you may luck out their.